• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Not content with not selling zen5 desktop, it seems AMD wants to have a crack with Zen5 mobile parts too.

OEM complains AMD has doubled the price when comparing the new Zen5 mobile chips to Zen4

While Strix is a lot larger that is the extended of their extra costs.
In the meantime Lunar Lake uses a more expensive external node - TSMC 3N - for the compute plus TSMC 6nm for the IO plus far more expensive and advanced packaging.

So Intel's margins with Lunar Lake may need lower than Meteor Lake and Intel may feel they have little choice there.

A very bad time for AMD to try to raise or maintain margins, IMO.

I was looking forward to seeing what mini PCs with that in it would be like, but it sounds like they will be comically expensive.
Maybe the Lunar Lake GPU can be decent, and I can go Intel.

Death match between,

Mac mini,
Jeston AGX
Strix point
Pi5
Intel NUC/Canyon

YouTubers take note. The add revenue and heat in the comments section could spawn the first alfa 100 influencer.

AMD mini pcs tend to be expensive at first, after 6 months or so they tend to drop well in price.

Also many of these Asian companies like GMktec and miniforum's, check for bare bones and promos/sales since they are much cheaper.

AMD mini pcs tend to be expensive at first, after 6 months or so they tend to drop well in price.

Also many of these Asian companies like GMktec and miniforum's, check for bare bones and promos/sales since they are much cheaper.
Yep, just got a Ryzen 9 6900HX box (Zen3+) with 16GB Crucial DDR5 and 500Gb m2 SSD for just over £300. The price of the equivalent Zen 4 box was about double, so I imagine when the Zen 5 variants arrive they'll fall in price quite a bit.

Very impressed with it though, scores about 45% of my 5950x using only 54w of power. The Zen 5 variants should be excellent.

I'm on a 5700U based one, and still impressed at what you can get away with running (presuming your expectations are in-line).
2400G, 5560U, 5700U and then the Z1 Extreme in the Legion Go have all been fantastic.
Always want more GPU horsepower though. :D

Sure but its a good idea not to rush those, look what happened when they rushed Zen 5, they are in a better place now than they were at launch.

Everyone expects them to be very good, because they all have been, to have that expectation is a good thing for AMD because it comes from reputation, they need to keep proving they deserve that reputation, normal Zen 5 is one thing, but is X3D doesn't meet expectations on launch they will have much bigger problems.

Let them bake until they are ready.

Nothing's changing about its performance.
It is what it is at this point lol.

And X3D 7XXX series came out fairly quick I'd say as I rememebr building a mate a 7800X PC really early on after AM5's launch.
His partner has a 7800X3D not too long after.

And recently my brother was after a PC and we went 7800X3D over Ryzen 9XXX, if it'd have been a 9800X3D for say £400 he'd have gone with that.

Not content with not selling zen5 desktop, it seems AMD wants to have a crack with Zen5 mobile parts too.

OEM complains AMD has doubled the price when comparing the new Zen5 mobile chips to Zen4

Their strix point stuff is impressive, I mean it's a shame AMD have decided to ruin the budding handheld market with the pricing mind as I imagine we could have genuinely better handhelds now (Like a Rog Ally X with better performance)

We're missing the key piece here, what is the original and new price of the chips?
The article mentions one config being £400 more than the older version but that's clearly not just because the new chip costs £400 more.

Is it £20 > £40? £50 > £100 ?...

Unsure how reliable this is but they are saying that they are moving up the release of the 9800X3D to be released at the end of October

Wonder if they were caught by surprise, by Intel's gaming performance?
Could well be, with people having the option to choose between the 2 and AMD having no "Gaming" CPU out this could have forced them in to releasing it earlier to compete.

Kinda good as wanting to upgrade but didn't want to wait until next year so hopefully everything will be out sooner rather than later

The non-OC won't be too bad if they can push the clock to 5.3/5.4Ghz with some undervolting to stabilise at the top end.

It will need an external clock gen as per X670E boards to get the most out of it, as mine was locked at 5250 all the time as they love B Clock.

It'll be another flop like 9000 series, minimal generation upgrade over the 7800X3D, especially as they are rushing it out because of the low sales from 9000 series CPUs and what Intel are releasing soon, the real winners will be next year when the 9900X3D and 9950X3D comes out, they'll have more time to work on those and be able to fix what they mess up in a rushed 9800X3D release.

Last edited:
It'll be another flop like 9000 series, minimal generation upgrade over the 7800X3D, especially as they are rushing it out because of the low sales from 9000 series CPUs and what Intel are releasing soon, the real winners will be next year when the 9900X3D and 9950X3D comes out, they'll have more time to work on those and be able to fix what they mess up in a rushed 9800X3D release.
I'm not as up on Zen 5 as I should be but I thought the whole point of the 7800X3D and the 9800X3D was that is was a single CCD so all the cores could access the extra cache and there were no inter CCD latencies? That was why it was so popular with gamers?
I'm totally prepared to be educated on this, I don't game that much on my PC anymore so don't keep up with the latest architectures as much as I should.

Back
Top Bottom