• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
2057 on the 3600x is what im thinking, and one of the leaks I saw said the boosted clock was 4.8ghz.

So if it did manage to beat the i9 9900k with a lower frequency then seriously wow..

This was a very carefully planned demonstration from AMD to get as much of a like-for-like comparison as they can, that's why they used a sample with a single 8 core chiplet. It wouldn't be impressive if a 12 or 16 core model matched the 9900K, it wouldn't be impressive if the Ryzen had to use significantly higher clocks. This ES Ryzen was carefully pitched to match the 9900K with the same core count and the same, if not lower, clocks, and then showing explicitly it was based on half the potential package (i.e. there's space for a 2nd chiplet to go in).

Consider the underlying message to be "core for core we're now equal to Intel and did it with half our package. And we still have improvements to gain".

Meticulous presentation.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

This was a very carefully planned demonstration from AMD to get as much of a like-for-like comparison as they can, that's why they used a sample with a single 8 core chiplet. It wouldn't be impressive if a 12 or 16 core model matched the 9900K, it wouldn't be impressive if the Ryzen had to use significantly higher clocks. This ES Ryzen was carefully pitched to match the 9900K with the same core count and the same, if not lower, clocks, and then showing explicitly it was based on half the potential package (i.e. there's space for a 2nd chiplet to go in).

Consider the underlying message to be "core for core we're now equal to Intel and did it with half our package. And we still have improvements to gain".

Meticulous presentation.

Exactly what I was thinking. If they had to resort to a 12 or 16 core multithreaded chip to perform the same as the 9900k that would have been a bit disappointing. But the fact they matched it core for core, with the leaks suggesting there are 12 core and 16 core variants coming out, its actually pretty ridiculous to think how powerful the other chips will be.

Only shame was that were no prices or release dates really discussed (apart from saying midway through the year) and what chip they actually used to compete with the 9900k

Soldato
Only shame was that were no prices or release dates really discussed (apart from saying midway through the year) and what chip they actually used to compete with the 9900k

True, but now that it's confirmed Ryzen uses the same satellite chiplet design as EPYC it makes sense that Ryzen's launch will be later than the previous 2 generations. Everything is using the same 7nm chiplets which means everything has to be binned and shared between both EPYC and Ryzen, and then Threadripper later on, so that's not going to be a quick process, and also the server chips will always be a priority product.

Plus with PCIe Gen4 likely coming too, we need the motherboards to match, and they're not slated until Computex anyway.

Disappointed it's not sooner, but it's perfectly acceptable, and Intel have nothing to match it. Even that mental 28 core HEDT chip and the Asus Dominus Extreme is already DOA because existing Threadrippers beat it and the new ones will utterly destroy it. The only downside to waiting until May/June for Ryzen is lost sales from fence sitters either going for Intel now that the prices are coming down and not prepared to wait 6 months, or people investing in Ryzen 2000 kit (but at least they have an upgrade path).

Soldato
TBH,anything before an April release was optimistic as Ryzen+ was released in April last year. Hence a May to June release is not really that late,as it sticks to a yearly cadence as AMD said they would keep to.
A Computex launch would be bang on the May/June border. I imagine they will paper launch at Computex for a mid-to-late June hard launch, so they can call it H1/Q2.

Associate
Hi all, I have a Ryzen 2600, Asus X470 Pro, Crucial 3200Mhz Ram and an intel 660P NVME on its way, typical of me, bought a vega and then a nice Lian Li case for my 4790K but figured I didnt want the hassle of rebuilding it all again in 6 months for Zen 2 so bought the kit so that I can drop a Zen 2 in sometime at the end of the year.

Anyhow I have a question regarding idle speed etc, I would really like to overclock to around 4.1ghz however does that mean it wont drop clocks at idle like my 4790K currently does ? I have tried to search but I am struggling to find a definitive answer.

Many thanks, Sam

EDIT. really struggling to find anything but am I correct in thinking multiplier overclock only affects cool & quiet on first gen Ryzen ? I need to know as I use my PC daily for programming as I work from home so I want to have the PC only hit max clocks when required, am I better sending it back and getting the 2600X ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, I have a Ryzen 2600, Asus X470 Pro, Crucial 3200Mhz Ram and an intel 660P NVME on its way, typical of me, bought a vega and then a nice Lian Li case for my 4790K but figured I didnt want the hassle of rebuilding it all again in 6 months for Zen 2 so bought the kit so that I can drop a Zen 2 in sometime at the end of the year.

Anyhow I have a question regarding idle speed etc, I would really like to overclock to around 4.1ghz however does that mean it wont drop clocks at idle like my 4790K currently does ? I have tried to search but I am struggling to find a definitive answer.

Many thanks, Sam

EDIT. really struggling to find anything but am I correct in thinking multiplier overclock only affects cool & quiet on first gen Ryzen ? I need to know as I use my PC daily for programming as I work from home so I want to have the PC only hit max clocks when required, am I better sending it back and getting the 2600X ?

My 2700 @ 4GHz idles down to 1.5GHz and 0.8v. I use Windows Balance mode with the minimum processor state set to 25%.

https://imgur.com/mB6sPtN

Last edited:
Soldato
Been running a 2600X at 4.2 using 1.425v (bios) since it first came out in May.

Since a slight cooling change in the case (for silence reasons) I noticed that instead of maxing out at 80C with IBT it was crashing at 85C.

Decided to see what I could get 4.1 to run at and it only required 1.3v (bios) to be stable. Temps now way cooler at 70C as well. My fan profiles which agressively ramp up after 70C means that I avoid that noise as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I have it all built and windows installed, just leaving it now to download all my required programs. So far looks great, there was a moment of dread when the memory would only hit 2333mhz but I had them in the wrong slots on the board, once I had them in A2 and B2 they hit 3200mhz fine. (I assume if I upgrade to 32gb I wont have this issue ?)

I will download a few games over the next few days and then have a play with overclocking.

Really nice system so far though.

Soldato
I put together a build using my old r7 1700, B350M Mortar board, 16gb Teamgroup 2400.

Clocked the Cpu to 3.9 using the prism wrath cooler. I've tuned off SMT for better performance in some situations and so that I can actually see the utilisation of each cpu in the overlay without being overwhelmed.

A big win was getting the basic 2400 ram running at 3066 Cl16. "Mem try It" in the MSI bios made this pretty easy. It's easier IMO than the ram profiles you get with high end Asus boards.

The 1070 is at 100% utilisation all the time powering a 4k monitor. Which is smooth when tweaking settings to keep within the async range of the monitor.

Very happy overall with the system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom