• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Quite a few market experts are predicting the AI bubble will burst. MS ploughed 10 billion in to AI and got little return of investment. Google and many others are starting to see AI as overhyped as well.

No doubt Nvidia will make a decent return,and the current AI boom in hardware sales is very China focused. The last two US governments have put increasingly tough tech restrictions on China,so Chinese companies are going on a massive spending spree to stock up on hardware before it is permanantly banned. Now secondary countries are getting tech restrictions because of this:

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m more looking at AI in general. A lot of investments and hype but little returns seems to be the underlying conclusions.

MS spent 10 billion adding the latest super duper AI to Bing and it still sucks. It still has 3% share of the search engine “market”.

Caporegime
I was thinking about it more yesterday and I'm wondering if maybe both companies have messed up the naming/pricing/performance tiers so much because the mining boom caused them to lose touch with what 'gamers' expect from graphics cards.

It was this interview with Scott Herkelman when he said "The percentage price gap between 7900 XTX / XT and 7800 XT / 7700 XT is roughly the same, though dollar-wise it’s different. $50 is a big deal for people who are looking at 7800 XT / 7700 XT-class of GPUs." that started me thinking about it because while he's not wrong he also seems to have lost touch with reality. Yes the percentages maybe the same but he seems to think $50 is a big deal to someone who's already committed to spending $450 and an extra $400 to buy the the next class of GPU up from there is not a big deal.

He also seems to have inadvertently admitted that the 7800 XT / 7700 XT should be consider the same class of GPUs. He basically holds up the 7900 XTX and compares it to the XT (fair) and then holds up the 7800 XT to compare it with the 7700 XT (seemingly comparing across classes of cards). He's saying the XTX is a faster version of the 7900 XT and that the 7800 XT is a faster version of the 7700 XT.

That's me, covid put an end to a cushy job i had in IT, i'm ok but have other commitments, not just that my mother is ageing and getting quite ill, i have to be more mindful about how much i splurge on my hobby now and for the sake £50 if the £430 GPU is just what i'll looking for £480 just looks like something i don't need.

Reviewers will hate it just because the 7800XT is only £50 more, but they will ignore the fact that its close enough to the £600 4070 to make it an incredible deal, its ignorance brought about through their own privileges.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite a few market experts are predicting the AI bubble will burst. MS ploughed 10 billion in to AI and got little return of investment. Google and many others are starting to see AI as overhyped as well.
I guess one thing there is Google are going their own AI chips. Like I've said before the patent-wall and others barriers in AI aren't that big, so big spenders can roll their own. With Nvidia's huge margins there is plenty of incentives to bypass them.
Dedicated fixed-function ASICs rather than generic multi-purpose GPUs are bound to be better at both training and inference. And sanctions are going to lead the likes of Baidu down that route. Probably even using only 14nm SIMC wafers, dedicated ASICs might be competitive.

Soldato
That's me, covid put an end to a cushy job i had in IT, i'm ok but have other commitments, not just that my mother is ageing and getting quite ill, i have to be more mindful about how much i splurge on my hobby now and for the sake £50 if the £430 GPU is just what i'll looking for £480 just looks like something i don't need.

Reviewers will hate it just because the 7800XT is only £50 more, but they will ignore the fact that its close enough to the £600 4070 to make it an incredible deal, its ignorance brought about through their own privileges.
I think a lot of it is actually wilful. They need taking points, drama etc for the engagement to feed the algorithm. If there's not much to say they have to look deeper and split hairs to find something that might attract attention. Even in the tech world it's hard to find enough that interests a wide audience several times a week.

Caporegime
I think a lot of it is actually wilful. They need taking points, drama etc for the engagement to feed the algorithm. If there's not much to say they have to look deeper and split hairs to find something that might attract attention. Even in the tech world it's hard to find enough that interests a wide audience several times a week.

I know, and its making things worse for us, not better.

Soldato
Its an old trick. People forgot 20 years ago when HL2 came out,you had the same narratives pushed. ATI/Valve were responsible for the poor performance of the Nvidia FX in DX9 mode in HL2.

Apparently Nvidia is moving software teams to data centre too. It might seem far fetched until you look at the whole Ada Lovelace launch - Nvidia is all in on AI now and will do the minimum it can get away with. They probably believe their brand strength is strong enough now. Ultimately AMD really needs to look at this a chance,but whether they will is another question! :(
The tech media are a lazy bunch who want everything including the latest outrages to be spoon-fed to them, aren't they?

