• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
I had been waiting on the 7800XT to come out to replace my GTX 1070, I will wait on the reviews, but I feel that it will me more of a disappointment than a surprise.
For me the 7800 XT is the most disappointing out of all the 7000 series cards, it's the only card in the line-up to have fewer CU's than the card it's replacing.

At most it should be called a 7800 (non-XT) as it's closer to the 6800's (non-XT) 60 CU count than it is the 6800 XT's 72 CU count. AMD have left a massive gap in their line-up (ignoring the GRE) you have 3 cards separated by $230 and 28 CU's. The price and CU count of the next card in their line-up increases by more than the gap between all the cards under it.

Like you I'm going to wait for reviews but I'm expecting to be disappointed, given the current climate I'm sure some reviewers will say it's great to have this sort of performance for $500 while totally ignoring that you've been able to buy 6000 series cards at that price with that sort of performance or better for sometime now.

AMD really need to release a card that sits between the 7800-7900 XT's.

Associate
For me the 7800 XT is the most disappointing out of all the 7000 series cards, it's the only card in the line-up to have fewer CU's than the card it's replacing.

At most it should be called a 7800 (non-XT) as it's closer to the 6800's (non-XT) 60 CU count than it is the 6800 XT's 72 CU count. AMD have left a massive gap in their line-up (ignoring the GRE) you have 3 cards separated by $230 and 28 CU's. The price and CU count of the next card in their line-up increases by more than the gap between all the cards under it.

Like you I'm going to wait for reviews but I'm expecting to be disappointed, given the current climate I'm sure some reviewers will say it's great to have this sort of performance for $500 while totally ignoring that you've been able to buy 6000 series cards at that price with that sort of performance or better for sometime now.

7800XT should have been 6950XT performance plus. Yeah, I agree the fewer CU's is just BS to me. That sticks in the throat.

Reviews pending, but the 7700XT should have been the 6800XT replacement not the 7800XT.

Associate

AMD had one easy job in just renaming the GRE to 7800XT in the DIY market and everything else following and they managed to fail it hard.

Associate
I had been waiting on the 7800XT to come out to replace my GTX 1070, I will wait on the reviews, but I feel that it will me more of a disappointment than a surprise.

I've decided to wait on Intel's Battlemage next year before I buy anything and though no idea on the performance, I have liked the work Intel have put into there drivers and that they provide updates regularly with increasing performance improvements, and they listeded to the there customers complaints, the overlay being one instance.

If Intel pull off a surprise with Battlemage then it will make an interesting 3 way contest, with AMD and Nvidia.

Yup, I'm liking what I've been hearing about the Battlemage card so far.

I'm building my new PC in November, I think, minus the GPU. I'm going to be soldiering on with my long in the tooth 1080 until April or May next year.

Battlemage is rumoured to be coming out in Q2 next year, so I may hang fire until then until I make my final decision.

I'm trying to decide between a 6950XT, 7800XT, 7900XT or maybe even a 7900XTX. I'm going to have a budget of around £800 or so.

Doesn't matter which one I go for though tbh, whichever one I choose is going to be bottlenecked by the 7800X3D I've decided to go for lol

If the Battlemage is close to the 4070Ti or 4080 in terms of power but at a much cheaper price, I think that I'll go for it. Otherwise I'm probably looking at getting a 7900XT or 7900XTX.

Going back to old cards for a second, the best card I've ever bought was the 2GB version of the 4870 by Powercolor. Twice the VRAM compared to everything else out there at the time, and equal to the VRAM of the next generation cards that came after it. It was fantastic, punched above its weight for quite a while.

Associate

Perhaps they've gone for a new naming convention without telling anyone?

The 7800XT could be the old 6800 equivalent and we'll be seeing a future 7800XTX being the old 6800XT?

Then we'd have a slight generational gap again between the old and new cards.

Soldato

The RX7700XT is apparently not too far behind the RTX4070. Apparently,Nvidia is making further media narratives to counter AMD winning Starfield! Sounds like HL2. Also Nvidia is moving software teams off gaming to data centre.
B38nABT.jpeg

L30V44x.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps they've gone for a new naming convention without telling anyone?
I was thinking about it more yesterday and I'm wondering if maybe both companies have messed up the naming/pricing/performance tiers so much because the mining boom caused them to lose touch with what 'gamers' expect from graphics cards.

It was this interview with Scott Herkelman when he said "The percentage price gap between 7900 XTX / XT and 7800 XT / 7700 XT is roughly the same, though dollar-wise it’s different. $50 is a big deal for people who are looking at 7800 XT / 7700 XT-class of GPUs." that started me thinking about it because while he's not wrong he also seems to have lost touch with reality. Yes the percentages maybe the same but he seems to think $50 is a big deal to someone who's already committed to spending $450 and an extra $400 to buy the the next class of GPU up from there is not a big deal.

He also seems to have inadvertently admitted that the 7800 XT / 7700 XT should be consider the same class of GPUs. He basically holds up the 7900 XTX and compares it to the XT (fair) and then holds up the 7800 XT to compare it with the 7700 XT (seemingly comparing across classes of cards). He's saying the XTX is a faster version of the 7900 XT and that the 7800 XT is a faster version of the 7700 XT.

Last edited:
Caporegime

The RX7700XT is apparently not too far behind the RTX4070. Apparently,Nvidia is making further media narratives to counter AMD winning Starfield! Sounds like HL2.
B38nABT.jpeg

L30V44x.jpeg
According to Google:

RTX 2070 Super: 10968 (155%)
RTX 3070 13945: (122%)
RTX 3080 17583: (97%)

RX 6700XT: 12826 (132%)
RX 6800: 16466 (103%)
RX 6800XT : (87%)

RTX 4060Ti 16GB 13355 (127%)
RTX 4070 17840 (95%)

Nvidia put out the AMD blocking DLSS narrative didn't they? And of course the media "gobbled it up for click bait" Nvidia know the media are as stupid as they are desperate.

Because of that Bethesda are thinking about no longer working with vendors, yeah thanks Nvidia.... you literally ruin everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia put out the AMD blocking DLSS narrative didn't they? And of course the media "gobbled it up for click bait" Nvidia know the media are as stupid as they are desperate.

Its an old trick. People forgot 20 years ago when HL2 came out,you had the same narratives pushed. ATI/Valve were responsible for the poor performance of the Nvidia FX in DX9 mode in HL2.

Apparently Nvidia is moving software teams to data centre too. It might seem far fetched until you look at the whole Ada Lovelace launch - Nvidia is all in on AI now and will do the minimum it can get away with. They probably believe their brand strength is strong enough now. Ultimately AMD really needs to look at this a chance,but whether they will is another question! :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its an old trick. People forgot 20 years ago when HL2 came out,you had the same narratives pushed. ATI/Valve were responsible for the poor performance of the Nvidia FX in DX9 mode in HL2.

What gets me about that is the media know Nvidia thinks they are idiots and yet still they fall for it every time, and they don't just go for it, they fall in to that rabbit hole proper deep and aggressive, look how aggressive they were with that narrative, and it was all complete BS.
Now Bethesda feel like they are caught between two warring sides and want nothing to do with either of them anymore, AMD put a lot of work in to making SF a better game than it otherwise would have been, IMO.
This is why we can't have nice things, because Nvidia can't stand to lose in any way shape or form, to the point where they are sociopathic narcissists.

As a company i can't stand Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
What gets me about that is the media know Nvidia thinks they are idiots and yet still they fall for it every time, and they don't just go for it, the fall in to that rabbit hole proper deep and aggressive, look how aggressive they were with that narrative, and it was all complete BS.
Now Bethesda feel like they are caught between two warring sides and want nothing to do with either of them anymore, AMD put a lot of work in to making SF a better game that it otherwise would have been, IMO.
This is why we can't have nice things, because Nvidia can't stand to lose in any way shape or form, to the point where they are sociopathic narcissists.

As a company i can't stand Nvidia.

AMD is a smaller company than Nvidia with less funds. AMD is much smaller than Microsoft who own Bethesda Games Studio. So are people telling me,that AMD has any sort of sway to do things to Nvidia and force Microsoft to do the same? It was always more likely to be Bethesda Games Studio not bothering and Nvidia not bothering to spend money on more games sponsorships either. It was the same with Valve and HL2.

Not that it worked,because just like with HL2,most people buying the game were not going to look on tech social media. It was the same with Hogwarts Legacy - most people buying it were not going to read Reddit/Twitter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD is a smaller company than Nvidia with less funds. AMD is much smaller than Microsoft who own Bethesda Games Studio. So are people telling me,that AMD has any sort of sway to do things to Nvidia and force Microsoft to do the same? It was always more likely to be Bethesda Games Studio not bothering and Nvidia not bothering to spend money on more games sponsorships either. It was the same with Valve and HL2.

Nvidia don't do draw call API or if you like CPU optimisation code, especially for MT in games, that is an AMD speciality, They built Vulkan which is a far better API than DX12, especially for MT code.
Nvidia can't even get that right in their own GPU architecture. at least not compared to AMD.

This is exactly the sort of talent Bethesda needed, You know that, and Microsoft need it too to get it most optimal for the XBox.

Spoiler alert AMD optimised the code for Star Citizen too.

Last edited:
Soldato

Apparently Nvidia is moving software teams to data centre too. It might seem far fetched until you look at the whole Ada Lovelace launch - Nvidia is all in on AI now and will do the minimum it can get away with. They probably believe their brand strength is strong enough now. Ultimately AMD really needs to look at this a chance,but whether they will is another question! :(

Quite a few market experts are predicting the AI bubble will burst. MS ploughed 10 billion in to AI and got little return of investment. Google and many others are starting to see AI as overhyped as well.

Back
Top Bottom