• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
A motherboard I was looking at was £207 on Saturday. Today its £354.96 in the "Sale".
All a con
Yeah, the one I saw was about £30 less than it's been selling for in the last few months and about £50 less than it was before then. Have been watching it for a while and at least it is a genuine sale price. But tbh not like a huge discount

Associate
What issues you having ?
Check my earlier posts than the one you're responding to, I described it there in detail. But in general, CCD management on R9 7950x3D stopped working on newest BIOS and all defaulted to 3D vcache CCD. Not a big issue but I rather have performance cores used for non-gaming stuff by default and not 3D vcache ones.

Associate
Shut up about AI..... SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP/////

Putting "AI" in the title is just an excuse to add £50 on the price. I went to buy a new electric toothbrush today - they have "AI" ones that make your phone bleep if you're pressing on too hard now although double the price, but still just clean your teeth.

It's like when they call peripherals "Gaming" - £50 more for that word on the box.

And I DO NOT WANT mechanical keyboards - I cannot type with them.

Even the Lidl shopping phone app has a battlepass now !

Does my head in

Last edited:
Soldato
Check my earlier posts than the one you're responding to, I described it there in detail. But in general, CCD management on R9 7950x3D stopped working on newest BIOS and all defaulted to 3D vcache CCD. Not a big issue but I rather have performance cores used for non-gaming stuff by default and not 3D vcache ones.
Ah right i see... was wondering if i should wait for another bios before i update my MSI MEG ACE

Soldato
New news today: Zen 5 CPUs run around 7c cooler than Zen4 at the same power draw

AMD marketing slides says this is because of improved thermal resistance

Ok.. so an interviewer asked what does this mean, did they change the IHS? Did they change the TIM? Nope, AMD moved the position of the temperature sensor so now the sensor detects different hot spot, AMD says the old sensor was detecting temps that are unrealistic and says the new temps are more accurate

The interviewer then asked if this change was done to actually give users lower temps or if it's used to give the boost algorithm more headroom to run higher clock speeds within the 95c limit they set with Zen4. In other words; will zen5 users see lower temps or will their cpu still just ramp up to 95c? AMD refused to answer this question though

Might be something to do with thermtrip not working as intended on 7000 series.

Associate
The Father of Zen.
This was a really nice interview. Very geeky but nothing wrong with that.

My take away was that Zen 5 has had a large rearchitecting, and it'll only bring 10-20% IPC increase for a lot of workloads. However, workloads that can utilise the wider fetch, decode and execute should really fly. It'll also be interesting to see how the new 2-ahead branch prediction works, sounds like FP workloads with relatively predictable and simple branching will really benefit.

New news today: Zen 5 CPUs run around 7c cooler than Zen4 at the same power draw

AMD marketing slides says this is because of improved thermal resistance

Ok.. so an interviewer asked what does this mean, did they change the IHS? Did they change the TIM? Nope, AMD moved the position of the temperature sensor so now the sensor detects different hot spot, AMD says the old sensor was detecting temps that are unrealistic and says the new temps are more accurate

The interviewer then asked if this change was done to actually give users lower temps or if it's used to give the boost algorithm more headroom to run higher clock speeds within the 95c limit they set with Zen4. In other words; will zen5 users see lower temps or will their cpu still just ramp up to 95c? AMD refused to answer this question though
This isn't quite what was said, quoting https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-5-technical-deep-dive/4.html:
The improvements are due to better management of the "hot spot," and a different placement of the thermal sensor. On Zen 4, the sensor was located pretty far away from the hot spot, so they added quite a lot of thermal margin to account for that. Now the placement is more ideal, which results in a more realistic estimation of the actual temperature in the hottest part of the die.

That reads to m like they've tried to allieviate areas of dense heat generation. Interesting (but not surprising) that they were estimating the hotspot temperature by proxy on Zen 4. Makes sense, you can rarely place a sensor exactly where you want, hard enough on a PCB let alone inside silicon.

EDIT: Note allieviate areas of dense heat generation could mean three things I can think of, 1. They have placed transistors/ip blocks differently to reduce current density, 2. They have changed how the processor clocks up and down, maybe via architectural changes, bringing the hotspot closer to the rest of the die. 3. Both??

Last edited:
Soldato
This was a really nice interview. Very geeky but nothing wrong with that.

My take away was that Zen 5 has had a large rearchitecting, and it'll only bring 10-20% IPC increase for a lot of workloads. However, workloads that can utilise the wider fetch, decode and execute should really fly. It'll also be interesting to see how the new 2-ahead branch prediction works, sounds like FP workloads with relatively predictable and simple branching will really benefit.

This isn't quite what was said, quoting https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-5-technical-deep-dive/4.html:
The improvements are due to better management of the "hot spot," and a different placement of the thermal sensor. On Zen 4, the sensor was located pretty far away from the hot spot, so they added quite a lot of thermal margin to account for that. Now the placement is more ideal, which results in a more realistic estimation of the actual temperature in the hottest part of the die.

That reads to m like they've tried to allieviate areas of dense heat generation. Interesting (but not surprising) that they were estimating the hotspot temperature by proxy on Zen 4. Makes sense, you can rarely place a sensor exactly where you want, hard enough on a PCB let alone inside silicon.

EDIT: Note allieviate areas of dense heat generation could mean three things I can think of, 1. They have placed transistors/ip blocks differently to reduce current density, 2. They have changed how the processor clocks up and down, maybe via architectural changes, bringing the hotspot closer to the rest of the die. 3. Both??
Or they've just moved the sensor to the hottest part of the die to ensure the thermal mechanisms work, somethings are explained easier than others with less words lol

Back
Top Bottom