• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
Supporting AM5 just means they’ll continue to release CPUs on the platform but doesn’t necessary mean Zen 6 and could just be more Zen5 refreshes, technically they are still even supporting AM4 with new Zen3 chips that they just revealed.

The likelihood is that Zen6 will be on AM5 but don’t take anything for granted until its confirmed.
That's an important point and one that I'd like to see clarified.
Based on AM4, the chips released after AM5 was released don't extend the platform higher up the chain.
Although, Ryzen 9 5900XT is a potential 16C bargain!

So if Arrow Lake flies straight into a good dog fight with Zen 5 and Intel confirm that the platform will also support Panther Lake, I'd like to see AMD go on the record with Zen 6 and AM5. Surely they know by now!
I'm heavily leaning towards AM5 but the above could swing it.
It would be ironic to choose Intel based on platform support longevity. :)

Soldato
OP
I knew something had to give with that TDP reduction and I found it

Ryzen 9000 CPUs run lower base Clocks than Ryzen 7000. While AMD advertises the same single core boost clock, it's likely that Ryzen 9000 CPUs run at lower all core clocks than Ryzen 7000

Soldato
I knew something had to give with that TDP reduction and I found it

Ryzen 9000 CPUs run lower base Clocks than Ryzen 7000. While AMD advertises the same single core boost clock, it's likely that Ryzen 9000 CPUs run at lower all core clocks than Ryzen 7000

I’m sure we’ll find out what’s what soon enough. It will be nice if AMD have gotten +16% performance for 40% less power. Well, as long as you’re not Intel. That would be very bad for Intel.

Last edited:
Associate
Sure 6 cores won't last as long as 8 but the point I was making to Jigger was that for anyone upgrading a 7600X to 9700X the main gain right now would be the extra MT performance which is why I said they could have just gone with a 13600k for a similar outlay initially and had the extra MT performance without the need to spend more and upgrade.
A 9700X should have about 20% better single core performance than a 7600x which would still be a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
very nice chips but like I mentioned before, not really going to be that worth it for people who are only 1-2 generations behind unless into competitive gaming.
want to see how these compare with the last gen X3D chips when it comes to gaming, they should be outperforming but I dont think the gains are going to be that big

Associate
Out of interest, what's the use case for a 10gb port in non server functions?
In my case it’s having a NAS with 10gb port which I use for storing and editing photos and video. I have a wired 10G network in my house. Although I currently have a 10Gb/s card in one of my slots, it doesn’t support Wake On Lan so I have to also use the on board 1Gb/s port when I need to access and edit photos remotely.
It looks like I’ll be able to upgrade to a 1.8Gb/s internet connection in the near future once my current contract expires.

Associate
In my case it’s having a NAS with 10gb port which I use for storing and editing photos and video. I have a wired 10G network in my house. Although I currently have a 10Gb/s card in one of my slots, it doesn’t support Wake On Lan so I have to also use the on board 1Gb/s port when I need to access and edit photos remotely.
It looks like I’ll be able to upgrade to a 1.8Gb/s internet connection in the near future once my current contract expires.
I thought I was doing pretty well with my 1 gig connection, didn't realise even faster connections were available to non business users!

Soldato
I thought I was doing pretty well with my 1 gig connection, didn't realise even faster connections were available to non business users!

Sounds all well and good but as someone who doesn't download much, wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me. Tbh I only got 1GB as it was free, happy with 512.

Soldato
Which card do you have?

Associate
EE have 1.8g available in many areas, and Virgin and others have started rolling out up to 2g. It’s a niche/headline product so it’s more expensive at £70/month but expect prices will drop once it’s more widely available.

Back
Top Bottom