• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
It’s only Nvidia’s absurd pricing and renaming that makes these look any good, had a 4070 been a 4060 for £300 and a 4070ti been a 4060ti for £450 then this card would have been price around £300-350

Yea indeed but those times are gone now. I was hoping before i had to buy things would change but pricing went even higher for some cards. If the 7900xt came in around $650-700 and was called 7800xt i would have got it ages ago or even if they just kept the 7900xt name would have bought. The name don't really matter to me once they are reviewed and priced.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you expected to much of the mid end chip. You can't blame me for following the forums, websites and knowing it was not a real 7800xt. That's on you for raising your hopes up in the worst time ever to want cheap fast cards. Been around here to long to get the hopes up especially as of late.
You think that expecting a successor to be better than it's predecessor is expecting too much? Kind of begs the question of why bother releasing a successor if it's not better.

Not sure where you got the idea that i was blaming you "for following the forums, websites and knowing it was not a real 7800xt", or for that matter where you got the idea that i raised my hopes, seems like you're just making stuff up because you know your names don't matter arguments is poppycock.

Soldato
You think that expecting a successor to be better than it's predecessor is expecting too much? Kind of begs the question of why bother releasing a successor if it's not better.

Not sure where you got the idea that i was blaming you "for following the forums, websites and knowing it was not a real 7800xt", or for that matter where you got the idea that i raised my hopes, seems like you're just making stuff up because you know your names don't matter arguments is poppycock.

The point is i knew it was not the successor as the successor came out at the end of last year. Navi 21 was 6900xt full fat and 6800xt slightly cut down. Navi 31 is 7900xtx and 7900xt (7800xt) slightly cut down. Navi 31 and 21 are the high end chips. It's been known for a long time now the antics AMD and Nvidia were playing. So i had no expectations when the 7800xt was Navi 32 which is the mid range. It's all over the place on here and the internet. So yea if you don't read much then the name and performance might confuse you if you expected a 6800xt succesor. A week ago before any benches there was a timespy score leaked and it was around 6800xt performance. I don't know what else to say really bar yea it's daft from AMD but a bit of reading on here and you would have known more or less what to expect.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/zkv4zb/the_7900_xt_is_just_a_7800_xt_renamed_after/ Thread from 9 months ago elsewhere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So many invested in a company that doesn't give a damn

Out of interest, what tech companies do give a damn about gamers? It's all about separating you from your money, that's it. And I'd say everyone understands that, but people have their preferences and they spend how they like.

Soldato
I gave up over 4 years ago with pc's and especially gpu's, still have my Vega64,
Bought an Xbox Series X last Christmas and I really haven't missed a thing. Same old lack of game tech, same old stagnation and price fixing, the only difference is we have Intel as a 3rd player.

Soldato
I gave up over 4 years ago with pc's and especially gpu's, still have my Vega64,
Bought an Xbox Series X last Christmas and I really haven't missed a thing. Same old lack of game tech, same old stagnation and price fixing, the only difference is we have Intel as a 3rd player.
If it were not for having loads of friends that i game online with i would have considered doing the same. New card coming so got more years to go now.

Soldato
If it were not for having loads of friends that i game online with i would have considered doing the same. New card coming so got more years to go now.
I remember back in the day I think you had a V64 along with Tony Turbo. What are you upgrading from and which 7800 did you go for?
I was looking at the 7800 reviews today, excluding RT it seems to spank the horrific 4060ti and it's up there with the outrageously overpriced 4070.
Still i held off on Nv 2000 series for pricing, then I held off during the mining craze, hence I went console as was just fed up with it all.
I get what you mean with with the online gaming, but my older games still play ok on the 64 (Dayz/arma flight sims) , so It's nice to have both the console in the front room, and pc in my bedroom.

I must say though I am tempted to just say sod it and go for a 7900xt as my friend has just bought one, but for me It's not just a simple gpu upgrade, I'd need a new system to go with it..

Soldato
I remember back in the day I think you had a V64 along with Tony Turbo. What are you upgrading from and which 7800 did you go for?
I was looking at the 7800 reviews today, excluding RT it seems to spank the horrific 4060ti and it's up there with the outrageously overpriced 4070.
Still i held off on Nv 2000 series for pricing, then I held off during the mining craze, hence I went console as was just fed up with it all.
I get what you mean with with the online gaming, but my older games still play ok on the 64 (Dayz/arma flight sims) , so It's nice to have both the console in the front room, and pc in my bedroom.

I must say though I am tempted to just say sod it and go for a 7900xt as my friend has just bought one, but for me It's not just a simple gpu upgrade, I'd need a new system to go with it..
I still have Vega 64 as like you i couldnt stomach the prices. I held on thinking it might get better but caved and my 7900xt should come tomorrow. I was going to get the 7800xt but on Tuesday it looked like no stock would be around. I waited long enough so the 7900xt it is.

Soldato
I still have Vega 64 as like you i couldnt stomach the prices. I held on thinking it might get better but caved and my 7900xt should come tomorrow. I was going to get the 7800xt but on Tuesday it looked like no stock would be around. I waited long enough so the 7900xt it is.
I don't think it will never get better price wise, those days are long gone. see that's exactly my thoughts too, I look forward to your results.