Those end users who got all outraged that despite buying expensive Nvidia cards, not all games support the latest proprietary Nvidia technology: what would they say if they found out what Nvidia thinks of gamers and how they take the whales for granted?

Last edited:
Soldato
The tech media are a lazy bunch who want everything including the latest outrages to be spoon-fed to them, aren't they?

Those end users who got all outraged that despite buying expensive Nvidia cards, not all games super the latest proprietary Nvidia technology: what would they say if they found out what Nvidia thinks of gamers and how they take the whales for granted?

If people actually believe AMD is intentionally sabotaging Nvidia performance in Starfield then words fail me honestly.If that is the case BOTH companies have been sabotaging performance in games for decades.Wonder if WCCFTech or HUB Tim will break another "exclusive"?! They might need to make dozens of videos each year now!:o

Last edited:
Soldato
If people actually believe AMD is intentionally sabotaging Nvidia performance in Starfield then words fail me honestly.Wonder if WCCFTech or HUB Tim will break another "exclusive"?! They might need to make dozens of videos each year now!:o

Maybe or maybe not none of us know

Isn't like pretty much any sponsored game for either company always runs better ? Like when AMD show it's benchmark charts and the games that it does well in for RT are AMD sponsored?

Last edited:
Caporegime
If people actually believe AMD is intentionally sabotaging Nvidia performance in Starfield then words fail me honestly. If that is the case BOTH companies have been sabotaging performance in games for decades.

But reactively rather than proactively and you can't put them in the same league, Nvidia have the means to spend 10X more money for that and are far more sociopathic about it.

To me, and say about me what you like about my opinion here..... AMD are far more about trying to make things better than using game sponsorship to strew over your competitor.
Intel and AMD are by very far and a long way beyond Nvidia in their contributions to open source, you don't put resources in to that and have purely devious intentions.

Last edited:
Associate
To me, and say about me what you like about my opinion here..... AMD are far more about trying to make things better than using game sponsorship to strew over your competitor.
Intel and AMD are by very far and a long way beyond Nvidia in their contributions to open source, you don't put resources in to that and have purely devious intentions.
I don't understand how anyone can even suggest AMD are trying to screw Nvidia over, as you're right, they're trying much more to improve the landscape without locking things down to just them, e.g. FSR being for more than just AMD. The trouble is, raw hardware performance wins wars and AMD don't look like they've been cutting it against Nvidia so people fanboy

Soldato

Hate is a bit strong but i do think they'll point out that the 7800 XT is not a successor to the 6800 XT or at least they should IMO, at most it's the successor to the 6800.

I hope at least some reviewer points out how not just AMD, as they're both at it, are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, yet again, with all this shifting around of names, prices and performance. Shifting things around may fool people who only take a cursory glance but it doesn't fool anyone who takes the time to look at previous generation prices & specs.

Caporegime
Hate is a bit strong but i do think they'll point out that the 7800 XT is not a successor to the 6800 XT or at least they should IMO, at most it's the successor to the 6800.

I hope at least some reviewer points out how not just AMD, as they're both at it, are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, yet again, with all this shifting around of names, prices and performance. Shifting things around may fool people who only take a cursory glance but it doesn't fool anyone who takes the time to look at previous generation prices & specs.

I agree, i think the 7700XT at 30% faster than the 6700XT is properly named, the 7800XT should be named the 7800 none XT, AMD did that to up sell it, yes, but how cynical is that given its $80 cheaper than the MSRP of the 6800?

I think if tech jurnoes were to be critical of its name, that's fair enough, but if they do it while also ignoring its price? To me there just being #### holes, the price is good, so good in fact its exactly what we wanted it to be in terms of price to performance, 10% better than the 6800XT while also at 77% of its original MSRP.

Both the 7700XT and 7800XT have broken that trend we all hate in this generation. Good job!

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

The RX7700XT is apparently not too far behind the RTX4070. Apparently,Nvidia is making further media narratives to counter AMD winning Starfield! Sounds like HL2. Also Nvidia is moving software teams off gaming to data centre.

The timestamp 10:50 interesting about the bs tactics being spun eh!?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom