US: American Gods - Starts May 1st Amazon / Starz (Wheres the post?)

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Watched the rest of the series in one sitting and my opinion hasn't changed - visually stunning and engaging, but writers can't deliver the story for toffee. There are moments in it, like Laura's origin story, which are delivered very well, but the rest of it is so badly told it requires extensive forum support and director's commentary track for logical continuity. It's like a running commentary on the whole new wave of incoherent ranting "event" TV shows for the medical marihuana audience - the Mr. Robots Season Twos and Legions of this year - five minute plots surrounded by 40 minutes of awe inducing drivel, picturesque "dancing about architecture" shows, you know - where a guest cameo of Bowie at the back of a limo is a highlight of the episode for watercooler talk rather than what actually happened in terms of plot.

Associate
I only really followed it as I had read the book a few years ago, had to explain things to the wife. Also felt most of the characters were weak and other than Mad Sweeney I didn't like any of them.
the only down point for the whole series for me is ricky whittle. that guy is a terrible actor imo and i cant stand the guy however thankfully it didnt ruin the whole series for me

Soldato
I've just started this series. Up to episode 3, never read the books.

How discombobulated are the plots in each episode!? Pretty fun though. The visuals are amazing. I now want a bigger and better TV. I'm still left, mouth open, muttering "wtf" at the end of each episode. I'm assuming the plot comes together with a clear direction soon enough though?

Soldato
the only down point for the whole series for me is ricky whittle. that guy is a terrible actor imo and i cant stand the guy however thankfully it didnt ruin the whole series for me
I actually thought he played the character well, excusing the last episode. He pulled off the utter bewilderment/contempt I would assume most of the audience felt during the first few episodes! :)

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Got up to speed with episode 8. Some actual direction and some reveals at last.

I feel slightly stupid for not guessing who Mr Wednesday was in light of all the clues.

The story is definitely slow (but not good in the Better Call Saul sense), the acting by most is decent enough for the hollow scripts, and the visuals are really good and make up for a lot of the issues.

Will keep watching but I can't see this being a long runner. To compare it against GoT... I hope they fired the agency that used that tagline. It's a terrible comparison on every level.

Caporegime
I feel slightly stupid for not guessing who Mr Wednesday was in light of all the clues.

And rightly so! :p

Even if you didn't know the origins of the word Wednesday, you had stuff like "one good eye", "can fall asleep anywhere" (reference to the Odinsleep, which admittedly Marvel did make up) and his ravens giving it all away.

Back
Top Bottom