• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Its the 4060Ti 16GB for you my friend...

I'm off to watch the news.
A 4060ti is not for me as I have a 3080 and 3 years on there is no GPU on the market that beats it for less money than the £649 I paid, now either that's a testament to how good a 3080 was or how bad all the newer stuff is.

Last edited:
Soldato
A 4060ti is not for me as I have a 3080 and 3 years on there is no GPU on the market that beats it for less money than the £649 I paid, now either that's a testament to how good a 3080 was or how bad all the newer stuff is.

Well if you got it for that price and not the grand or so they were fetching? you did well.

You need to remember though that was a cheap AF Samsung die. Things have changed a lot since then. TBH? I would have preferred they stuck with Samsung in all honesty. Problem is Jen was too worried about possibly being a few % slower than AMD this round and his ego is simply too big to put up with that. So back to TSMC, with Nvidia tax, and you have the 40 series.

You won't get any value out of the 40 series no matter which one you look at.

Soldato
If the 7800XT is really a little faster than the 6800XT while also being $150 cheaper, I think it's pretty good.

It doesn't sound like a meaningful performance uplift, but the the price drop is. RDNA2 money preformed well at $650. If $500 RDNA3 dollars are as fast, or faster than RDNA2's $650 price point, I think that's decent progress.

Soldato
there's me thinking value is a subjective thing :)

Exactly.... it depends how you define value.

If you bought a 2080 super you now get 50% more performance and +4GB of RAM buying a 4070 for the same retail price.
Accounting for inflation almost gets you a 4070Ti in real terms, a net 80% FPS uplift including RT you might actually be able to use in 2 gens.

The pain is in the lower - mid range £200 - £300 price point ... but even there you can have a decent go of 1080p with a little help from FSR

Next gen won't be better value.... buy what you can afford and spend the rest on games that run well on your hardware.

Soldato
Well if you got it for that price and not the grand or so they were fetching? you did well.

You need to remember though that was a cheap AF Samsung die. Things have changed a lot since then. TBH? I would have preferred they stuck with Samsung in all honesty. Problem is Jen was too worried about possibly being a few % slower than AMD this round and his ego is simply too big to put up with that. So back to TSMC, with Nvidia tax, and you have the 40 series.

You won't get any value out of the 40 series no matter which one you look at.
While TSMC 5nm is around 2.5x the price of samsung, GPU's like the $800 4070ti are only using a die which is half the size, also VRAM has come down from around $13 per gigabyte when ampere came out to under $3 per gigabyte now so I don't think product cost is a factor is why this gen costs a lot more.

Soldato
I don’t really understand the proximity of AMD’s pricing, this was the same thing they got criticised for with with the 7900 XT/XTX. At such a small price difference, the 7700 seems almost pointless.

Well it's basically the same gpu that's why

The spec difference between a 4090 and 4080 is huge, 60% more cores on the 4090

The 7900xtx and xt are pretty close in spec and the 7800xt and 7700xt are nearly identical

During RTX3000 Nvidia showed it was very proficient at cutting dies to make smaller GPUs and could pump them out rapidly. AMD really struggles to cut dies and make smaller GPUs from the same die, it takes them a long time to come out with a new product and the differences between models is super small

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t really understand the proximity of AMD’s pricing, this was the same thing they got criticised for with with the 7900 XT/XTX. At such a small price difference, the 7700 seems almost pointless.

There is no MBA 7700XT.

Meaning AIBs have to design and make their own boards and designs, and manufacture them and then make a profit whilst adding their own tax.

That goes a long way to making explaining it for me because one thing AMD don’t do is totally screw over their own AIBPs by setting impossible to match “no middleman” prices.

Remember there is a reason why EVGA packed in making GPUs.

None of that makes a 7700XT worth only £50 less but then who cares?

I mean, if you have £450 to spend you’d be nuts not to pay the extra £50 any way.

Soldato
While TSMC 5nm is around 2.5x the price of samsung, GPU's like the $800 4070ti are only using a die which is half the size, also VRAM has come down from around $13 per gigabyte when ampere came out to under $3 per gigabyte now so I don't think product cost is a factor is why this gen costs a lot more.

From Memory Nvidia = 70%. That’s how much they charge on top of Samsung and on. So the profit margin has not changed.

Caporegime

You're supposed to buy the 4080, for £1100.

What are you going to do because we all know the RTX 5000 series will get another price hike.

Caporegime
Exactly.... it depends how you define value.

If you bought a 2080 super you now get 50% more performance and +4GB of RAM buying a 4070 for the same retail price.
Accounting for inflation almost gets you a 4070Ti in real terms, a net 80% FPS uplift including RT you might actually be able to use in 2 gens.

The pain is in the lower - mid range £200 - £300 price point ... but even there you can have a decent go of 1080p with a little help from FSR

Next gen won't be better value.... buy what you can afford and spend the rest on games that run well on your hardware.

I have a 2070 Super, where is my upgrade?

Soldato
there's me thinking value is a subjective thing :)

It is. But the 40 series are bad value across the board.

The only card worth paying the outrageous price for is the 4090, but that doesn’t make it a value proposition in any shape or form. It’s the fastest, that is where it ends.

It’s even worse when you consider the 30 series prices and the short lived relief we had from the horrible 20 series prices.

I know that performance is all any one should care about but for example the 6950XT cost far more to make than the 3090ti yet the RRP was £800 less.

And in less than a year of its launch you could get it for £600. Literally 11 months from launch.

Soldato
You're supposed to buy the 4080, for £1100.

What are you going to do because we all know the RTX 5000 series will get another price hike.

Tell you what people keep laughing at my posts but I’ll deffo have the last laugh if the rumours are true.

AMD to stop making high end cards completely and going back to more of a Polaris approach.

Meaning next round could top out at 8800XT and anything Nvidia make that’s faster could easily make the 40 series look cheap.

That is what happens when you get a whole area of the market all to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom