• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
An interesting discovery that sorts the frame time graph :p:p NOTE: It's mainly a comparison of the latency graph shown in pink. DLSS shot added if you want to compare quality but they look the same when static. DLSS is better in motion since there is almost no shimmer on the grass and thin meshes and lines.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/styles/default/xenforo/vbSmilies/Normal/eek.gif[/IMG]]"]

gUU3ykU.jpg

TbIaRJB.jpg

7w3rSD1.jpg

The latency is significantly reduced when an external frame limiter is used such as Rivatuner or Nvidia/AMD control panel. The in-game limiter does not have this effect at all no matter what limit you set. Also it is essential to have VSYNC enabled otherwise you will get choppy motion.

With the above setting in image 2, I get totally smooth gameplay and the latency feels even better than before. Enable anti-lag or Nvidia's Low latency mode for extra benefit.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:
Soldato
^ Looks ok, anything to compare it to?

Oh now its changed, thought it was an image comparison.

I should have just cropped the latency graph but thought I might as well post the complete scene. It's FSR3 Quality mode.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I should have just cropped the latency graph but thought I might as well post the complete scene. It's FSR3 Quality mode.

Looks ok going by what I'm seeing. or do we need to do a csi zoom in 5000% and look at the reflection off a spot of water to see visual anomalies? I'm sure that brigade will arrive in due course.

Last edited:
Soldato
For me if the latency is better than FG then I’d prefer AMDs version, just a shame it can’t be combined with DLSS upscaling for the full package.

Soldato
Does the upscaling element of FSR3 actually look any better than FSR2?

Otherwise, meh.

Fluid Motion Frames is what interests me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't really understand the tech details of why enabling Fluid Motion Frames (according to AMD) doesn't really benefit titles that can't already run at a minimum of 55 FPS minimum.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Last edited:
Soldato
The biggest limitation of the AMD's driver based frame gen, is that only works in full screen games.

Lots of games are windowed /borderless windowed only...

So, that should be the first priority, for the next driver update imo.

Still, it's nice to see how much of a boost supported games like Starfield get, nearly doubling the reported minimum FPS.

Last edited:
Associate
Just tried it on my 3080 laptop in Forspoken demo and it’s really bad.
It disables vrr and increases input lag very noticeably so even tho there is more frames the image is stuttery and gameplay is laggy.
In the current state it’s pointless on a weaker machine.
Hopefully they can improve it.

Here is a quick video demonstrating it, in person when frame generation is disabled the image is 100% smooth thanks to vrr and once I enable frame gen it becomes stuttery.
Obviously camera capture is not 100% smooth due to framerate mismatch between the screen and video recording.

Last edited:
Soldato
It disables vrr and increases input lag very noticeably so even tho there is more frames the image is stuttery and gameplay is laggy.

Here is a quick video demonstrating it, in person when frame generation is disabled the image is 100% smooth thanks to vrr and once I enable frame gen it becomes stuttery.
Obviously camera capture is not 100% smooth due to framerate mismatch between the screen and video recording.

Frame Gen requires VSYNC enabled.

Associate

get your frames above 60fps and see if it improves any.

Associate
i think daniel owen explains it well in his video, how to use fsr3. seems amd could explain it a bit clearer or the game devs could enable the optimal settings when turning on frame gen.

Associate
Frame Gen requires VSYNC enabled.
Yeah I have it enabled but the issue here is that vrr doesn’t work and since I’m not reaching displays refresh rate (165hz) I’m getting horrible stuttering.
Like I said it’s not good on a weaker hardware.

Associate
get your frames above 60fps and see if it improves any.
Do you mean 60fps before enabling frame gen.? If so yeah I will try that in a minute but it probably won’t help much since my display is 165hz.
In the current form is seems that the only way to get smooth gameplay is to reach display refresh rate when using frame generation and that’s not going to happen unless I want to massively degrade image quality by lowering resolution and graphics settings.

Edit: ok tried increasing base frame rate to over 60 by setting FSR upscaling to ultra performance and again frame generation enabled is less smooth than when disabled.

Last edited:
Associate
i think daniel owen explains it well in his video, how to use fsr3. seems amd could explain it a bit clearer or the game devs could enable the optimal settings when turning on frame gen.

They really need to make it work with VRR otherwise it’s pointless.

Soldato
They really need to make it work with VRR otherwise it’s pointless.

It's a tech preview driver, not the final thing with regards to FMF. They will add HDR, VRR and other features as well as support other products as they develop it.

As for FSR3 itself in certain games, FSR3 is meant to work with VRR, and you shouldn't need to hit the max supported refresh rate of your monitor for it to be smooth, you would only require to stay within the refresh rate band that it supports. For mine for example its 48hz to 165hz or 48 to 165fps.

Associate
Do you mean 60fps before enabling frame gen.? If so yeah I will try that in a minute but it probably won’t help much since my display is 165hz.
In the current form is seems that the only way to get smooth gameplay is to reach display refresh rate when using frame generation and that’s not going to happen unless I want to massively degrade image quality by lowering resolution and graphics settings.
Its not clear how its best to use it as the tech reviewers only got access yesterday as well. Also a lot of measuring tools don't seem compatible yet either.

Back
Top Bottom