• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
From some reviews I've seen now, FSR3 FG actually out performs DLSS3 FG on a 4090, slight reduction in IQ but actual hard FPS is higher.

The reduction is quality is of course due to the upscaler still being FSR 2.2. I expect AMD to improve FSR2 quality now that they have achieved the FG goal.

Soldato

AMD Fluid Motion Frames in Starfield. Looks fine without any artifacts but not really possible to see the smoothness due to the 60fps video I guess.

Soldato
The reduction is quality is of course due to the upscaler still being FSR 2.2. I expect AMD to improve FSR2 quality now that they have achieved the FG goal.
I know in the witcher 3 you can use FSR upscaling in combo with Nvidia frame gen so it should theoretically be possible to use FMF with DLSS.

Associate
From some reviews I've seen now, FSR3 FG actually out performs DLSS3 FG on a 4090, slight reduction in IQ but actual hard FPS is higher.
Define slight. FSR quality is pretty much DLSS balanced. It’s not saying much.

I bet all the competent videos providing proper comparisons and pros/cons to the tech will be saying same thing come monday, good option for those who dont have access to DLSS + FG, inferior for those who do.

Same story was when FSR launched. Max hype omg bestest everest DLSS killer!1one then after testing proved to be inferior in every single way.

Sadly, people never learn.

Last edited:
Soldato

I bet all the competent videos providing proper comparisons and pros/cons to the tech will be saying same thing come monday, good option for those who dont have access to DLSS + FG, inferior for those who do.

Same story was when FSR launched. Max hype omg bestest everest DLSS killer!1one then after testing proved to be inferior in every single way.

Some aliasing artifacts and minor shimmering. Otherwise it looks similar.

Soldato
This is really good news to read. Thanks for taking the time to share it people. Well done AMD too. Can I check, so FSR3 is upscaling and FMF is additional frame gen. I'm guessing they're not exclusive and one can work without the other?

Caporegime

AMD can’t afford for it to be inferior in every way if they intend to stay in this market.

Soldato
I've not tested the Forspoken demo yet, got distracted by cocktails and vintage top of the pops on bb4 (the only TV worth watching).

This Fluid Motion Frames thing then, sounds even more enticing than FSR3 frame gen (as that's limited to specific game support). What are the realistic chances the same 'FMF' thing will be developed by Nvidia or hacked to work on Nvidia then?

Last edited:
Soldato
Gotcha ta. So FSR3 is like a superset containing upsclaing and frame gen. But frame gen is only available on later model cards. Cheers.

FSR3 and frame gen will work on most modern gpus.

The tech preview driver is just limited to 7X00 serious amd I expect it will open up to new gpus when it's officially launched.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not tested the Forspoken demo yet, got distracted by cocktails and vintage top of the pops on bb4 (the only TV worth watching).

This Fluid Motion Frames thing then, sounds even more enticing than FSR3 frame gen (as that's limited to specific game support). What are the realistic chances the same 'FMF' thing will be developed by Nvidia or hacked to work on Nvidia then?

If AMD releases the source code for FMF then someone could get it working for Nvidia. I'm assuming it works in a slightly different way to FSR3 otherwise there was no need for AMD to release FSR3 at all. Instead they would have just enabled FMF for their own cards to work on all games.

Soldato
If AMD releases the source code for FMF then someone could get it working for Nvidia. I'm assuming it works in a slightly different way to FSR3 otherwise there was no need for AMD to release FSR3 at all. Instead they would have just enabled FMF for their own cards to work on all games.

FMF is a driver based solution for AMD users, without the drivers there is no FMF. They probably won't release its source code, while FSR3 is opensource so, anyone could add it to their software (specially if they already support FSR2).

FSR3 is added into the games code and therefor works on all supported gpus inc nvidia and intel.

Back
Top Bottom