• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
I'm in the same boat. I have the money (and the itch) for an upgrade and really want a X3D CPU.

I'm still on AM4 though so the upgrade for me is not just the CPU, it's AM5 mobo, DDR5, PCI-e 5, etc.. I'm less worried about pulling the trigger on a 7800x3d as it's a great chip and I could drop in a (AM5) CPU upgrade easily later on. It probably wouldn't be necessary though since I game at 4K so the CPU is really not as important for me as for those gaming at lower resolutions.

I am hesitant about buying a X670/B650 board now though with the X870 boards imminent. I want to see the features of the new boards before I spend what will be a lot of money.

I am in that situation where I hesitate and keep waiting for the next shiny thing to come along and end up never upgrading.

Associate
I'm in the same boat. I have the money (and the itch) for an upgrade and really want a X3D CPU.

I'm still on AM4 though so the upgrade for me is not just the CPU, it's AM5 mobo, DDR5, PCI-e 5, etc.. I'm less worried about pulling the trigger on a 7800x3d as it's a great chip and I could drop in a (AM5) CPU upgrade easily later on. It probably wouldn't be necessary though since I game at 4K so the CPU is really not as important for me as for those gaming at lower resolutions.

I am hesitant about buying a X670/B650 board now though with the X870 boards imminent. I want to see the features of the new boards before I spend what will be a lot of money.

I am in that situation where I hesitate and keep waiting for the next shiny thing to come along and end up never upgrading.

From what i have read (on paper) the big difference between B650E/x670E and x870/x870E is Wi-Fi 6 has been upgraded to Wifi 7 and USB4 Gen3 is now included (rather than Optional). There might be performance gains once people get the boards and start testing them, but the features on offer isn't a massive upgrade imo.

Thank you.

Do you know if I can just take the old one out and put new one in? Or do I have to uninstall/reinstall any drivers or anything? I figure it'll just be a straight swap.

I believe you can just swap the chip's and worry about the drivers afterwards, however i haven't tested and confirmed this myself so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Associate
From what i have read (on paper) the big difference between B650E/x670E and x870/x870E is Wi-Fi 6 has been upgraded to Wifi 7 and USB4 Gen3 is now included (rather than Optional). There might be performance gains once people get the boards and start testing them, but the features on offer isn't a massive upgrade imo.

Yea I'm sure you are right but waiting for X870 gives me more choice, which is always good. :)

Caporegime
And let's not forget that AMD motherboards on launch have massive markups so better all-round to pickup a decent previous gen. Greedy *******!

Soldato

I believe you can just swap the chip's and worry about the drivers afterwards, however i haven't tested and confirmed this myself so take my advice with a pinch of salt.
I thought that 8000MT/s ram would be on the cards too, with some boards doing away with DIMM slots in favor of a new flat standard which makes the traces shorter.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I'm looking forward to a new AMD chip but out of the loop these days. So we might not see the X3D chips this year then. That's boring..
I'd be surprised if they took that long, if Arrow Lake is launching in October.

It would make sense if they launched the X3Ds alongside the new boards, because the boards could all be updated with the new microcode so no BIOS flashes needed.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if they took that long, if Arrow Lake is launching in October.

It would make sense if they launched the X3Ds alongside the new boards, because the boards could all be updated with the new microcode so no BIOS flashes needed.

Ah I see what you;re saying, yeah that would be far more interesting. Feels like I've had my current 7900x for too long. Need a change, the 9800X3D will be far better for gaming, hopefully cooler too.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea I'm sure you are right but waiting for X870 gives me more choice, which is always good. :)
You might wait a while, as they are said to arrive even few months later than new CPUs. Also, reviewers who spoke with MSI etc. about them seem to be suggesting that changes are minimal. Also, it seems so far these vendors plan to replace high end boards with new ones, which means they will be most likely the most expensive models only, whilst current b650 will be mainstream.

Last edited:
Associate
You might wait a while, as they are said to arrive even few months later than new CPUs. Also, reviewers who spoke with MSI etc. about them seem to be suggesting that changes are minimal. Also, it seems so far these vendors plan to replace high end boards with new ones, which means they will be most likely the most expensive models only, whilst current b650 will be mainstream.
Yea. As I said, Waiting for the next shiny thing probably means I'll never upgrade.

You may just have triggered my itch. :D

Soldato
"AMD is reportedly planning to reposition the Ryzen 7 9700X processor by increasing its base and boost clock frequencies, as well as raising the thermal design power (TDP) from 65W to 120W. This internal redesign aims to improve the processor's performance, making it more competitive in the gaming and high-performance computing markets."
More perfomance means they can charge more and increasing the TDP also saves them having to bundle in the wraith prism so another saving.

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I'm aware of, the only confirmed information is that the X Chips launch in July and the boards in September.
They’ll probably launch the new boards with the X3D and lock in the supposed new overclocking feature as a selling point.

Soldato
What kind of performance increase are we expecting from the next gen AMD & intel cpu's ?
Maybe somewhere around a 50% increase over last gen ?

Last edited:
Associate
What kind of performance increase are we expecting from the next gen AMD & intel cpu's ?
Maybe somewhere around a 50% increase over last gen ?
Depends on the task. Amd have said they're gonna be about 16% faster compared to the 7000 series. But it looks like the 9700x is going to be about the same in gaming as the 7800x3d, but then much faster in productivity.

Intel is anyone's guess at this point.

Back
Top Bottom