• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

? 8 cores are 100% required for current games. There are a few, such as Cyberpunk, that actually struggle with 8 cores already.

In 2025, when Zen5 launches, there will be even more games that struggle.

IMO a 12 or 16 core CPU bought today would have longevity for a few years, not a 8 core one.

You need to define the word struggle I think.

Chips like the 7700X seem able to run games pretty comfortably* to me. The 7800X3D runs games incredibly well. Second to only the 7950X3D

Last edited:
I don't even consider the X3D chips for anything outside of gaming. If you need something for production that's not where you should be looking. If you make money with it just buy whatever is the fastest for your workload.

Yeah I don't think there is any doubt that more cores should last longer, what I should have said is from my experience, I am not convinced on the utilisation outside of gaming, especially after seeing the 78003d vs the more expensive models.

Those reviews that show the 7800X/X3D being so good are also using 100% clean systems with no background applications. Normal real use would see people have youtube, spotify, discord, few other applications perhaps running. This can tank 8 core performance in my experience.

If you're happy to close everything apart from one game then you can get away with it for longer I guess.

? 8 cores are 100% required for current games. There are a few, such as Cyberpunk, that actually struggle with 8 cores already.

In 2025, when Zen5 launches, there will be even more games that struggle.

IMO a 12 or 16 core CPU bought today would have longevity for a few years, not a 8 core one.
That is not correct.
99+% of games can do 4 cores or less which is the sweetspot for games.
Only a few newer game engines that threads well benefit from 6 or 8 cores.

what matters are, ipc and frequencey and especially X3D technology for games.
dx9 had one single core and why today 2 core boosting usually is better overall for gamers.

anyhow, awaits the 8 core x3d tech upgrade next year from amd

Both using ddr4 ? And showing 1080p with 4090 ? Think it's still good enough for a while yet

But in the real world I mean who buys 12/13th gen and uses ddr4.
There is no way I would move to a faster cpu then gimp it.. the guy is right the 13th gen is faster there is no two way about it.

But in the real world I mean who buys 12/13th gen and uses ddr4.
There is no way I would move to a faster cpu then gimp it.. the guy is right the 13th gen is faster there is no two way about it.

True but it still has it's place, for someone just to drop in cpu without having to buy board / ram and still getting top gaming performance

I wouldn't buy if building from new

True but it still has it's place, for someone just to drop in cpu without having to buy board / ram and still getting top gaming performance

I wouldn't buy if building from new
It’s a fantastic cpu. And if on a budget it’s still a good buy. And £40 used board can run it easy. And with 16gb of ddr4 need about £30. You can have a very good gaming bundle for under £300.

Back
Top Bottom