• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Permabanned
Their numbers don't matter to me, my personal experience does. I come to my own conclusions on products, not what a retailer chooses to tell me.

;)
So why are you frantically trying to get your post count up on here trying to be the oracle?

If you know everything and don't need anyone's advice yet think you can give it all to everyone else and they'll listen... Ironic.

You know better than everyone else, so there's nothing for you to learn here or anywhere so what are you doing on here?

Clearly no one else's experiences or warnings against getting bad luck or known dodgy brands interests you?

Nor then, would them recommending any software or games either, cause you'd say their opinions wrong there too...

I imagine you're the don with networking too? What about programming/how about graphic design?

Platinum trophy'ed every game too yeah?

You clearly don't like the fact I and many others have had issues with the brand and come across like a Powercolor shill fanboy, and don't want to accept they do die for some of the consumers, which is a valid point when you're about to buy something new or used. That isn't the right attitude to help someone about to spend a lot of money on something they want to last is it, especially if used with no warranty, why would I not warn someone if I've had bad luck along with insider information relating to the mass sales of them from 2 of the best companies in the uk who sell pc parts?

You are flaunting a god complex clearly... There's nothing for you here, leave.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm surprised they would be willing to disclose this to anyone, tbh, I can't imagine it'd help their relationship with the brands.

Most of these cards are just the last gen with a slightly updated cooler (e.g. the RX 6600 XT coolers look identical to RX 7600), so don't know how anyone manages to muck it up :o
Are you?
It was pretty simple, I rang 2 companies and I mentioned wanting X card by X brand... Both companies basically did me a solid and recommended a better brand and card that was cheaper with a better warranty...

As I was initially ringing up about a typo on ocuk's website regarding warranty vs what scan claimed for the same product...

Anyway TLDR, both scan and ocuk recommended better alternatives for the same or cheaper vs ripping me off, because I was already at this point speaking to the RMA team (because they can confirm better than the sales team the warranty/rma process of each card), I merely mentioned how I'd just had a Powercolor card in my 2nd rig die, what was their experience with them along with Asrock, Zotac/Cheaper brands failing etc/returns rate/refunds/faults/replacements, and both companies recommended other brands either cheaper or the same price and said how Powercolor literally have the highest rma and failure rate...

Can't be more honest than that, if they'd tried to con me to push for something more expensive then fair enough it would sound suspicious, but neither company did...

They actually saved me money:) So can't fault either company... That typo on ocuk's behalf was a blessing in disguise and showed me that both companies were still very genuine/honest :)

Last edited:
Associate
Are there are rules of thumb regarding dual Vs triple fan GPUs?
Less noise on triple fan cards as they could run slower, or is every card different?

Just wondering what fan design is best on upcoming 7700 and 7800.

Last edited:
Associate
Less noise on triple fan cards as they could run slower, or is every card different?

I tend to find the fans generate the same noise level at the same RPM, but a dual fan model typically has a smaller heatsink, so will have a higher chance of spinning up sooner and likely to a higher rpm.

It does depend on the card though, some brands have excellent fans, while others use the cheapest they can find.

Gainward (I know, not an AMD AIB) used to have excellent cooling and fans, but then they started saving pennies and the noise floor rose. Same with MSI, the Mech range is cheap and nasty, but the Gaming X are much higher quality and quieter.

Given the 7700 and 7800 are both over 245w, these are going to generate a fair amount of heat. A bigger, and better quality heat sink will help keeping the noise level down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

It depends on the card, but of the recent reviews with more than one card I've seen on TPU, there was a 3-fan model and in each of the tests, they were highly recommended.

"The MSI Ventus 3X is sold at MSRP, but definitely looks premium, thanks to its elongated triple-fan design. The color theme has been updated compared to the GeForce 30 Ventus cards, it's now a bit more bright and shiny. While ASUS chose the triple-slot approach with their "Dual," MSI's Ventus uses only two slots, but is longer, to fit a bigger heatsink. With 31 cm it should still fit all cases easily, so no problem here. Temperatures are super low, with only 64°C, and noise levels are outstanding, too. The card emits only 28 dBA while running at full load, which is extremely quiet and considerably quieter than the NVIDIA Founders Edition. Actually, the Ventus 3X is the quietest card tested today, with the exception of the ASUS Dual with "quiet" mode BIOS enabled. MSI does not include a dual BIOS on their card, and I don't think it's needed anyway. Rather they picked great fan settings by default. Our apples-to-apples cooler test confirms that the MSI Ventus 3X has the most powerful cooler of all the cards tested today, almost 10°C better than the FE, at the same noise level and heat load."

"ASRock's Phantom Gaming cooling solution is an excellent design. It occupies slightly more than two slots and comes with three fans that are able to move a lot of air when pushed. ASRock opted for the opposite and chose to run their fans very slow, which results in an amazing, whisper-quiet low-noise experience. With just 26-27 dBA, the card is quieter than the other RX 7600 cards tested today, but the differences aren't exactly huge—all cards are very quiet. Temperatures are still great at those noise levels, actually they are the lowest out of all cards too. Wow! Quietest and coolest, at the same time. What's ASRock's secret sauce? Our apples-to-apples cooler comparison test reveals that their cooler is almost 25°C (!) cooler at the same heat load and noise levels—this is a HUGE difference and the cornerstone for the great cooling experience. Even compared to other custom designs the cooler is really good, if you want the best cooling, then the ASRock Phantom Gaming is the card to go for. On the other hand, it's not like the other RX 7600 cards are loud or hot, so it's more a matter of budget and preference. Just like all other recent graphics card releases, the RX 7600 will stop its fans in idle, desktop work, internet browsing and light gaming."

HUB's results were a bit different, the MSI with three fans was the best (Gaming X Trio), but Gigabyte's three fan models didn't do that well:

Permabanned

Speaking in general, I ended up getting a 2 fan card recently instead of a triple, turns out the dual's tend to have bigger fans that run slower but more efficiently/quieter and no joke the benchmarks comparing the more expensive asus TUF version of my card actually preformed worse - granted only by like 2-3fps/bit louder, but still surprising, so it depends on if you want as beefy looking looks wise/or want like I did the fallback of it fitting in your SFF 2nd rig in the future as a bonus upgrade size wise.

Obviously mileage will majorly vary on card/brand/model, but worth comparing a 2 vs 3 fan version of your preferred brand and seeing what comes out better?

Last edited:
Soldato

It's a bit of a minefield.

I had two Zotac 3060TI dual fan cards, one was the OC version and one the base model.
Both had the same physical cooler, nothing special, functional. The base model was nice and quiet.
They had increased the default voltage for the 30Mhz, 2% Overclock so the other card card made a lot more noise and ran 10C+ hotter unless you manually undervolted it.

The base card is now in my eldest's PC while the other was sold on... I think to a certain used electrical equipment store.

Best to try and find some reviews for the cards you are interested in and look for ones with low noise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nvidia FEs are extremely well built and reliable. Not had to RMA them for any functional fault just coil whine or loose heat sinks.

Nvidia are trying to compete with AIB's with the aim of eventually cutting out the middle man, like Apple....

Also does anyone else think the 2 fan 7800xt mba looks a bit ugly?

Its not as nice as the 3 fan ones.... which IMO are very good looking cards.
I think its as a result of AMD trying to offer the same sort of large cooler performance as its bigger siblings while also trying to save a little money on the third fan, and RGB highlights, so the long design with the two fans make for a lot of dead space on the fan side which makes it look a bit oddly proportioned and thrumpy.

Soldato
Think the nitro is my favourite looking

OTt67iP.jpg

Caporegime
Think the nitro is my favourite looking

OTt67iP.jpg

Yeah that's nice, i like the clean look, i also like the 6000 series XFX MERC, again quite clean but a high quality look, maybe i'm getting old but i don't like cards that look like they have been designed by a comity of 12 year olds each with a fan shroud section to them selves, especially if they are trying to hide the fact that its made from a cheap type of plastic.
I'm also a fan of the Corsair 5000 and 7000 series cases.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia FEs are extremely well built and reliable. Not had to RMA them for any functional fault just coil whine or loose heat sinks.

Also does anyone else think the 2 fan 7800xt mba looks a bit ugly?

Yeah ugly , wouldn't want that vertically mounted and not filling case space

But good for smaller build hidden away

Last edited:
Caporegime
The reference one is not the one i would go for anyway, even the 3 fan ones, for as much as i like the look of those usually 5% over MSRP ones have better cooler performance, not that i'm saying the reference cooler performance is bad, its not, far from it, its decent, AMD have learned that lesson.

Last edited:
Soldato
The reference one is not the one i would go for anyway, even the 3 fan ones, for as much as i like the look of those usually 5% over MSRP ones have better cooler performance, not that i'm saying the reference cooler performance is bad, its not, far from it, its decent, AMD have learned that lesson.
A lot of the time the cooling performance / noise just comes down to how aggressively the default fan curves are set to in the Vbios.

Back
Top Bottom