• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Poor that it's hardly an increase in overall performance is the point. If a new console came out and it was barely if anything better than the previous machine I think it would be fair to say people would call it a flop.
but smaller, cooler, quieter and a little bit faster - why not?

I'm pleased that I got the 7800X3D when I did (right after Ryzen 9000 reviews landed) because I could see then that it wasn't worth waiting for. Paid £320 for it, which I'm happy with. Won't be upgrading to 9800X3D!

It was on offer for around £280 a few weeks before the launch,so decided to take a risk and get one. Was a good idea in retrospect! Although seen a Ryzen 9 7950X3D for £425!

It's definitely not a 'bad' gaming CPU, so that's definitely a bad take.

That's normal Rroff, and it applies to AMD CPUs as well. Using Ultra Settings, higher resolution it will just result in lower CPU power draw and group all the CPUs closer together in terms of pure performance. The higher resolution, and image quality settings, the less the CPU has to work and the more it moves to the GPU.

If HUB reran their tests and used low settings, the Zen 5 CPUs would pull further head of Zen 4 that what is shown in this chart below.

Some of the HUB 9700X results are a little odd too. For example, they have the 7700X 4 FPS faster than the 9700X in Cyberpunk at 1080P, yet Computer base have the 9700X 9% faster than the 7700X in their testing of the same game at 720P.

It seems to me these days that channel has a narrative it wishes to maintain, for no real reason other than it gets him views, its the drama, people like for example Frame Chasers aren't some insane AMD hating lunatic, he figures a lot of high drama hyperbole videos gets him views (he's not wrong) and AMD are the softest target, he wouldn't dare make Nvidia his target for hyperbolic drama, think about how Nvidia would deal with him if he did?

HUB are not all that different, they are more subtle about it but its the same thing, he needs to maintain AMD always hating their user base, always being overpriced and always thumbling around like clowns making mistakes, right now the theme is Zen 5 is an incompetent bodged launch and the CPU's underperform, now you know as well as i do you don't need to lie on your charts to set a narrative, both Computer Base and HUB can be true and accurate, with that said you can easily get a predefined desired result, truthfully, simply by using your knowledge of how performance benchmarking works.

Now... if one was to acknolage these problems and one was to ask Nvidia how they deal with it they would say "don't be the **** pray stupid"

Last edited:
but smaller, cooler, quieter and a little bit faster - why not?
Don't forget the "more expensive" tag.
I don't get the desperate need to defend the 9000 series tbh. It's not quite as bad as Intel just pushing out the same CPU and calling it 14th gen, but I'd say it's just a little worse than an Ivybridge.

humbug as always not missing a chance to take the snipe at Steve.

AMD and Intel are both scumbag companies. There is no need to defend either of them right now. If these next Intel Core chips come out and are the same/worse performance, we should also be laughing at them. With the heavy AMD bias here, we don't need to worry about that part though.

I don't get the desperate need to defend the 9000 series tbh. It's not quite as bad as Intel just pushing out the same CPU and calling it 14th gen, but I'd say it's just a little worse than an Ivybridge.

AMD and Intel are both scumbag companies. There is no need to defend either of them right now. If these next Intel Core chips come out and are the same/worse performance, we should also be laughing at them. With the heavy AMD bias here, we don't need to worry about that part though.

Oh please do pass on my musing about him to him.

I think Zen 5 is a decent enough performance uplift for the money. My only real gripe is AMD not moving to a 10-16 core CCD.

I was going to wait for the 9800x3d but I fear my trusty 4790k isn't long for this world. So I may have to get the 7800x3d or 7950x3d both of which should last me a fair while. Also, looking at the leaks (which may not be 100% accurate) is doesn't seems like I be missing out on a ton of performance.

I was going to wait for the 9800x3d but I fear my trusty 4790k isn't long for this world. So I may have to get the 7800x3d or 7950x3d both of which should last me a fair while. Also, looking at the leaks (which may not be 100% accurate) is doesn't seems like I be missing out on a ton of performance.
Good deals on the 7950X3D at the moment. If you want longevity that seems a pretty decent prospect. There's cheap boards that will run it no bother and DDR5 prices are pretty cheap too.

Last edited:
One thing that made my eyes roll from HWU recently was (when comparing the 5800x3d and 9000 series chips) something along the lines of:

“Here the 9000 series chip is notably faster, but remember the 5800x3d is older, so you have to take that into account.”

:confused: - that’s like saying “the old chip is slower, but we’ll let it off because it’s older.” - pointless niggle.

It felt like he was totally unable to let it have a ‘win’ without a caveat.

Also worth reiterating, the 7000 vs 9000 x3ds series stuff will be 4090 limited at launch. If the GPU is at 100% in these current tests (which I think it is…? not sure) then we’ll only really get an idea of the difference once the 5090 is out.

But if you’re sticking with a 4090 and the results show little differences between 7000 and 9000, then that would suggest there’s no need to upgrade.

And if there is no material difference between 7000 / 9000 x3ds even with a 5090 then there’s definitely no need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Are we expecting the new CUDIMM to give a performance boost. Looks like an interesting technology allowing much faster speeds.

Back
Top Bottom