• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
After waiting the week I now have my boot kit cpu. The bios that came with my motherboard was F6. The processor they sent was a A6-9500 cpu, it's a shame I need to send it back once done with it lol.

I have updated the bios but yet to swap over the cpus yet but glad this was the issue and was not a hardware issue.

I cannot get the ram to run at 3000mhz as if I turn on xmp it puts the volts upto 1.35 which is what it should be as default is 1.20 the pc does not boot. Maybe a error on my part has it goes from 2400mhz to 3200mhz on the supported list of speeds and doesn't say 3000mhz

Just glad it's all working now and just need to get w10 installed

Glad your good. :)

Depending on the ram it may need 1.4V vram to boot. My Gskill 3200 C14 requires 1.38 approx, (1.35V stock) but I use 1.4V in the bios.

Soldato

Depending on the ram it may need 1.4V vram to boot. My Gskill 3200 C14 requires 1.38 approx, (1.35V stock) but I use 1.4V in the bios.

Thanks, all I get the option to in the bios is for xmp disabled and profile 1. I enable profile one and volts go from 1.20 to 1.35 but I get no options to change th volts or anything else. I may take a better look once my son is asleep and I can concentrate on it a bit more.

I was looking after him, trying to cook dinner and swap over the cpu etc lol

Soldato

Ram is working fine now, I changed back over the processor from the 9500 to my 2200g and now when xmp emabled it does 3000mhz without any issues. Happy it's all working now.

Took me longer to change over the cpus than updating the bios.

Soldato
Ram is working fine now, I changed back over the processor from the 9500 to my 2200g and now when xmp emabled it does 3000mhz without any issues. Happy it's all working now.

Took me longer to change over the cpus than updating the bios.
Good to hear, what bios did you flash it up to? I think I am running F22 from memory.

Soldato
Good to hear, what bios did you flash it up to? I think I am running F22 from memory.

I got the latest version (F23D) just to make sure I didn't have to swap back over cpus as the A6-9500 used black standoffs which are screwed in to the mobo and cooler clips to that and the 2200G doesn't use them so you have to remove them and then screw in to the back plate.

Associate
How is everyone finding there Ryzen 2400g on a stability front? So far I've had a few green screens which require alt-tabing out of and the occasional freeze. Both seem like driver related issues so hopefully will be rectified in the near future.

Soldato
Windows 1803 was causing me issues with freezing and and the odd Video tdr BSOD, latest driver has sorted that out. Chrome occasionally freezes, just need to kill it in task manger. This with the 2200G.

Soldato
Well I got a e mail today to say that my replacement 2200G has been shipped from OCUK.

they received it yesterday and new one out already so cannot grumble at that :D

should be here Tues with bank holiday this weekend

Soldato

I found I could not run 3000mhz as the 9500 doesn't support anything higher than 2400mhz, once the 2200g was in 3000mhz was set when enabling xmp :)

Soldato
Yeah 4 is an unlucky number or some crap. 12 cores I can believe for Zen 2, 16 cores no. Note this is all just rumour from that rumour-mill of a website.

Permabanned
I suspect wccftech has direct sources from AMD and its AMD's first priority website where to leak new informations. Like it or not.

12 cores I can believe for Zen 2, 16 cores no.

12 cores for Zen2 has been rumoured for a long time, so I can see that happening

Better start believing :D

AMD's next-gen 'Rome' EPYC CPU on 7nm could feature 64C/128T
Die1: Single CCX 6 core, each Die 12 core, single CPU maximum 48 core
Die2: Single CCX 8-core, each Die 16 core, single CPU maximum 64 core
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60858/amds-next-gen-rome-epyc-cpu-7nm-feature-64c-128t/index.html

Soldato
With their modular nature it seems much more likely than Intel suddenly dropping a 12 core on Z390. That is the beauty of the "glue, it allows a lot of options whilst being cheaper to manufacture for any given core count.

The software developers had better get their fingers out and write some more multi threaded code ;)

Caporegime
wccftech will have no contacts, they're just a fud website.
It wants banning, it's the worst tech news site. Literally everything must be taken with a truckload of salt as they literally post every single rumour regardless.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Can not wait for Zen 2 7nm. I am 95% sure at this point it will be my next CPU upgrade.

12 cores would be lovely :)

wccftech will have no contacts, they're just a fud website.
It wants banning, it's the worst tech news site. Literally everything must be taken with a truckload of salt as they literally post every single rumour regardless.
+1 useless site. Annoying people still use it.

They make dozens of predictions before a product comes out and then when it comes out they point to one those articles and make it sound like they knew all along. I still never forget about their lies on the RX 480.

The more people use sites like this, the more they are saying yes to fake news. Worse, other respectable websites who lose out on traffic then end up having to stoop to these levels...

Caporegime
Please don't ask me to find it right now, AMD's 7nm roadmap does have a 48 Core EPYC on it, its called Starship

That's 4x 12 core dies, so 8x 6 core CCX's.

Each One of those 4 dies that makes up Starship is a 12 core, in the same way EPYC 7601 is 4x 8 core and we have one of those dies as mainstream and 2x are the HEDT 16 core.

So yes its likely Ryzen 3### will be 12 core mainstream and 24 core HEDT.

The 16 core rumour comes from CanarnPC who tweeted out that they knew AMD were also making a 64 core EPYC, that would be 4x 16 Core.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Please don't ask me to find it right now, AMD's 7nm roadmap does have a 48 Core EPYC on it, its called Starship

That's 4x 12 core dies, so 8x 6 core CCX's.

Each One of those 4 dies that makes up Starship is a 12 core, in the same way EPYC 7601 is 4x 8 core and we have one of those dies as mainstream and 2x are the HEDT 16 core.

So yes its likely Ryzen 3### will be 12 core mainstream and 24 core HEDT.

The 16 core rumour comes from CanarnPC who tweeted out that they knew AMD were also making a 64 core EPYC, that would be 4x 16 Core.

;)

Soldato
12 core Zen 2 would be a nice upgrade from my 5820k, double the cores. However I'm going to wait and see what Intel do, really disappointing if no Ice Lake next year. Looks like they are falling behind on their roadmap.

Single core performance from Zen 2 will be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom