Android mini pc (MK802). Anyone got one ?

Caporegime
Companies are churning these things out, new kid on the block:

Hardkernel’s $129 ODROID-X is a powerful little development board, but the price tag might be a little off-putting for some. Now the company’s offering two new models at price points that are little bit closer to Raspberry Pi territory: the ODROID-U and ODROID-U2.

The base model sells for just $69, and it features the same quad-core 1.4GHz Samsung Exynos 4412 processor found in some Galaxy S3 variants. It’s got 1GB of RAM, an eMMC connector and microSD slot for storage, two USB 2.0 ports, integrated 10/100 Ethernet, a micro HDMI port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. It measures about two inches square, making the ODROID-U series about half the width of the Raspberry Pi.

For an extra $20 you can step up to the ODROID-U2 (insert your own geeky Bono joke here). It’s got a speedier processor — the Galaxy Note 2?s Exynos Prime 4412 clocked at 1.7GHz — 2GB of RAM, a 10% faster Mali-400 GPU, and a 3.5mm audio input jack.

Both prices include worldwide shipping and one other nice little bonus. The industrial-chic aluminum heatsink pictured above (which doubles as an semi-open case for the ODROID-U) is included, too. On the firmware side of the equation, Hardkernel is providing downloadable images of both Android and Ubuntu.

The ODROID-U2 and ODROID-U will begin shipping on December 21 and January 16 respectively. They’re available for pre-order now, as is an upgraded version of the ODROID-X.

Hardkernel is also getting ready to ship the ODROID-X2 with an Exynos Prime 4412, and it’s been priced at $135. It’ll start shipping on December 10.

Caporegime
Read my post above. The ODROID is the new kid on the block. Basically a Samsung GS3 for $70 (ODROID-U) and a more beefy (ODROID-U2) version for $20 more. The ODROID-X2 comes with several more USB ports. Their site provides lot of extras including a WiFi adapter, bluetooth adapter, memory cards with Android preinstalled etc.

Associate
So the main difference between the Odroid U2 and X2 is the 4 extra USBs?

Surely you could add extra ones cheaper with a hub?

Id just use it for streaming Netflix. So could get away with just two, one for wifi, one for remote control.

What is the eMMC module on the extras? Would any USB Wifi work, ive got an xbox one i no longer use?

Hmm once you add the extras to the U2, like wifi and plug, plus shipping its about £90. You can pick up a Roku, WDTV or Apple TV for less.

Last edited:
Associate
After looking at this I'm kinda tempted by an android for the TV, I'm thinking about the Minix Neo X5... Kinda goes away from the look of the Andy Roid dongle\bare board of the ones mentioned here and more towards the Apple TV look. For £85 I can get the Minix X5 and a gyro-remote which has a qwerty keyboard on it... Very tempting.

Man of Honour
Tbh I'm leaning away from oodroid. What do you need extra USB sockets for?
Doesn't come with case or power supply. Can't be powered by USB.

I may well get a ug007 or a mk802-iii for the built in Bluetooth.

So it's convince vs extra power and tbh, the dual core cortex 9 has been absolutely fine for my needs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep and a rip off.
It's identical spec to mk808

Edit - scratch taht comes with the Rii I10 keyboard.
So £60 vs £80 still expensive but not as bad as if it had no keyboard.

Then again you can get the better speced mk802-iii + keyboard for £65

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to bump this but these things have started to catch my attention!

any idea whats best for the money at the moment Glaucus? Interested for the TV in the lounge for netflix streaming etc.

Soldato
In the same boat, really fancy one of these to play with while the weathers crap, never really get round to hooking the laptop up to the TV for netflicks so something like the MK808 + Mele F10 looks promising. Also really looking forward to the Ouya, will probably get one of those anyway, just to hack more than anything. I have a gadget problem :(

Soldato
A wireless keyboard is the bet IMO. I have a Lenovo N5902 which I will use for the time being, and I think read somewhere there are apps that let you control it with Android phone, but that could have been for XBMC...

Back
Top Bottom