• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
5700XT that I bought in 2020 for £365

The 6800 is significantly faster than my outgoing card and has double the VRAM, that's enough for me.
The issue is by buying 3 year old tech you are getting 3 years less driver support and life out of the product from AMD. That £80-100 saving over a 7800XT is not really a saving if you have to upgrade again when support is dropped (think Fury).

Last edited:
Caporegime
The issue is by buying 3 year old tech you are getting 3 years less driver support and life out of the product from AMD. That £80-100 saving over a 7800XT is not really a saving if you have to upgrade again when support is dropped (think Fury).

There is that.... not easy decisions.

Last edited:
Associate
Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and upgrade from my 980Ti to a 6800XT for £445 or sit on my hands and wait

I'd wait, the 7800XT has replaced the 6800XT, and you're likely to get better performance over time, as AMD cards age really well, plus longer driver support, with better efficiency. See what the benchmarks are, compare the prices.

The 6800XT is a great card so you wouldn't be "wrong" to buy that either.

Associate
If we are going back to this argument 4080 must have been a 4070 and priced £500 and amd still back on medium range segment :)
performance wise the 4080 is very strong. Jumps the 3080ti, 3090, and 3090ti with like 20% headroom. The card is great. Unlike say, the 4060ti which jumps nothing.

The prices suck though, obviously

Associate

Alternatively you get a mature product and AMD cards usually have some decent performance gains a couple of years after release. With the consoles being based on RDNA2 we are unlikely to see support dropped for the foreseeable.

I'm a simple man, I have no need for the latest and greatest. All I wanted was more performance and 16 GB of VRAM for a reasonable price. The 6800 has ticked every box for me and I don't think we'll see a 7800XT or 6800XT hit £370 any time soon.

Caporegime
Alternatively you get a mature product and AMD cards usually have some decent performance gains a couple of years after release. With the consoles being based on RDNA2 we are unlikely to see support dropped for the foreseeable.

I'm a simple man, I have no need for the latest and greatest. All I wanted was more performance and 16 GB of VRAM for a reasonable price. The 6800 has ticked every box for me and I don't think we'll see a 7800XT or 6800XT hit £370 any time soon.

And who can argue with that.... :)

Cracking card for a cracking price...

Last edited:
Associate

Yes. My 6800 is now 2.5 years old and I don't think it will be switched out for another year at least. The 16gb ram really was an astute config as far as I am concerned. I may switch to an end of line 7900xt if they end up going for 400 ish but just as likely to wait for RDNA 4 despite it being midrange only.

Soldato

This is an inaccurate assessment. AMD are not going to drop support for RDNA 2 any time soon and when they do these GPUs will be giving barely acceptable performance anyway.

I would hold off until 7800 reviews show performance in raster and RT. If the 7800 has ~5% better raster and 15% better RT, it would be a better purchase at similar prices.

Associate
This is an inaccurate assessment. AMD are not going to drop support for RDNA 2 any time soon and when they do these GPUs will be giving barely acceptable performance anyway.

I would hold off until 7800 reviews show performance in raster and RT. If the 7800 has ~5% better raster and 15% better RT, it would be a better purchase at similar prices.
I did forget that for support to drop it’s usually 7-8 years which will mean performance from the card will be poo by then.

Thanks for correcting me when I’ve gone off on one!

@jimferno enjoy your gaming! Good choice given the above.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Funny how some people on here jumped on the WCCFTech article saying AMD 100% blocked DLSS in ALL games,then ignored all the games which didn't have FSR or ship with only FSR1(when FSR2 existed). Then started making new threads about it when everyone jumped on the bandwagon. WCCFTech is worse than MLID.
You're confusing me with others regarding blocking of DLSS I've always maintained that implementing all of companies upscalers was the best way and the only thing I was not in 100% agreement was the people who was saying but muh game dev is too hard esp now when the DLSS patch for Starfield came out within hours of the games release. People pay £70 for these games and thats not including the DLC, Battlepass, MTX etc
Then AMD says they didn't block anything a few days ago and you still believe all the tech press who had zero evidence,zero documents,etc to prove anything. But when Nvidia says they don't block anything people believe it 100% fine,despite their own history of doing stuff. People even quoted numbers themselves,and lots of information - but no people clutched their pearls(and kept quoting the WCCFTech article and the HUB video) like Gospel Truth.

Because AMD has the power to force Microsoft to do things or block Nvidia - if they had so much sway they should have bribed CDPR to cut down on RT in Cyberpunk 2077!They can't even get their CPUs to do best in Starfield! :cry:
Again confusing me with others but AMD could have shut this down like Nvidia did by saying they dont block anything which may be the reason why people believed them at least they said something but as you said AMD waited until a few days ago to make a statement after all the negative press about it and the damage was done. AMD's rabid fanbase where happy to add fuel to the fire by being happy of AMD blocking DLSS.
The issue is some of us have been around in this area for decades. HL2 was the same nonsense when Nvidia lost a big sponsorship 20 years ago. Then the fallout about Rollo,etc was hilarious to watch after that.

Yet,when he points out that Nvidia might try something else,now suddenly its all rubbish. If he said this was AMD trying to spin negative PR about Nvidia,I expect people would be making a new thread about it. Just like HUB are AMD shills one day because they make a video talking about VRAM or something,but the moment they make a negative AMD article suddenly they are a 100% trusted source.

:cry:
I'm not fully up to date on all the ongoing of who's or what company has done what over the years am I'm not even sure how much of it is true esp when people's bias get thrown into it. Since this post people are still posting his vids and parts of what he references have zero evidence and documentation yet when the DLSS blocking thing happens now some people care about facts and evidence. This is what my tech press comment was referering to dont complain about the tech press but then happy to post their bs when it suits.

Caporegime
Again confusing me with others but AMD could have shut this down like Nvidia did by saying they dont block anything which may be the reason why people believed them at least they said something but as you said AMD waited until a few days ago to make a statement after all the negative press about it and the damage was done. AMD's rabid fanbase where happy to add fuel to the fire by being happy of AMD blocking DLSS.

AMD Ignored all the people making click bait content out of it before eventually saying simply "nope Nvidia are free to add DLSS"
denying these useful idiots oxygen by not giving in to their "demands" for an explanation and letting it boil off before giving the response to one of the few not making a huge issue out of something that was complete BS actually seeded by Nvidia themselves was exactly the right thing to do.

The best thing to do in the future with crap like this is to treat them like spoilt children and ignore them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom