• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Associate
It's a tech preview driver, not the final thing with regards to FMF. They will add HDR, VRR and other features as well as support other products as they develop it.

As for FSR3 itself in certain games, FSR3 is meant to work with VRR, and you shouldn't need to hit the max supported refresh rate of your monitor for it to be smooth, you would only require to stay within the refresh rate band that it supports. For mine for example its 48hz to 165hz or 48 to 165fps.

Could be nvidia thing then.
Daniel Owen (YouTuber who’s video was posted here earlier) tested it on nvidia card and had same results as me where it only became smooth once he reached his display refresh rate.

Edit: I will try it on my 4090 by sending video out trough integrated AMD GPU using freesync and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
i think daniel owen explains it well in his video, how to use fsr3. seems amd could explain it a bit clearer or the game devs could enable the optimal settings when turning on frame gen.

Yep, I like this guy as techy youtubers go. He's very thorough and explains things really well (he's a full time maths teacher!)

Last edited:
Associate
Tried it on my 4090 and vrr doesn’t work either as soon as I enable frame gen.
When switching video out to AMD integrated gpu vrr (freesync) doesn’t seem to sync with the display both when frame gen is enabled and disabled despite botth AMD control panel as well as display saying that freesync is working.
Also input lag is noticeably higher than when using Nvidia frame gen in other games at the same framerate.
I guess we will have to wait and hope all those issues will get ironed out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried it on my 4090 and vrr doesn’t work either as soon as I enable frame gen.
When switching video out to AMD integrated gpu vrr (freesync) doesn’t seem to sync with the display both when frame gen is enabled and disabled despite botth AMD control panel as well as display saying that freesync is working.
Also input lag is noticeably higher than when using Nvidia frame gen in other games at the same framerate.
I guess we will have to wait and hope all those issues will get ironed out.

AMD specifically said you need Vsync ON and VRR does not work.

Soldato

It's in the frame pacing section of the AMD blog

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/amd-fsr-3-now-available/ba-p/634265

Frame Pacing and Recommended VSync Settings

It is recommended to use AMD FSR 3 with VSync, as when enabled, frame pacing relies on the expected refresh rate of the monitor for a consistent high-quality gaming experience. Additionally, it is recommended that Enhanced Sync is disabled in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ settings, as it can interfere with frame pacing logic. A game using AMD FSR 3 in this configuration will show a “zigzag” pattern on frame time timing graphs in performance measuring tools such as AMD OCAT. This is completely expected and does not indicate uneven frame pacing.

FSR 3 can also be used with VSync disabled, for example for performance measurement, but the experience will be less optimal due to frame tearing inherent to not having VSync enabled. For more in-depth details about how AMD FSR 3 frame pacing works, you can check out our technical blog on GPUOpen.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it is the intended design that FSR3 doesn't work with VRR then that is just a big fat no on my part. Gonna be interesting to see how things shape up.

I tried with Freesync Pro OFF and it becomes choppy but when enabled it's smooth. The monitors frequency overlay shows it changing frequency depending on fps but it is hitting the 165Hz limit most of the time even when generated frame rate is around 130fps. Vsync must be set to ON to get the smoothness. Not sure what is going on but VRR seems to be working inside the Vsync limit.

Soldato
I tried with Freesync Pro OFF and it becomes choppy but when enabled it's smooth. The monitors frequency overlay shows it changing frequency depending on fps but it is hitting the 165Hz limit most of the time even when generated frame rate is around 130fps. Vsync must be set to ON to get the smoothness. Not sure what is going on but VRR seems to be working inside the Vsync limit.
Okay, that is interesting. Cheers for sharing.

Soldato
So, the fact that AMD's frame generation disables itself with fast camera motions I do not like at all, as can be seen here:

As you'd expect, the FPS drops quite a lot, down to ~50 when the camera is in motion. This seems like the worst part of how the tech is currently being implemented.

That must be the reason why they recommend games to already run at a minimum of 70 FPS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not working for me, Windows 11 only? Nothing showing in panel
Send a screenshot of what you see in AMD's software.

As far as I know, fullscreen games are supported, I'm unsure about borderless windowed games.

Also, do you have a RX 7000 series GPU?

Last edited:
Soldato
I got noticed that you need to use AMD's performance metric overlay to show FPS, otherwise it won't show the frame rate reported by AMD's driver with Frame gen enabled.

So, for example in the Witcher 3, Rivatuner showed an FPS of 50, and AMD's overlay showed an FPS of 100/101.

AMD's overlay is actually pretty good, don't know if it's had recent improvements, or not?

The Witcher 3's framerate is impressive with frame gen enabled, until you move the camera quickly...

Overall, seems well worth it, but will be much better if they decide to leave it enabled with fast camera movements.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found an odd bug in the Witcher 3, the 1% lows often go to hell after loading the game.

Micro stuttering stays at 100%.

Only thing that seemed to fix it was changing the type of window (e.g. borderless or fullscreen). So, at the moment you have to keep switching the window type.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm ok well after running AMD's cleanup utility and trying again I can get the option to show up in Adrenaline... trouble is I can't install the actual driver without it crashing the PC with a BSOD after which the driver doesn't seem to be installed correctly every time I reboot I get this message popup onscreen

Capture.png

edit: tried an old trick and installed driver package from Safe Mode and that worked whereas normal mode will BSOD it. Huh. Now to have a play with it. No effect whatsoever in skyrim se, but apparently framegen is fullscreen only? I'm borderless not sure I have any fullscreen games with a 21:9 monitor most games won't support it, super resolution doesn't want to know either only the FSR mod from nexus has any effect

Also, do you have a RX 7000 series GPU?
7900XTX

Last edited:
Soldato
There is something weird going on with this new preview driver, with frame generation enabled (in borderless or fullscreen mode)

AMD's metric overlay reports 100% microstutter when first loading a level in the Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 (including the cyberpunk benchmark).

The problem only goes away if I return to my Windows desktop, then switch back to the game (microstutter returns to 0 and frame gen starts working as expected). Or, just manually disabling then re-enabling frame generation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom