• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I still can't get over the cost of things nowadays though, I remember back in the day a highish end CPU (XP2500) would set you back £120 and a high end motherboard under £100.

I thought it mental that a secondhand 4670k was going to cost £40 more than I paid for it brand new.

Ditto. Then 2 no. Thoroughbred B XP1700+ (at 2200+) cost £40+ each from Overclockers. Now £311 for one Ryzen 1700, I must be bonkers, stark raving mad, But I love it.

Associate
Ryzen R3 due for end of Q2 along with OEM systems and partners. APU still not due until laters.

Naples coming end of Q2 as well, but will ramp up over the rest of the year, with partners coming out quarter on quarter.
Directly from Lisa at the Investors call and Q&A.

http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/xuzgrf2k/lan/en

Damn. I really want one of their APUs. Just want one for a HTPC build and to be able to stream Steam games. Seems kinda wrong to buy an older APU now, but I know that they will do what I want.

Soldato
On the other hand, the 1GHz T-bird was $1000 when it was first released!

Wow, that seems crazy thinking about that now.

My first custom build system had a 1.4GHz Tbird but I can't remember what that would have cost, £100-200 I imagine as it was an upgrade from my prebuilt machine that housed an 800Mhz PIII.

Once the dust has settled and motherboards have had all of the gremlins ironed out I believe that AMD have got it just about right from a pricing point of view and I hope Intel follow suit a I just can't see how they would be able to stay with their current pricing strategy, regardless of the core count/IPC.

Soldato
OP
The latest Ryzen chipset drivers have def given my system a bump. The default Ryzen balanced profile gives crazy performance. R7 1700 stomping on an Intel 6950 X in some synthetics tests. These chips are very good value for money.

Associate
You're right, for some reason I thought it was the T-bird that reached 1GHz first, but the original Athlon got there first.

The Athlon did get there first, t-bird was the architecture name of that particular athlon model. It went all the way upto 1400mhz, all speeds after that were the palomino core/architecture :)

Soldato
The Athlon did get there first, t-bird was the architecture name of that particular athlon model. It went all the way upto 1400mhz, all speeds after that were the palomino core/architecture :)

No, the Orion core Slot A Athlon reached 1GHz in March 2000. The 1GHz Thunderbird didn't come out until June 2000 :)

Caporegime
AMD Q1 2017 Quarterly Earnings Breakdown – Stock Plummets More Than 24% After First Ryzen Quarter

http://wccftech.com/amd-q1-2017-earnings-stock-plummets-ryzen-quarter/

AMD can't even sell CPU's that are at least as good as Intel's at half the cost, you have to wonder how long AMD can go on investing in competitive products and get no return on that investment, if AMD can't get back on their feet even with a product like Ryzen they are done for, surely.

It makes me really sad to see them try and come up with a genuinely good product and still not get a chance.

Associate
AMD can't even sell CPU's that are at least as good as Intel's at half the cost, you have to wonder how long AMD can go on investing in competitive products and get no return on that investment, if AMD can't get back on their feet even with a product like Ryzen they are done for, surely.

It makes me really sad to see them try and come up with a genuinely good product and still not get a chance.
First quarter results are always worst of the year though especially for tech.

Soldato
you have to wonder how long AMD can go on investing in competitive products and get no return on that investment, if AMD can't get back on their feet even with a product like Ryzen they are done for, surely.

This is more of a correction than a drop, they will be fine. AMD's GPU division had a record year and their stock went up $2, the Ryzen hype saw it jump $10. Stock correcting to where it should be isn't really the death of a company, especially when it's still 5x what it was four years ago.

Soldato

They need marketing and they need big contracts with OEMs and data-centres (which will come with Naples I'm sure).

Associate
This is more of a correction than a drop, they will be fine. AMD's GPU division had a record year and their stock went up $2, the Ryzen hype saw it jump $10. Stock correcting to where it should be isn't really the death of a company, especially when it's still 5x what it was four years ago.

I agree, R5 was also released right at the end of the quarter, R7 was only available for 1 month during the quarter and there was a severe shortage of motherboards, so I think next quarters figures will be a truer picture of how well it is doing. Plus any OEM contracts would be where the big money is I think.

Soldato
I saw this today and shows promising not only for the server market and high workstation, but the X399 platform also, where the CCXs will be connected over quad channel DDR4
And very tempted to wait for the 16/32 CPU :D

f315f8a7_AMD-Naples-Head.jpeg

730089cf_Workload2.jpeg

b30369a4_Screenshot_2.png

Back
Top Bottom