• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

I have a 2070 Super, where is my upgrade?
Sell it for £200 on MM and buy a 3080 for £350, for £150 net you’d be looking at +85% performance +25% more VRAM, you’d probably get some warranty thrown in as well as I’d guess your 2070S is out by now.

Last edited:
If you currently need a card the 7800XT sounds okay. In the context of the last couple of years it's a bit meh. Glad I bought a 6950XT, but it cost more for more performance. If I still had my, 3060Ti I'd look at the 7800XT. The 7900XT is still more than I'd personally spend on a GPU.

a lot of people and GN nexus saying the specs are nearly identical between the 7700/7800 but I think the extra 4gb VRAM is a thing, a thing that shouldn't be understated imo.
It’s clear when looking at the specs the 7800XT is the better buy, +15% more CU’s and 33% more VRAM + bus width for 11% more money,

So....

7600 £240 (cheapest pre order on ocuk, no idea on rrp, 260 maybe)
7700 £450

It's a big gap. Maybe the 6750 GRE rumours are true, I know likely this doesn't happen for competition, but it would be much more helpful to know from AMD. Our product stack is XYZ some of the older cards are staying as entry points for market, as I note some of the older stuff goes up for pre order every now and again.

Anyway, if I stuck on my buy best performance at £200 and change every couple of years, I would have an easier decision to make hah.

So....

7600 £240 (cheapest pre order on ocuk, no idea on rrp, 260 maybe)
7700 £450

It's a big gap. Maybe the 6750 GRE rumours are true, I know likely this doesn't happen for competition, but it would be much more helpful to know from AMD. Our product stack is XYZ some of the older cards are staying as entry points for market, as I note some of the older stuff goes up for pre order every now and again.

Anyway, if I stuck on my buy best performance at £200 and change every couple of years, I would have an easier decision to make hah.
I think we’ll see a 40CU 7600XT at some point probably for around $350

Last edited:
I think we’ll see a 40CU 7600XT at some point probably for around $350
Yep, good point Joxeon!

I forgot about the XT differentiator in the current stack. I just had a log into ocuk, shocked to see my current gpu I have had for 4 years. I broke my own value rule at the time and got a vega 64 for mining at £300.
With covid ended up a good thing I guess. But now in that akward... 6600 does not feel enough of an upgrade, 6700 feels old. I'll just wait for the XT's hah. Probably get bored and buy an Arc.

Finally a card i feel that just about offers decent value. It might be the 6700xt replacement with the 7800xt name but it also comes in close to 6700xt release pricing with a decent bump in performance. Vega64 will finally be retiring from my PC. The 7700xt is just to close in price to consider but i think it will drop further off when AMD want to sell more of them. Both gpu's should be decent for 1440p gaming for a good few years and in my case F123 is probably the most demanding game i play atm. @TNA no more laughing at my Vega64 soon hahaha

Last edited:
Here we go again... how much less should it be? its 20%, 30%? 40%? 50%? before its better value than the 4070? perhaps they should be given away when you buy a copy of Starfield?
It's not the price that's the problem this time around IMO, it's the specs and/or naming.

The 7800XT has fewer CU's than its previous generation namesake (60 vs 72) and it's the only 7000 series card (afaik) to have fewer CU's this generation than last.

I mean the next card up in the stack, the 7900 GRE, has 80 and the 7700 XT has 54 so you'd expect the 7800 XT to fall roughly in the middle of those two but it doesn't, it has 6 more than a 7700 XT and 20 fewer than the 7900 GRE.

Maybe they'll release a 7900 non-XT with 72 CU's for $600 or something to fill that 20 CU + $200-400 gap in their line-up in the future but i don't expect they will.

Last edited:
It's not the price that's the problem this time around IMO, it's the specs and/or naming.

The 7800XT has fewer CU's than its previous generation namesake (60 vs 72) and it's the only 7000 series card (afaik) to have fewer CU's this generation than last.

I mean the next card up in the stack, the 7900 GRE, has 80 and the 7700 XT has 54 so you'd expect the 7800 XT to fall roughly in the middle of those two but it doesn't, it has 6 more than a 7700 XT and 20 fewer than the 7900 GRE.

Maybe they'll release a 7900 non-XT with 72 CU's for $600 or something to fill that 20 CU + $200-400 gap in their line-up in the future but i don't expect they will.

I agree but AMD might be calling it a 7800xt but it's not priced as a 6800xt replacement. It's more priced as a 6700xt replacement which saves it imo. It should still be faster than the 6800xt as well but not by much. In it's price segment it should be around 30% or more faster than the card it's replacing name aside. 6700xt was RRP $480 and 7800xt RRP $500

Last edited:
RX 6700XT Launch price was $479, so these are split either side of that

Yea it's still not great compared to where we were when i bought my current PC 5 years back but in this day i think it's as good as it's going to get on a release gpu. It's close to old school high end prices for the Mid range card but i need an upgrade and this fits the bill in the current climate.

Finally a card i feel that just about offers decent value. It might be the 6700xt replacement with the 7800xt name but it also comes in close to 6700xt release pricing with a decent bump in performance. Vega64 will finally be retiring from my PC. The 7700xt is just to close in price to consider but i think it will drop further off when AMD want to sell more of them. Both gpu's should be decent for 1440p gaming for a good few years and in my case F123 is probably the most demanding game i play atm. @TNA no more laughing at my Vega64 soon hahaha

Yup from this terrible generation, AMD are offering the best value it's the best we gonna get, Nvidia offerings are just a joke would never consider 4060ti or 4070 over these

Hope AMD take some market share if only AMD released these 6 months ago

Last edited:
I agree but AMD might be calling it a 7800xt but it's not priced as a 6800xt replacement. It's more priced as a 6700xt replacement which saves it imo. It should still be faster than the 6800xt as well but not by much. In it's price segment it should be around 30% or more faster than the card it's replacing name aside. 6700xt was RRP $480 and 7800xt RRP $500
The thing that gets me is how they're trying to obfuscate the price increases. I get it, it *maybe costing them more but what's peeing me off is how they're trying to hide the price increases behind all the silly reshuffling of model names.

*debatable but OK lets just accept that it is.

Same as last gen IMO, Nvidia wins again at fastest evaaaah GPU, AMD has the better 80, 70 and 60 level cards with the fine wine and VRAM (how's those 8GB and 10GB cards looking now?), and all their bottom end cards are better as well.

Not reflected in MS or sales, but that doesn't matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom