• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Tbh I haven't done a whole lot of research. My general outlook is to buy the best/2nd best of an ageing platform rather than be on the bleeding edge.

In my mind am5 is still new

I thought motherboards and ddr5 were very expensive though, guess they've got cheaper?
Probably the smarter thing to do when things aren't moving forward massively.

I think I will be looking to move on from the 5950x I've got right now, but to what, I guess I'll see what the releases and costs of each look like.

8/16 @ 65w is pretty insane. Assume there’ll be a decent bit of overclocking headroom there.
In the days of everything being pre overclocking from the factory, that would be something we've not seen for a while.

Alternatively it may be that the stock clocks are simply the max sane clocks. By which I mean, if increasing the TDP to 200W only increases performance by 1% then it makes little sense to clock higher.

Power craziness may not be over yet though.. Imagine Intel find that Arrow Lake is tied with Zen5 but are willng to crank up power so they they win by 1% to 2% even if that is at the cost of double the power? I hope we don't see more of that nonsense

In my mind am5 is still new
I thought motherboards and ddr5 were very expensive though, guess they've got cheaper?
my current main (AM5) was bought used about a year ago, i spent £140 on a 7600, £80 on 32gb gskill ddr6000cl32, £140 on a msi b650m mortar...so £360 all in

deals are to be had if you don't mind spending the time/are lucky

In the days of everything being pre overclocking from the factory, that would be something we've not seen for a while.

Alternatively it may be that the stock clocks are simply the max sane clocks. By which I mean, if increasing the TDP to 200W only increases performance by 1% then it makes little sense to clock higher.

Power craziness may not be over yet though.. Imagine Intel find that Arrow Lake is tied with Zen5 but are willng to crank up power so they they win by 1% to 2% even if that is at the cost of double the power? I hope we don't see more of that nonsense
Or it could be a limitation of the TSMC 4NM process they are using?

Zen5 has the lowest Gen on Gen performance increase of any Ryzen so far

Is AMD holding back or are we past the peak and riding into the sunset with Zen, is the architecture approaching a tank with little left to give?

One other interesting bit I noticed; desktop Zen5 has no NPU. The laptop Zen5 APUs do have the NPU, but desktop doesn't, where as Intel is including an NPU in its desktop Arrow Lake CPUs

Last edited:

Is AMD holding back or are we past the peak and riding into the sunset with Zen, is the architecture approaching a tank with little left to give?

They doubled Instruction Bandwidth, Data Bandwidth, improved branch prediction accuracy and latency, wider pipelines and vectors.

They gone through the whole thing and improved it for really not much gain, so yes i think this version of Zen (its based on Zen 2) has peaked.

Zen 6 is brand new.

Last edited:

One other interesting bit I noticed; desktop Zen5 has no NPU. The laptop Zen5 APUs do have the NPU, but desktop doesn't, where as Intel is including an NPU in its desktop Arrow Lake CPUs

Are you ignoring the massive TDP drop? 15% uplift for 40% less power isn’t something to be sniffed at.

Last edited:
For the amount of work they did to it i think they were expecting more, the architecture is just as efficient as its ever going to get, its out of steam.

It holds firm and beats Intel's newer architecture, which is now in its second iteration and is much more massive.

Its been an incredibly good architecture, but its done. :)

Last edited:

The NPU is not really necessary if you have a dGPU so I guess they left it out to keep cost down. The Intel NPU is really weak compared to any Nvidia 40 series GPU.

When is the actual info out - rather than just leaks?

Real info...

Real info...

Thanks. Will Zen 6 work on AM5 or is that just wishful thinking?

They doubled Instruction Bandwidth, Data Bandwidth, improved branch prediction accuracy and latency, wider pipelines and vectors.

They gone through the whole thing and improved it for really not much gain, so yes i think this version of Zen (its based on Zen 2) has peaked.

Zen 6 is brand new.

Maybe the 3D version will be able to feed all that stuff better? And we'll see bigger gains there?

I really hate all these AI buzzwords that basically do nothing for the average consumer outside of chatgpt.

give me raw data and raw facts, performance figures etc and even then its over inflated.

Back
Top Bottom