• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

It'll be another flop like 9000 series, minimal generation upgrade over the 7800X3D, especially as they are rushing it out because of the low sales from 9000 series CPUs and what Intel are releasing soon, the real winners will be next year when the 9900X3D and 9950X3D comes out, they'll have more time to work on those and be able to fix what they mess up in a rushed 9800X3D release.

Why would it flop? It'll be better than the 7800X3D

The issue for the 9800X etc was that the X3D from the 7XXX series was kicking about in the benchmarks

The issue for the 9800X etc was that the X3D from the 7XXX series was kicking about in the benchmarks

I think there were also a few over optimistic claims from AMD as well! For gamers who are on Zen 4, it is a disappointment, there isn't yet enough of a performance jump to justify the upgrade.
For non gaming tasks, it is a very good CPU, probably not for |Zen 4 owners but for anyone before that I think it is a very good upgrade.

I should also admit I have bought a 9950X so Im not exactly neutral, but from 3930k to 9950X, Im more than happy

I think there were also a few over optimistic claims from AMD as well! For gamers who are on Zen 4, it is a disappointment, there isn't yet enough of a performance jump to justify the upgrade.
For non gaming tasks, it is a very good CPU, probably not for |Zen 4 owners but for anyone before that I think it is a very good upgrade.

I should also admit I have bought a 9950X so Im not exactly neutral, but from 3930k to 9950X, Im more than happy

Oh I don't think it'll be worth it for anyone already on AM5 (Unless they've got say a 7600x or whatever, but at the moment I'd say if you're on AM4 a 7XXX series X3D is more desirable than a 9XXX series chip, that will change with 9XXX X3D

Because it's rushed.

They also said the 9700X would perform close to the 7800X3D, and look how that turned out.

They've only just fixed the C2C latency out, previously something stupid like 180ns lol, my 7950X3D is still performing better than 9000 series after the fix, I'm getting between 69 to 71ns, 9000 is still at around 76 to 78ns.

Last edited:
Because it's rushed.

They also said the 9700X would perform close to the 7800X3D, and look how that turned out.

They've only just fixed the C2C latency out, previously something stupid like 180ns lol, my 7950X3D is still performing better than 9000 series after the fix, I'm getting between 69 to 71ns, 9000 is still at around 76 to 78ns.
Not sure if you have a 4090, but if you do you can compare your 7950X3D to my 9950X in Cyberpunk using the built in benchmark.

Settings below were done using the 'High' preset option from the Graphics menu. The only change is to then Apply FSR Quality mode and restart the game and then launch the built in benchmark. The game is CPU limited in this scenario.
PLrmqvN.jpeg

If you are wondering why these specific settings, I Just happened to copy the settings used by Tech Yes City in one of his videos.

Qd9O4va.png

Note, if you disable SMT you should get a small uptick in CPU performance in this game.

Memory settings used.
gFzV9KU.png

EDIT - At some point I will put my own 7950X3D back into my system to test how it scales up in the same scenario.

Last edited:
Because it's rushed.

Is it rushed though? Guessing it has been in development for at least 2 years and we do not know what AMDs launch schedule was in teh first place, we only have guesses. In Jayz video he also mentioned that there are improvements that will increase performance. Obviously at the moment its all conjecture but untill reviews are out it is definitely to early to say it will flow and we certainly have no idea if they rushed it or not (original rumors had it launching end of this month with teh X870 motherboards, so taking that into consideration it could well of been delayed)

Is it rushed though? Guessing it has been in development for at least 2 years and we do not know what AMDs launch schedule was in teh first place, we only have guesses. In Jayz video he also mentioned that there are improvements that will increase performance. Obviously at the moment its all conjecture but untill reviews are out it is definitely to early to say it will flow and we certainly have no idea if they rushed it or not (original rumors had it launching end of this month with teh X870 motherboards, so taking that into consideration it could well of been delayed)

But then at the same time, it doesn't make sense why they wouldn't release the whole line up, they've got the zen 5 CCDs from 9900X 9950X etc, and obviously got the 3D cache CCDs for the 9800X3D.

Make me a bit suspicious that's all, release the 9800X3D and see how well it performs and sells, then we as AMD will know what we have to do to improve on the 2 CCD models Q1 2025 to get them to sell.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have a 4090, but if you do you can compare your 7950X3D to my 9950X in Cyberpunk using the built in benchmark.

Settings below were done using the 'High' preset option from the Graphics menu. The only change is to then Apply FSR Quality mode and restart the game and then launch the built in benchmark. The game is CPU limited in this scenario.
PLrmqvN.jpeg

If you are wondering why these specific settings, I Just happened to copy the settings used by Tech Yes City in one of his videos.

Qd9O4va.png

Note, if you disable SMT you should get a small uptick in CPU performance in this game.

Memory settings used.
gFzV9KU.png

EDIT - At some point I will put my own 7950X3D back into my system to test how it scales up in the same scenario.

Probably the only comparison I could give you between yours and mine is the C2C latency test, I'm running similar timings, 34-45-40-45-1T at 8000MT/s, but your GPU will walk all over mine, I've got a 7800XT and don't have cyberpunk.

EDIT: the trouble with benchmarks etc is you would have frequency advantage.

Last edited:
But then at the same time, it doesn't make sense why they wouldn't release the whole line up, they've got the zen 5 CCDs from 9900X 9950X etc, and obviously got the 3D cache CCDs for the 9800X3D.

Make me a bit suspicious that's all, release the 9800X3D and see how well it performs and sells, then we as AMD will know what we have to do to improve on the 2 CCD models Q1 2025 to get them to sell.

If you read the Videocardz link further up it says that the 9900x3d and 9950x3d will have some new features over the 9800x3d so could it be that they have done something to improve the performance on these two (unlike where the 7900x3d and 7950x3d usually get beaten by the 7800x3d) so they are much better than the 9800x3d? More 3d cache or both CCX's using the 3d cache maybe? If they all launched together and those two are significantly quicker than the 9800x3d then nobody would end up buying the latter. This way they get a few months worth of sales out of the 9800x3d before launching the other two. Just speculation on my part but there has to be a reason for the staggered release.

Rumors suggesting a 9600x3d will come quite soon which has been in development since the start, but then like the 9800x3d its pretty much up vs the 7800x3d due to price.
Considering what happened to the 7800x3d burning sockets early on, probably just best to wait until all sku's are out and the first price drops happen.

If you read the Videocardz link further up it says that the 9900x3d and 9950x3d will have some new features over the 9800x3d so could it be that they have done something to improve the performance on these two (unlike where the 7900x3d and 7950x3d usually get beaten by the 7800x3d) so they are much better than the 9800x3d? More 3d cache or both CCX's using the 3d cache maybe? If they all launched together and those two are significantly quicker than the 9800x3d then nobody would end up buying the latter. This way they get a few months worth of sales out of the 9800x3d before launching the other two. Just speculation on my part but there has to be a reason for the staggered release.
I saw this to. Should be really interesting. Considering the 9900 and 9950X 3D are being announced as CES i would guess the improvement is worthy of a keynote, may even make me upgrade from my 7950X 3d

Let’s say a 9800X3D is 10% faster than a 7800X3D but costs 30% more than the current pricing or 50% more than when the 7800X3D was around £300, does that make it a good deal?

Back
Top Bottom