• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
http://wccftech.com/msi-am4-x370-motherboard-ryzen-cpu/

The AM4 motherboards are expected to launch with AMD Ryzen CPUs in March 2017.

Is AMD push back Ryzen official launch from Feb to March 2017???

So fed up of waiting game!

Been read 7700K reviews and it looked really very tempted and would be nice upgrade from 3770K, impressed that £350 4 core 8 thread Kaby Lake CPU is faster than £1,589 10 core Broadwell-E CPU 6950X in games benchmarks. Not bothered about other CPU benchmarks like Handbrake or Blender that I would leave it to GPU to use 1920 cores to take care of it.

I want to see 8 core Ryzen SR7 beat 7700K in games benchmarks, if AMD can deliver that at same price then that would be fantastic. If not and it turned out to be underwhelmed in games benchmarks then I will get 7700K.

Soldato
I want to see 8 core Ryzen SR7 beat 7700K in games benchmarks, if AMD can deliver that at same price then that would be fantastic. If not and it turned out to be underwhelmed in games benchmarks then I will get 7700K.

Yes I'm very interested to see how it stacks up against Kaby solely in games performance. I don't think there is any question it will win out for other tasks such as encoding etc. but I wonder if it's actually going to be competing as a gaming CPU. Impossible to know at this stage.

Then again, if you have a Kaby that hits 4.8-5 and Ryzen only gets to 4.4-4.5 (speculating), given that vast majority of games aren't going to be using those extra cores, Kaby is going to edge it surely? Neck and neck for the same clock speed will be interesting of course, but when overclocking there will likely be a winner here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to suspect, unless AMD pull something incredible out of the bag, that IPC and raw clock speed will mean Ryzen won't beat the 7700k in gaming.
Depends what you mean by "beat". If minimum and average fps drop by a small amount but it's way cheaper then it wins for most people.

Don
Depends what you mean by "beat". If minimum and average fps drop by a small amount but it's way cheaper then it wins for most people.
There's always cheaper Intel CPUs to fill the gap as well. Will be interesting to see if it beats the 7500K chip in gaming, again given IPC and clock rate advantage that is likely for Intel I suspect not.

I'm hanging tight till reviews are out for Ryzen but I suspect I'll end up with Intel.

Soldato
There's always cheaper Intel CPUs to fill the gap as well. Will be interesting to see if it beats the 7500K chip in gaming, again given IPC and clock rate advantage that is likely for Intel I suspect not.

I'm hanging tight till reviews are out for Ryzen but I suspect I'll end up with Intel.

There should be other chips in the AMD range to compete with the 7500K which , if cheaper, could be a nice alternative.:)

Caporegime
Have to suspect, unless AMD pull something incredible out of the bag, that IPC and raw clock speed will mean Ryzen won't beat the 7700k in gaming.

The IPC is exactly the same as SkyLake, the 7700K is Skylake under a different name and pre-overclocked.

Just overclock Zen, Hell AMD themselves could just do their own pre-overclocking. Intel here are actually using AMD's lol trick in "just clock the bolts off it to keep up"

If Zen has similar IPC and more cores for the money Intel will not have done enough in overclocking and then re-naming their CPU's.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly at £350 for an 8 core zen vs £350 7700k I know which one I would pick even if the amd 10-15% less Ipc and oc :p

Also the 4c8t zen at £165 vs i5 7600k at £230...... Hmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom