• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
Only in multithreading which if that was the priority you could have just bought 13600k a couple of years back for the same price instead.

No, it would be in all scenarios wouldn’t it.

The 13600k wouldn’t get close to the performance of 9700X.

Caporegime
The 13600K because of its 6 P cores with the rest being E cores is a bit like the RTX 3070...

Oh sure it fine now but what when games start spilling over the 6 P core in to the E cores not out of choice but necessity?

I'd rather just have 8 proper cores...

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD themselves hyped Zen 5 and the results don't show what they were excited about IMO, just seems an ok increase.
I'm not sure what you were expecting, it's a good increase considering the node it's being built on isn't a full shrink.

You shouldn't take these leaps in performance for granted as it's becoming harder and harder to keep pushing the performance envelope given all the problems with quantum tunnelling as we make transistors smaller and smaller even with Finfet technology (12 years old now).

Soldato
I'm not sure what you were expecting, it's a good increase considering the node it's being built on isn't a full shrink.

You shouldn't take these leaps in performance for granted as it's becoming harder and harder to keep pushing the performance envelope given all the problems with quantum tunnelling as we make transistors smaller and smaller even with Finfet technology (12 years old now).
It came across from them as if it would be a bigger than average increase is all.

Caporegime
To quote TechSpot.

There's been a lot of speculation around Zen 5's IPC figures lately; we've seen estimates ranging from a 5% gain to some pretty outrageous claims of over 30%. So it's good to finally get some confirmation here. This is a typical IPC gain compared to AMD's previous architectures: Zen 4 versus Zen 3 was a 13% uplift, Zen 3 versus Zen 2 a 19% uplift, and Zen 2 was around the 15% mark over Zen 1 and Zen+. Provided AMD's claims are accurate, this demonstrates a very consistent pace of execution with each major Zen architecture.

Man of Honour
That seems like a decent deal, although £140 is what i would expect a new, "fancy" mobo to cost. I may be slightly out of touch though
we're talking about 16 months ago, £150 got you a "decent enough" mobo for AM5
nowadays "fancy" is in excess of £200, more like the £250 range

15 months ago, if i'd have bought those parts new...it would've cost: 7600 £220, mobo £190, ram £130 = £540
so, saved £180 (1/3) off new prices by buying used components

Last edited:
Associate
That's pretty good, my usual target when buying used goods but current generation, still in warranty stuff is roughly 70%

Can't wait till I can get MM access and get disappointed

Soldato
The 13600K because of its 6 P cores with the rest being E cores is a bit like the RTX 3070...

Oh sure it fine now but what when games start spilling over the 6 P core in to the E cores not out of choice but necessity?

I'd rather just have 8 proper cores...
Sure 6 cores won't last as long as 8 but the point I was making to Jigger was that for anyone upgrading a 7600X to 9700X the main gain right now would be the extra MT performance which is why I said they could have just gone with a 13600k for a similar outlay initially and had the extra MT performance without the need to spend more and upgrade.

Man of Honour
Can't wait till I can get MM access and get disappointed

the prices are usually only slightly less than ebay (just cutting out the middleman fees)
the benefit is more that you know that the sellers would be decent, have taken care of the items and would usually help with warranty, instead of some joe bloggs off ebay/FB/gumtree

of course there can be deals to be had occasionally if someone feels charitable...i've done some and also benefitted from some as well :)

Soldato
the prices are usually only slightly less than ebay (just cutting out the middleman fees)
the benefit is more that you know that the sellers would be decent, have taken care of the items and would usually help with warranty, instead of some joe bloggs off ebay/FB/gumtree

of course there can be deals to be had occasionally if someone feels charitable...i've done some and also benefitted from some as well :)
You can currently import CPUs like the 7700 for around £140

Back
Top Bottom