• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Here we go again... how much less should it be? its 20%, 30%? 40%? 50%? before its better value than the 4070? perhaps they should be given away when you buy a copy of Starfield?

I think at £499 with Starfield it is a bleedin bargain. I just had to stump up for that, and even from a key site it cost me £45.

Problem has been once all of the influencers who get free cards (or them paid for by their audience) started to act all entitled and spoiled everything from every one has been reviewed from a nihilist perspective. At some point something has to be worth having.

Caporegime
I think at £499 with Starfield it is a bleedin bargain. I just had to stump up for that, and even from a key site it cost me £45.

Problem has been once all of the influencers who get free cards (or them paid for by their audience) started to act all entitled and spoiled everything from every one has been reviewed from a nihilist perspective. At some point something has to be worth having.

Yes. Its decent without a copy of Starfield.

The real problem is its not cheap enough, 20% cheaper is not enough to make Nvidia budge on the $600 for the 4070, that's why its too expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
$350 and $450 would have been the good deal prices but as it stands the 7800XT is barely better than the 6800XT in cost and performance while the 7700XT is actually worse value than the 6800 offering similar price performance with but a smaller bus and less VRAM.

Caporegime
$350 and $450 would have been the good deal prices but as it stands the 7800XT is barely better than the 6800XT in cost and performance while the 7700XT is actually worse value than the 6800 offering similar price performance with but a smaller bus and less VRAM.

Its the 4060Ti 16GB for you my friend...

I'm off to watch the news.

Soldato

The main difference though will be that you can get one at retail price or even less.

Am I wrong or is there no MBA 7700XT? that may be why it costs too much also.

Something else people need to realise is this is a business. And business is about money. So we can all dream of what we think things are worth but at the end of the day it isn't our opinion that prices GPUs is it?

AMD especially make far less than Nvidia, so they will do what any business does and that is? charge as much as you dare.

Soldato

What's the alternative? 4060ti or 4070 ?

This whole generation sucks, but imo the best offerings are from AMD, 7900xt , 7800xt , 7700xt compared to what Nvidia are offering

Last edited:
Soldato
But then it's massive between the 7800XT and 7900XT.

It would be nice to think the 7900XT will come down even further in price but that maybe wishful thinking.

Based on some back of a fag packet maths, the AMD slides and Techspot reviews the 7800XT is ~ 77% of 7900XT in MW2 which makes sense it it has ~71% of the compute units and scaling isn't 100%.

That suggests the 7800XT will be better FP£ than the 7900XT already is at it's current selling price , add in Starfield and it's a fair buy in this market.
We all want cheaper GPU's but with inflation the 6800XT would be launching >£770 today so what you get is 3 year old perfomance (launched Nov 20) for ~65% of the price with enough VRAM and a Decent AAA game. (Nvidia's deal for a dead game battle pass is a joke)

I do think as ever card prices will slip a little from MSRP as we get the end of the year. I also read but can't find the link now there will be price drops on 6750XT, 6800 etc to clear inventory so could be more deals to come.
Sadly it seems £400 - £600 is now the mid range.

Last edited:
Soldato
In a parallel universe where crypto didn't exist the 4070 could have been a 4060 priced at £300, a 4070ti could have been a 4060ti for £400 and a 4080 could have been a 4070 priced at £500, not sure what AMD would have done then.

But they didn't though. This isn't the same Nvidia which did that when they released the 8800GT/8800GTS 512MB within a year of the 8800GTX and less than half the price,and made the whole previous range look out of date. This was also an era where ATI was basically stuck at competing at £150 with the HD3870,ie,they had no need to price the 8800GT 512MB so well.

They looked at Apple and basically wanted that. Less sales,more margins. Its why Apple does not publish sales numbers for iPhones and slowly got rid of entry level options.

Even without cryto plenty of gamers paid massively beyond RRP too. Now you have everyone apparently being an AI master on tech and gaming forums,so it wouldn't surprise me people are also paying for that too.Then all the people saying they will pay "more" for value added software features. Or people who went from not caring about power consumption before April 2023 with Ampere suddenly caring. Since last year Nvidia stopped caring even a little.

So the reality to look better value does not take much from AMD or Intel. Cards such as the RX6600/RX6600XT/RX6700XT/A750/A770 make the RTX4060/RTX4060TI look a mockery in terms of value for money. The RX7700XT makes the RTX4060TI 16GB look even worse. Yes,you can get an RTX4070 but that is nearly £100 more,plus you won't even get a decent game included with it.

So if you can't hold off,there is little reason to buy something like an RTX4060. So what we have is Nvidia offering hardly any price/performance improvements,and AMD/Intel offering improvements on the lower end of the scale....but they are improvements.

Ultimately as much as I don't like what AMD is doing with upselling Navi 32,the reality like Intel they are cheaper overall at most levels. The fact is Nvidia doesn't even bother to respond in any meaningful way in the last few years.If this was the old Nvidia they would have priced dropped the RTX4070 to $500 by now,and dropped the price of the RTX4060TI 16GB by $50. Then AMD would have probably dropped the price a few dollars more and so on. But since they won't do it AMD,has made a decision that they are cheap enough and you either buy their product with a free copy of an expensive game or pay much more for the Nvidia one(or get less VRAM) and some stupid Battlepass for Overwatch 2.

We really need Intel to get some headway in their graphics division.

Because it seems consoles are now essentially the entry level/mainstream gaming systems. The PS5 Pro apparently is 60CU which means its going to be better than most of the top 10 Steam dGPUs! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the alternative? 4060ti or 4070 ?

This whole generation sucks, but imo the best offerings are from AMD, 7900xt , 7800xt , 7700xt compared to what Nvidia are offering

The 7900XT at £600 imo was a complete bargain. I did get a little epeen envy having forked that over recently for a 6950XT.

Also a memo people seem to have missed when talking about the 30 vs 6000 series? cost to produce. AMD cards cost a F load more than Nvidia's to make, and they included a big chunk more VRAM also. Ironically most of the people who bought a 6950xt since the price cuts were upgrading from 3070s or 3080s because of the VRAM. Which is pretty sad when you think that people had to buy two cards from the exact same gen because of how Nvidia did them over..

We saw just how much Nvidia want for TSMC dies this gen. I think a lot of people need to think about the big picture tbh.

The 7800XT could be £50 cheaper. If it were? blimey, they would indeed have the maxwell moment many predicted. Sadly things actually cost money to make, and Polaris was cheap yes but it was miles from Nvidia's best AND sold by the bucket load. I doubt they made much money on that, it was all about a land grab but they could not back it up with the frankly terrible Vega. So they were back to square 1.

TBH I reckon before long it will be £50 cheaper any way, for reasons we have discussed. I think once the 6800XT and 6950XT stock is gone? they will prove keen to move forward and reduce prices. Nvidia haven't reduced any prices on any GPU, yet AMD have been cutting prices by up to £200 recently on the 7900XT and have been selling last gen 6950XTs for £600, which is about half the price they were fetching before.

I also think that pairing with Bethesda MS on Starfield was a superb idea, and I think if that is as good as we are all hoping? it will help to shift A LOT of GPUs for them. Especially the 7800XT, which like I say is a bit of a bargain at £499.

Soldato
I don't understand why some people need to white knight for a company sticking them with a 7 incher.

Because we are not all pessimists and if we actually want to play bigger and better games at some point we need to bite the pillow and buy SOMETHING.

We can't all sit here and agree with the reviewers and influencers and not buy anything. Doesn't work like that.

I needed a new card for 4k recently (FC6, DI2, PUBG and a bonus 4k playthrough of TLOU) and I had to buy something because my 2080Ti was choking terribly at 4k. I bought a 6950XT, which at that moment in time was about the best I could do with £600. Which isn't that much more than a 980Ti I bought once, less than a Titan Maxwell, less than a Titan XP I got for £675 about two weeks after launch and so on.

At some point if you need a GPU? you have to buy one. Sitting around moaning won't get you anything.

Caporegime
Because we are not all pessimists and if we actually want to play bigger and better games at some point we need to bite the pillow and buy SOMETHING.

We can't all sit here and agree with the reviewers and influencers and not buy anything. Doesn't work like that.

I needed a new card for 4k recently (FC6, DI2, PUBG and a bonus 4k playthrough of TLOU) and I had to buy something because my 2080Ti was choking terribly at 4k. I bought a 6950XT, which at that moment in time was about the best I could do with £600. Which isn't that much more than a 980Ti I bought once, less than a Titan Maxwell, less than a Titan XP I got for £675 about two weeks after launch and so on.

At some point if you need a GPU? you have to buy one. Sitting around moaning won't get you anything.

There's a difference between buying something because there isn't anything else and actively supporting a specific company.

I've got an RX6800.
I'd have bought a 7900XT at £699 if I had the cash spare as it was the best buy at the time, but it's not a good thing

Soldato
There's a difference between buying something because there isn't anything else and actively supporting a specific company.

I've got an RX6800.
I'd have bought a 7900XT at £699 if I had the cash spare as it was the best buy at the time, but it's not a good thing

Well again it just depends how you look at it I suppose.

My last three? all AMD. And all three have been cheaper than the Nvidia cards I bought for years before.

*paid £1600 for a 2080Ti*

I mean seriously my bank manager probably clapped when he saw I bought a 6950XT for £600 tbh.

I knew at the advent of the 20 series they were going to cost a fortune, going from tiny dies back to big ones, and I wasn't wrong.

Soldato

Has been for years mate. GTX 1080 launched at $599.

The problem is RT. It needs big, expensive and complicated dies. As such all of that is reflected in the price, whether you care about it or not.

So therefore, $499 for a mid range card with everything considered with a $75 game? imo isn't half bad. At all.

People need to snap out of influencer mode for a while.

Associate
You need to also factor in that AMD still have 6000 stock on shelves, too. They will want that long gone before they drop prices.

They will though, as they always seem a lot more keen to do so (7900XT for £600 recently). They also dropped the price of the 7600 quite well too, and it too comes with SF.
When was the 7900XT £600? Lowest ive seen it was £699 on ocuk

Back
Top Bottom