• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
It’s an Asus XG-C100C https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wired-networking/all-series/xg-c100c/

It works very well, but doesn’t support WOL. None of the cards on the market at the time I bought did, but I think there is one now.

My current editing system is many years old (x99 8 core 6900K), so long overdue for a refresh.

Ah ok, I didnt know. I have the same one in my main PC. But I have Intel X540-T2 in my other machines. Not sure if they support WOL, the NIC are cheap off ebay.

Associate
Sounds all well and good but as someone who doesn't download much, wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me. Tbh I only got 1GB as it was free, happy with 512.
I host my own Plex server and used to have a symmetrical 1gig connection. Unfortunately since moving house, I can only get 1000/100 which is a bit of a shame.

Associate
Ah ok, I didnt know. I have the same one in my main PC. But I have Intel X540-T2 in my other machines. Not sure if they support WOL, the NIC are cheap off ebay.
I don't think they do, as I almost bought one off Ebay for my Synology NAS. Rumours about compatibility issues with some third party cards put me off, and I ended up with the Synology branded one which has been faultless.

This time around I'm hoping for an AM5 motherboard with a built in 10G port, 2xM2 slots, USB4 (ideally front-panel connector), but without all the bells, whistles and pricetag of the current top end models.

Caporegime
These were just desktop CPU, server (Epyc) and mobile chip announcements? Be a while until new APUs are announced?

Might upgrade my aging 2400G HTPC and was aiming for either the 8600/8700G but could wait longer if newer APUs are around the corner.

Associate
Out of interest, what's the use case for a 10gb port in non server functions?
For me large file transfers from server to my main rig/ 100's pf ;arge RAW files and Video content.

I thought I was doing pretty well with my 1 gig connection, didn't realise even faster connections were available to non business users!
I currently have the EE 1.6Gbps offering so at least WiFi 7 and 2.5Gbps LAN ports are essential. Ror reference my brother is streaming a movie at the moment and i have Youtube running in the background

uwL5Uh0.jpeg

1HpJTfa.jpeg

Associate
For me large file transfers from server to my main rig/ 100's pf ;arge RAW files and Video content.

I currently have the EE 1.6Gbps offering so at least WiFi 7 and 2.5Gbps LAN ports are essential. Ror reference my brother is streaming a movie at the moment and i have Youtube running in the background

uwL5Uh0.jpeg

1HpJTfa.jpeg
You guys are playing chess while I'm still playing checkers!

Although it would be nice if the upload was a little higher too!

For a brief period my symmetrical 1gig connection when city fibre first installed the line was great

Soldato

For a brief period my symmetrical 1gig connection when city fibre first installed the line was great

You can get 10 gigabit symmetric plans in many areas if you’re prepared to pay. The cost will be at least 10x a typical package though.

Associate
You can get 10 gigabit symmetric plans in many areas if you’re prepared to pay. The cost will be at least 10x a typical package though.
Yeeeeah I'm not sure that would class as a justifiable expense to occasionally watch some UHD shows on iPlayer

Running speedtest would be good though

Soldato
Yeeeeah I'm not sure that would class as a justifiable expense to occasionally watch some UHD shows on iPlayer

Running speedtest would be good though

Yeah, I looked at a 1.6 gigabit up down plan for the house and decided I’d rather wait longer to upload anything I needed than pay 5x the price. I’m happy with the performance. I get around 140-150 up.

Soldato

I'm not in the UK anymore but in mainland Europe. This is the standard package many have here.

8iQxYhc.jpeg

But this is running through my Dream Machine SE, Netgear SX512EM Switch and a few 10gbe cards in my machines.

I don't expect to see any manufactures putting 10gbe LAN for standard desktops. We just starting to see 2.5gbe LAN's now after so many years.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, Zen 5 looks like a reasonable boost, if those IPC increases look to be true. Any rumours on the x3D parts, as likely holding out for those for a system upgrade :)

Got a few titles starting to feel a little CPU limited etc, and would like something faster sooner or later, so my current machine can be switched to the backup/bedroom machine and the 10700K doing that retired/switched to server duties, or sold.
Been very impressed with the overall performance of my wife's 7800X3D and 7900XT, so definately considering a 9800X3D or whatever its called when it arrives.

Last edited:
Associate

uwL5Uh0.jpeg

1HpJTfa.jpeg

1.8Gbps.... The uni I work for with > 10,000 users only has a 10gig link to JANET...

Soldato
I'm not in the UK anymore but in mainland Europe. This is the standard package many have here.

8iQxYhc.jpeg

But this is running through my Dream Machine SE, Netgear SX512EM Switch and a few 10gbe cards in my machines.

I don't expect to see any manufactures putting 10gbe LAN for standard desktops. We just starting to see 2.5gbe LAN's now after so many years.

My first Ryzen boards (X370) had 5 gigabit networking in 2017.

Associate
My main issue with Zen5 and ARL will be how much more powerful a 5090 will be over a 4090. If that delta is similar going from a 3090 to a 4090, then both cpu platforms will be a bottleneck for high hz gaming at 1440p UW which is disappointing.

Last edited:
Soldato
These were just desktop CPU, server (Epyc) and mobile chip announcements? Be a while until new APUs are announced?

Might upgrade my aging 2400G HTPC and was aiming for either the 8600/8700G but could wait longer if newer APUs are around the corner.

Yeah, I think the X3D and APU’s will come later.

Soldato
So, Zen 5 looks like a reasonable boost, if those IPC increases look to be true. Any rumours on the x3D parts, as likely holding out for those for a system upgrade :)

Got a few titles starting to feel a little CPU limited etc, and would like something faster sooner or later, so my current machine can be switched to the backup/bedroom machine and the 10700K doing that retired/switched to server duties, or sold.
Been very impressed with the overall performance of my wife's 7800X3D and 7900XT, so definately considering a 9800X3D or whatever its called when it arrives.

Reasonable boost over what? 14900k? Zen4X3D already beats 14900k in games.

It'll lose to some games vs Zen4 X3D chips and win vs some. Zen5X3D should be amazing, but probably 9-12 months away, depending how good Arrow Lake from Intel is.

Back
Top Bottom