• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Possibility of 9000X3D have both CCD's with 3D cache and also being unlocked / overclockable, with clock speeds not so limited by the 3D cache this time.

But on a downside, they are saying they wont be announced for quite some time yet according to the slides.

Jump to 7:46

For budget option, you can get 8 core CPU's new (AM4) for less than that, or go second hand for a Zen4 8 core for less.

I meant as a launch price, I'd expect them to settle lower (£150-160) after some time has passed.

AM4 new, yeah just about but only recently. Cheapest AM5 8 core I can find on the MM with a quick search was listed at £215 and effectively went for £195 as part of a bundle. (wouldn't bother with ebay personally)

I agree though that I wouldn't go down to 6 cores for a gaming build now, I'm reluctant enough to drop from 16 to 8, through a combination of occasional other use and bigger number: better :P
If motherboards weren't still so expensive I'd be tempted to go 7950x3D now, but will wait to see what happens when these launch.

I meant as a launch price, I'd expect them to settle lower (£150-160) after some time has passed.

AM4 new, yeah just about but only recently. Cheapest AM5 8 core I can find on the MM with a quick search was listed at £215 and effectively went for £195 as part of a bundle. (wouldn't bother with ebay personally)

I agree though that I wouldn't go down to 6 cores for a gaming build now, I'm reluctant enough to drop from 16 to 8, through a combination of occasional other use and bigger number: better :p
If motherboards weren't still so expensive I'd be tempted to go 7950x3D now, but will wait to see what happens when these launch.
99.9% of all games use 1 to 4 cores and the majority is 1 to 2 cores...
its just the way engines work.
Games that benefit from 8 cores can be counted on one hand.

am4 and a 5800x3d is the best gaming budget rig people can buy.
zen5 current 7800x3d and upcoming 9800x3d is for those that wants a bit more

99.9% of all games use 1 to 4 cores and the majority is 1 to 2 cores...
its just the way engines work.
Games that benefit from 8 cores can be counted on one hand.

am4 and a 5800x3d is the best gaming budget rig people can buy.
zen5 current 7800x3d and upcoming 9800x3d is for those that wants a bit more

I mean let's be fair you don't even need the 7800x3d for budget gaming, I'm running the 7600 cpu and 7600 gpu which are perfectly fine for running modern games at 1080p and some light 1440p. If you are ever gonna get to a point where the zen5 7600 is your bottleneck then you will already have spent a lot more money on the GPU and budget concerns will not be a factor.

I'd like to see AMD update the VCE encoder to the same standard as Intel QuickSync... a cheap encoding engine is darn useful but currently AMD is sub standard there
Yeah this would be a nice upgrade - Intel QuickSync remains one reason why for some use cases you'd just not consider AMD. I don't know how hard / easy this would be in practice, if there would be legal barriers with patents etc or if it would be too hard to get most software to take advantage of improved AMD encoders due to Intel's place in the market etc, but in theory seems like it would be a big win to improve encoding performance.

Last edited:
Yeah this would be a nice upgrade - Intel QuickSync remains one reason why for some use cases you'd just not consider AMD. I don't know how hard / easy this would be in practice, if there would be legal barriers with patents etc or if it would be too hard to get most software to take advantage of improved AMD encoders due to Intel's place in the market etc, but in theory seems like it would be a big win to improve encoding performance.
Well they already have very capable encoders on their GPUs, so would assume so but it raises the question of how much power draw/heat/ die space they would incur. (and assuming it would be suitable to be integrated to a CPU)
Hard to compare directly with quicksync, but does the job well on h264/265/AV1 in my experience

I'd like to see AMD update the VCE encoder to the same standard as Intel QuickSync... a cheap encoding engine is darn useful but currently AMD is sub standard there
Pointless.. all GPU's do AV1 now, Twitch is doing Beta testing for AV1/HEVC and Youtube already support both of these. NVENC H.264 will be pointless once Twitch fully implement AV1 & HEVC (H.265)

EposVox is already streaming on Twitch at 4K/HEVC as a Beta tester.

Last edited:
What i'd like to see is hardware decode support for higher bit depth video like 10bit and colour spaces higher than 4:2:0. Intel have done well on the decode capabilities of QuickSync making editing high end video very capable on mainstream consumer machines. Even the RTX 4000 series can't match intel here. I'm personally not fussed with their encoders as you need a higher bitrate for the same level of quality as software CPU encoding, but I understand for a lot of people it's good enough.

Pointless.. all GPU's do AV1 now, Twitch is doing Beta testing for AV1/HEVC and Youtube already support both of these. NVENC H.264 will be pointless once Twitch fully implement AV1 & HEVC (H.265)

EposVox is already streaming on Twitch at 4K/HEVC as a Beta tester.
Plenty of use cases where you'd rather not have to have a dedicated (recent) GPU - Plex/re-encoding videos etc.

(edit: or have a GPU that's old, but still does what you need for the games you play)

Last edited:
Possibility of 9000X3D have both CCD's with 3D cache and also being unlocked / overclockable, with clock speeds not so limited by the 3D cache this time.

But on a downside, they are saying they wont be announced for quite some time yet according to the slides.

Jump to 7:46

Hi - Can i please ask, if this is rumours or announced?

encouraging data on floating point multithreaded perf
16 core 9950X almost matching latest 32 core threadripper

and also an utter failure of ability to calculate percentages
I can't even figure out what they did to arrive at those numbers

and a hint that Zen5 will appreciate tuned low latency ram in the end? not familiar with LinX

Last edited:
encouraging data on floating point multithreaded perf
16 core 9950X almost matching latest 32 core threadripper

and also an utter failure of ability to calculate percentages
I can't even figure out what they did to arrive at those numbers

and a hint that Zen5 will appreciate tuned low latency ram in the end? not familiar with LinX

LinX is vanilla Linpack, which is used in all sorts for testing software like OCCT for instance.

Back
Top Bottom