• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Then buy one with SLI support, its written which boards do and don't support it in the specifications list, i for one am happy to pay a little less for one that doesn't as i will never use it.

Your negativity in this IS unwarranted.

It doesn't bother me personally, I've not used SLI for a year or so now. You could have opened up with that rather than proclaiming SLI to be dead. Moving on*

Associate
Some drop of info from the AIDA dev:
Many review sites have problems, as a lot of boards have buggy BIOS etc, which the manufacturers trying to iron out as fast as they can.
Plus there is some strange things going on with the Ryzens cache/memory latency, it's very high. The speed is great, but the latency is not so much, sources yet unknown.

Caporegime
One of my bug bears is that no one is sensible enough to make a x370 board, with more sata ports as I really need, without paying Nvidia to add SLI branding.

It's only say $2 on a board, but that is $2 Nvidia both don't deserve to make and that I'm paying for a feature I absolutely will never use and thus do not want.

For me there needs to be some better featured B350 boards, and some x370 boards without SLI and more without so many step ups.

Like a B350 board with one normal quality nic, less Sata ports and a cheaper audio codec, then a x370, 2 m.2 slots, 2 nics, one killer lan, dual audio codecs and both more expensive newer/higher quality ones, RGB crap everywhere.

Why not a x370 board with no sli, the same slightly cheaper audio chip, still one m.2 port, no ridiculous shrouds over the IO ports. The bracketing of the motherboards with B350 strictly missing some higher end bits and bobs and the X370 all being way over the top is irritating. I'd take a less upgraded X370 board, or a slightly upgraded B350 board but these seem to be entirely missing and would hit that £125 price point that there seem to be absolutely no boards in at all.

On top of all of that, OCUK are talking about overclocking but were they not using an AIO while also talking about VRM issues? So the question I have is, did they have any actual directed airflow at the VRMs. Largely because they are all designed with these stupid flat tops which prevents a lot of airflow. Really you want a cooler blowing down onto the board, either fan on top of a heatsink such as the 1700 stock cooler, or a fan somewhere to blow air at the board and which would then blow through the VRM heatsinks.

I think the idea that you need a £250 mobo to overclock well us utterly ridiculous and frankly don't believe it, I'm wondering if their testing method was simply faulty and didn't cool the VRMS, hence only the stupid expensive board with cooler running/larger number of VRMs worked well.

Permabanned
Many review sites have problems, as a lot of boards have buggy BIOS etc, which the manufacturers trying to iron out as fast as they can.
Plus there is some strange things going on with the Ryzens cache/memory latency, it's very high. The speed is great, but the latency is not so much, sources yet unknown.
Apparently there is a hardware fault with the ryzen cpus which will require re-manufacturing....

Soldato

Will be the sub timings.

Caporegime

Some of it will simply be applying expectations from one chip onto another. If the chip performs brilliantly with seemingly higher latency cache, then it's not actually a problem if performance is great. It suggests that the testing is incorrect due to the way the cache works or the way the cache works increases latency but keeps the performance so it simply doesn't matter.

Soldato

On top of all of that, OCUK are talking about overclocking but were they not using an AIO while also talking about VRM issues? So the question I have is, did they have any actual directed airflow at the VRMs. Largely because they are all designed with these stupid flat tops which prevents a lot of airflow. Really you want a cooler blowing down onto the board, either fan on top of a heatsink such as the 1700 stock cooler, or a fan somewhere to blow air at the board and which would then blow through the VRM heatsinks.

I believe the Cryorig AiO does this.

Caporegime

I have seen that latency thing in an AIDA slide, they should really contact AMD about it, if its something on AMD's chip or something in thier application code that doesn't understand the architecture, whatever it is its not hampering the performance of the chip, which makes me think its not a correct reading, AIDA should know this.

Associate

Guess that somewhat verifies the CPU/Memory Mark leaks featured here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPaxjsrWT_k

Soldato
Or maybe it won't??? You don't know that

Ok.

I think the idea that you need a £250 mobo to overclock well us utterly ridiculous and frankly don't believe it, I'm wondering if their testing method was simply faulty and didn't cool the VRMS, hence only the stupid expensive board with cooler running/larger number of VRMs worked well.

You would need to see some data including captures showing current drawn when the CPU is fully loaded. I'm in agreement, currently I don't understand why the lower end boards are struggling (in that regard).

OcUK Staff
I ofcourse tested this and do understand but can't share yet.....

Low end boards vrm is causing throttle issues so I suggest those wanting to buy for performance get a suitable board. Asus crosshair or similar.

Back
Top Bottom