• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

They doubled Instruction Bandwidth, Data Bandwidth, improved branch prediction accuracy and latency, wider pipelines and vectors.

They gone through the whole thing and improved it for really not much gain, so yes i think this version of Zen (its based on Zen 2) has peaked.

Zen 6 is brand new.

I'm definitely skipping AM5 now.

The naming convention on those mobile CPU's.......just as bad as Intel. Say what you want about Apple but at least they know how to name their products.

16% is good considering 4nm isn't a proper node shrink, that's about what Zen 2 gave us if I recall and the X3D variants should give an additional 20% bump on top of the base model (probably held in reserve for when 15th gen Intel shows up). Come December Freddie might be retiring his Ryzen 3600 and upgrading to a 9800 X3D.....we shall see (maybe Intel will surprise us all).

Last edited:
If I had to pick, heres whats most interesting to me in these new processors
Notice all these sorta-single-low-threaded latency sensitive benchmarks in IPC slide

browser benchmarks: kraken, webxprt, speedometer, octane
game known for being CPU latency sensitive: Farcry
even Puget adobe

These are all what I would consider proxy benchmarks for general desktop responsiveness. And all where Ryzen 7xxx is (slightly) behind Intel top cpus [brute forcing single thread clocks]
Better latency is great across the board, and should also translate to better 1% lows for many games

3Fmv5h5mwbb92VVi.jpg

PS. But clocks are not exciting at all. A 100 MHz bump for lower CPUs, none for top. Meh
16% ipc increase in nearly 2 years only works out at 8% per year, Haswell to Broadwell during the intel stagnation years was 5% over a year so its not like AMD is pulling up trees here.

that was a pleasant suprise...they'd only spoken of 2025 previously. I guess they weren't sure if zen 6 would be on am5 or am6
Supporting AM5 just means they’ll continue to release CPUs on the platform but doesn’t necessary mean Zen 6 and could just be more Zen5 refreshes, technically they are still even supporting AM4 with new Zen3 chips that they just revealed.

The likelihood is that Zen6 will be on AM5 but don’t take anything for granted until its confirmed.

Last edited:
my current main (AM5) was bought used about a year ago, i spent £140 on a 7600, £80 on 32gb gskill ddr6000cl32, £140 on a msi b650m mortar...so £360 all in

deals are to be had if you don't mind spending the time/are lucky
That seems like a decent deal, although £140 is what i would expect a new, "fancy" mobo to cost. I may be slightly out of touch though

16% ipc increase in nearly 2 years only works out at 8% per year, Haswell to Broadwell during the intel stagnation years was 5% over a year so its not like AMD is pulling up trees here.
Yea, I agree its nothing that exciting, thats why I said "if I had to pick something interesting" [about Zen5 announcement]
definitely feels like a step in tick-tock cadence, basically same node/clock speed but a tweaked architecture

but I do like the focus on latency sensitive benchmarks instead of usual roflstomping of multithreaded workloads

for comparison, zen4 ipc slide contained many games, quite a few benches that load a single thread completely (which don't really matter in real life). And only one browser benchmark
Of course that IPC gain felt like a bonus to massively increased clock speeds anyway. We don't get that with Zen5

AMD-Zen-4-IPC-Uplift.jpg

Last edited:
Zen 5 seems to be peak 'old Zen' whereas Zen 6 is a brand new take which will possibly come with a socket change. I'll wait for that at least I think before considering a switch.

Haswell to Broadwell was three generations.

Haswell to DC was a clockspeed bump the ICP boost was a couple of percent.

Last edited:
Yea, I agree its nothing that exciting, thats why I said "if I had to pick something interesting" [about Zen5 announcement]
definitely feels like a step in tick-tock cadence, basically same node/clock speed but a tweaked architecture

but I do like the focus on latency sensitive benchmarks instead of usual roflstomping of multithreaded workloads

for comparison, zen4 ipc slide contained many games, quite a few benches that load a single thread completely (which don't really matter in real life). And only one browser benchmark
Of course that IPC gain felt like a bonus to massively increased clock speeds anyway. We don't get that with Zen5

AMD-Zen-4-IPC-Uplift.jpg

To be fair to match Zen 4 vs Zen 3 clock speed increase (+21%) Zen 5 would have to be running at about 7 Ghz.

So yes while the IPC is a little better from Zen 4 to 5 than it was Zen 3 to 4 there is perhaps only another 2% with clock speeds.

I think this is decent, but this is from a perspective of someone still on a Ryzen 5800X, to me a Ryzen 9700X is a gigantic upgrade and probably for £100 less than what i paid for that 5800X.

I certainly think to equate this to what Intel was doing pre-Ryzen is utterly ridiculous.

I think what people should do is skip every one generation. If you're on Zen 4 wait for Zen 6, if like me you're on Zen 3 this is great.....

Last edited:
To be fair to match Zen 4 vs Zen 3 clock speed increase (+21%) Zen 5 would have to be running at about 7 Ghz.

So yes while the IPC is a little better from Zen 4 to 5 than it was Zen 3 to 4 there is perhaps only another 2% with clock speeds.

I think this is decent, but this is from a perspective of someone still on a Ryzen 5800X, to me a Ryzen 9700X is a gigantic upgrade and probably for £100 less than what i paid for that 5800X.

I certainly think to equate this to what Intel was doing pre-Ryzen is utterly ridiculous.

I think what people should do is skip every one generation. If you're on Zen 4 wait for Zen 6, if like me you're on Zen 3 this is great.....
Why wouldn’t u just get a knock down 7800X3D though it’ll be cheaper and faster in gaming than a 9700X while still having very good efficiency, who is the 9700X really aimed at?

Depends what you’re upgrading from. A 7600X to a 9700X would be a huge jump in performance.

Back
Top Bottom