Soldato
I don't think it will never get better price wise, those days are long gone. see that's exactly my thoughts too, I look forward to your results.
Yea i doubt its ever going back to decent pricing. The only thing that could ease it in the uk is a much stronger pound but that dont look good either.

Associate

I gave up console gaming years ago (the last four consoles I owned were a PS3, 360, Wii and Wii U) because everyone started charging for online play. Even Nintendo are at now.

PC gaming is worth spending the money on because of Mods, VR and VR Mods.

I can now play Resident Evils 2, 3, 7 and Village on my PC, and once I get my new PC built I can turn the graphics settings up to 11.

And Skyrim VR with 200 or so Mods is a completely different game on the PC compared to the PS4 and PSVR. It's literally chalk and cheese.

And with my Quest 2 I can play all of these games wireless, too.

I used to play a combination of consoles and a PC years ago, but I'm exclusively a PC VR gamer these days. I don't even play flat PC games since I got my OG Rift on launch day in 2016. After being INSIDE these games, a flat game just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Soldato
Surprised at people getting fooled by the names. We knew what chips were being used and we knew which cards bracketed then and their performance and price. This is a marking time generation for various reasons, definitely not one for 6000 series owners. I had 3060Ti the 6950XT was a good uplift at a price I was prepared to pay. That's how all buying decisions should be made ;)

Soldato
The GPU market continues to be a steaming pile of hot garbage and PC games continue to be, for the most part, unoptimised console port trash.

I just don't see the incentive to spend four figure sums on a PC anymore, for gaming at least.

Soldato
Absolutely, in fact it has been a running theme for well over a year that Nvidia and to a lesser extent AMD were moving their GPU tiering up in price. Nvidia moved theirs up two tiers and AMD one tier.

From Nvidia’s epic price grab scam for the 4080 12GB shambles, to the real 4080 costing almost twice as much as the 3080. Or AMD calling the real 7800 XT the 7900 XT and bumping the price 50%.

This meant that all tiers were always going to look very poor VFM and the utter joke that is the price/perf for every GPU this gen was always coming. AMD might not be as bad as Nvidia but it’s still bad.

So the 7800 XT is really the 6700 XT two years later with a ~5% increase in MSRP and a ~45% increase in performance. It’s one of those hold your nose and accept that “well at least it’s not Nvidia levels of bad”.

We can moan all we want, but the people accepting scalped prices during the pandemic and paid £1000 for RTX 3080s and 6800s. Or the people who accepted Nvidia’s $1000 gaming GPUs 10 years ago because they called them “Titan”. They are the FOMO low will power clowns that sent a clear message to Nvidia and AMD for the past 10 years. “We love a good shafting”.

We almost collectively asked for this and deserve it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I gave up console gaming years ago (the last four consoles I owned were a PS3, 360, Wii and Wii U) because everyone started charging for online play. Even Nintendo are at now.

PC gaming is worth spending the money on because of Mods, VR and VR Mods.

I can now play Resident Evils 2, 3, 7 and Village on my PC, and once I get my new PC built I can turn the graphics settings up to 11.

And Skyrim VR with 200 or so Mods is a completely different game on the PC compared to the PS4 and PSVR. It's literally chalk and cheese.

And with my Quest 2 I can play all of these games wireless, too.

I used to play a combination of consoles and a PC years ago, but I'm exclusively a PC VR gamer these days. I don't even play flat PC games since I got my OG Rift on launch day in 2016. After being INSIDE these games, a flat game just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.
I'd argue that Wii, Wii u aren't really worthy consoles in the hardware department, but they do have offer a different set of games which provide a fresh experience from the repetition from Ps/xbox/Pc.

Don't forget there were two mining booms which made pc hardware unobtainable and expensive, the later one was the kick in the nuts, because it also was elongated by the effects of covid and silicon shortages.
At the launch of Xbox series X, they were hard to get hold of and game tech wasn't using the potential of the hardware. But still An Xbox series was far more cost effective when the nv3000 series was launched. Xbox with a blu ray drive and it's hardware spec literally cannot be beaten when you consider you get a whole console for the same price as a new crap graphics card. With Game pass then I can also use it for my old pc.

VR I've only tried with Elite and a few car games Flight sim and I agree it can absolutely transform the experience, however I was borrowing a friend's set and at the time the resolution wasn't perfect and I do suffer from fake motion.
Maybe VR has improved now, how much does it cost for a decent one?

Soldato
The GPU market continues to be a steaming pile of hot garbage and PC games continue to be, for the most part, unoptimised console port trash.

I just don't see the incentive to spend four figure sums on a PC anymore, for gaming at least.
Having recently purchased the GeForce now RTX 4080 tier of streaming, can honestly say there is no better value option out there right now...it runs flawlessly if you have a good network connection, just make sure you want to play the games that feature on the platform.

Associate
There are some delusions going round in these forums that “tomorrow will be a better day” and “Nvidia and AMD will cut prices” and come “crawling back to gamers.”

That narrative is what’s keeping those folks going and anything to challenge that is brought down with some accusations of single handedly denying “gamers” of cards if any had taken part in mining.

If you had wanted a decent card at a decent price you signed up for alerts and eventually in 2 years you would have got one.

That narrative is lala land and sooner those realise it the better OR they call it a day and leave PC gaming for consoles when their current cards clap out/can’t play AAA games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom