• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
Hate is a bit strong but i do think they'll point out that the 7800 XT is not a successor to the 6800 XT or at least they should IMO, at most it's the successor to the 6800.

I hope at least some reviewer points out how not just AMD, as they're both at it, are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, yet again, with all this shifting around of names, prices and performance. Shifting things around may fool people who only take a cursory glance but it doesn't fool anyone who takes the time to look at previous generation prices & specs.
Yes the 7800XT looks more of a base 6800 analogue at best. The 6800XT equivalent should at least be the 7900GRE, but then there are likely not enough failed 7900s to provide the required quantity. Saying that we all know the real 7800XT was rebadged as the 7900XT. I really would like to upgrade my Vega but £700+ for a midrange GPU is hard to stomach. Maybe realworld benchmarks for the 7800XT will be pleasantly unexpected ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 7900 GRE is a fatter GPU but also from salvaged stock and clocked 30% lower than usual RDNA3 levels, its a flat 2Ghz, i think they are recovered chips from RMA'd Navi 31 cards, its why they are OEM only in the west. that means there is also a very limited stock of them.

I think we might find with its proper RDNA3 clocks the 7800XT will put up a much better fight against it than a lot of people seem to be expecting.

Last edited:
Associate
The 7900 GRE is a fatter GPU but also from salvaged stock and clocked 30% lower than usual RDNA3 levels, its a flat 2Ghz, i think they are recovered chips from RMA'd Navi 31 cards, its why they are OEM only in the west.

I think we might find with its proper RDNA3 clocks the 7800XT will put up a much better fight against it than a lot of people seem to be expecting.
Trying to be as open minded as possible as I need to move on from an 8GB card, otherwise it is a lengthy wait for next gen :D Hopefully the leaked synthetic benchmark was not reflective of the real world performance or down to early drivers. Anyway not too long to wait now. Hopefully there will also be 3 year warranties with the 7800XT as that stopped me buying a 6800 card.

Caporegime
Trying to be as open minded as possible as I need to move on from an 8GB card, otherwise it is a lengthy wait for next gen :D Hopefully the leaked synthetic benchmark was not reflective of the real world performance or down to early drivers. Anyway not too long to wait now. Hopefully there will also be 3 year warranties with the 7800XT as that stopped me buying a 6800 card.

+1

@Gibbo recently made a post about supporting a 3 year warranty on Sapphire cards through OCUK, can't remember if that was exclusively Sapphire.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes that's a negative to the Powercolor cards but to be fair I've never had an issue with one. A three year warranty would be nice though.

If i'm buying AMD its going to be either XFX, Powercolour and 'most probably' Sapphire.

As someone else on here rightly pointed out, (sorry i can't remember you to credit you with it) AMD's exclusive partners design their cooler specifically for AMD cards where as Asus ecte.... just bolt a modified Nvidia cooler on them, if they even bother to modify them, Asus have been know to put coolers on AMD cards that don't actually fit properly resulting in heat problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Navi 31's 300mm² is pretty small and should have excellent yields.
Therefore if AMD are relying on defect chips for 7900 GRE they won't have many. But these days most cut down dies are just disabled mostly for segmentation reasons. I'd say 7900 GRE is mostly AMD swallowing their pride and being willing to use Navi 31 at a lesser price point.

Of course, if the bean counters had let Navi 32 max out at, say, 72 CUs they wouldn't have had to offer such a heavily cut-down Navi 31 in the first place!

Soldato
MLID is on the milk again

He's trying to spin "fsr3 will launch with Starfield I gaurantee it" into "AMD doesn't need Starfield anyway"

G J

G J

Associate

He's trying to spin "fsr3 will launch with Starfield I gaurantee it" into "AMD doesn't need Starfield anyway"
This, also I like the comments about the tech press while on the other hand people keep posting this dudes videos believing everything he says.

Soldato

This, also I like the comments about the tech press while on the other hand people keep posting this dudes videos believing everything he says.

I can't believe people still watch this kind of rubbish.

Funny how some people on here jumped on the WCCFTech article saying AMD 100% blocked DLSS in ALL games,then ignored all the games which didn't have FSR or ship with only FSR1(when FSR2 existed). Then started making new threads about it when everyone jumped on the bandwagon. WCCFTech is worse than MLID.

Then AMD says they didn't block anything a few days ago and you still believe all the tech press who had zero evidence,zero documents,etc to prove anything. But when Nvidia says they don't block anything people believe it 100% fine,despite their own history of doing stuff. People even quoted numbers themselves,and lots of information - but no people clutched their pearls(and kept quoting the WCCFTech article and the HUB video) like Gospel Truth.

Because AMD has the power to force Microsoft to do things or block Nvidia - if they had so much sway they should have bribed CDPR to cut down on RT in Cyberpunk 2077!They can't even get their CPUs to do best in Starfield! :cry:

The issue is some of us have been around in this area for decades. HL2 was the same nonsense when Nvidia lost a big sponsorship 20 years ago. Then the fallout about Rollo,etc was hilarious to watch after that.

Yet,when he points out that Nvidia might try something else,now suddenly its all rubbish. If he said this was AMD trying to spin negative PR about Nvidia,I expect people would be making a new thread about it. Just like HUB are AMD shills one day because they make a video talking about VRAM or something,but the moment they make a negative AMD article suddenly they are a 100% trusted source.

:cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime

MLID does have some genuinely interesting and important in their respective industries guests on.

So i do believe he has genuine industry insiders to draw on, however that is not due to so much to any sort of credibility he has, quite a lot of the time AMD, Intel, Nvidia use people like him to gauge public reaction, its market research, not "leaking" its just made to look like secrete insider knowledge quite often by the company themselves, Jenson and Lisa know what "sercrats" are going out to people like him before they do....

On MLID specifically, notice how vacuous he quite often is with his performance predictions? "oh 10 to 30%" well yes my dog can make prediction like that and guarantee to be right.
The ARC A770 predictions were a classic, in the same 2 hour rambling video he predicted 3060, 3060Ti, 3070, 3070Ti and 3080 performance...... he didn't have a clue, of course he clipped out the one that ended up being right, one of them had to be, and claimed his being correct with it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Funny how some of you jumped on the WCCFTech article saying AMD 100% blocked DLSS in ALL games,then ignored all the games which didn't have FSR or ship with only FSR1(when FSR2 existed). Then started making new threads about it.

Then AMD says they didn't block anything a few days ago and you still believe all the tech press who had zero evidence,zero documents,etc to prove anything. But when Nvidia says they don't block anything you believe it 100% fine,despite their own history of doing stuff.

The issue is some of us have been around in this area for decades. HL2 was the same nonsense when Nvidia lost a big sponsorship 20 years ago. Then the fallout about Rollo,etc was hilarious to watch after that.

Yet,when he points out that Nvidia might try something else,now suddenly its all rubbish. If he said this was AMD trying to spin negative PR about Nvidia,I expect you would be making a new thread about it. Just like HUB are AMD shills one day because they make a video talking about VRAM or something,but the moment they make a negative AMD article suddenly they are a 100% trusted source.

:cry:

I wanted that to be true, but it wasn't....

I think these tech jurnoes have what they think of as "nice friends" inside Nvidia, in reality what these people are to Nvidia, and i called them exactly this at the time, you might remember..... they are useful idiots to Nvidia.

Associate
MLID does have some genuinely interesting and important in their respective industries guests on.

So i do believe he has genuine industry insiders to draw on, however that is not due to so much to any sort of credibility he has, quite a lot of the time AMD, Intel, Nvidia use people like him to gauge public reaction, its market research, not "leaking" its just made to look like secrete insider knowledge quite often by the company themselves, Jenson and Lisa know what "sercrats" are going out to people like him before they do....

On MLID specifically, notice how vacuous he quite often is with his performance predictions? "oh 10 to 30%" well yes my dog can make prediction like that and guarantee to be right.
The ARC A770 predictions were a classic, in the same 2 hour rambling video he predicted 3060, 3060Ti, 3070, 3070Ti and 3080 performance...... he didn't have a clue, of course he clipped out the one that ended up being right, one of them had to be, and claimed his being correct with it.
It's not just tech it's social media "experts" in every field, you have ITKs in football who tweet every transfer combination possible, so they can claim insider knowledge after the fact for example.

these people are what they are, news and speculation just doesn't give them the status they crave.

Soldato
Or maybe with the tech press comment: it takes one to know one?

Actually it would be of great interest to know what and how exactly the tech press gets played by corporation's PR departments - all the while pretending to be on the consumer's side - but if anyone who was influential enough to get honoured with the PR departments full might (or maybe hammered is the better word than honoured) we to go fully public they'd never get any insider info again.

Tech press: tow the corporations' lines or get ostracized.

Soldato

Also the reality is that pricing and tiers are usually only decided at the last minute. I remember AdoredTV got the chiplets leak for Zen2 right,and the technical aspects of the chiplets also right.

But totally messed up in the tiers and pricing and he got a huge amount of flak about it and responded badly to it. But what we don't know is if that was the original plan,but AMD realised they could charge more at the last minute. Looking back that sounds totally like something they would do.

Just because the engineers want to do something,the accountants might think differently. Hence why the RX7900XT was called that,and the RX7800XT isn't an RX7800 or RX7700XT.

What am I watching

An optimisation guide for Starfield.

Thank you! Will be looking at that definitely when the game unlocks for me next week.

Don't know whether to wait for 7800xtz I'm guessing around 500ish or plump for a 6800 for 370. Hmmm.

That XFX RX6800 deal is amazing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom