• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
The 4090 is the only GPU that has generated excitement and you can see it in the tone of reviewers voices at the time, everything else wah meh, just another day in the job
The 4090 is an absolute monster card. 3x the transistors of the previous generations halo tier.

IMO the £1500 pricetag is totally acceptable for a product up near the reticle limit of an expensive 5nm node.

Soldato
The 4090 is an absolute monster card. 3x the transistors of the previous generations halo tier.

IMO the £1500 pricetag is totally acceptable for a product up near the reticle limit of an expensive 5nm node.
I'm fine with halo cards costing a premium, it's the using it to raise the base price up so high that's not good. If they (I include AMD) really wanted to grow gaming, make a decent level of GPU power available to the masses and make up the money with volume sales. The truth is there is more money in markets other than gaming. If you're a kid these days it's a very expensive hobby.

I'm fine with halo cards costing a premium, it's the using it to raise the base price up so high that's not good. If they (I include AMD) really wanted to grow gaming, make a decent level of GPU power available to the masses and make up the money with volume sales. The truth is there is more money in markets other than gaming. If you're a kid these days it's a very expensive hobby.
I said years ago this was the entire reason for the Titan cards.
Their purpose was to increase the price of the lower tiers.

Soldato
I said years ago this was the entire reason for the Titan cards.
Their purpose was to increase the price of the lower tiers.

Many of us did or agreed at the time yet you had people buying four of them for Sli. Some people just have no common sense or think in the moment instead of thinking about what there actions will lead too.

Last edited:
Soldato
THIS! The price of anything is never just the pure materials cost + a bit of profit. It's taken how many decades and 10's of billions of R&D to reach where they are now.
True however R&D is an iterative process, there will be loads of things in a new product that were developed decades ago and there will also be newly developed things that will go into future products.

You can't, or at least shouldn't, include R&D in a products cost as it's an operating expense. Much like how you wouldn't include marketing, payroll, and other things you have to pay for just to run the company.

Last edited:
Associate
True however R&D is an iterative process, there will be loads of things in a new product that were developed decades ago and there will also be newly developed things that will go into future products.

You can't, or at least shouldn't, include R&D in a products cost as it's an operating expense. Much like how you wouldn't include marketing, payroll, and other things you have to pay for just to run the company.
Then how do they cover the cost of R&D, marketing, and payroll, if not from the cost of their products they sell ?

Where do you think the money comes from to pay operating expenses?

Last edited:
Associate

That's an extremely simplistic view to not include operating costs. They simply have to be a factor as it's not only the material cost in making a product that dictates it's price.

Granted the prices of GPU's could be cheaper but they are a business so it's upto them how much they price it based on supply and demand.

Soldato
Then how do they cover the cost of R&D, marketing, and payroll, if not from the cost of their products they sell ?

Where do you think the money comes from to pay operating expenses?
It seems you misinterpreted what i said, i did not say operating expenses are not included in the product consumers buy, i said "You can't, or at least shouldn't, include R&D in a products cost". As in what it costs to produce said product.

Operating expenses are paid for out of your overall revenue, they come from adding X% to what it cost you to make the product.
That's an extremely simplistic view to not include operating costs. They simply have to be a factor as it's not only the material cost in making a product that dictates it's price.

Granted the prices of GPU's could be cheaper but they are a business so it's upto them how much they price it based on supply and demand.
It's not my view, it's the generally accepted view of accountants. The only thing that dictates the price is the cost in making the product, operating expenses are added onto that cost after you factor in what it cost you to make said product.

If it costs you £100 to make something you don't say it's cost you £150 because operating expenses, you say it cost you £100 to make something and you need to sell that to customers for £100 + X% to cover operating expenses.

Associate
Foolishly checked out the Starfield thread, and there I was convincing myself I might wait a bit to play it! Hah!

Regardless of this GPU upgrade I desperately require, I'm now also concerned with my CPU. Not sure how well the 3600X is going to cut it. Thinking of a sneaky upgrade to a 5700x/5800x, although I'm not sure if that's a big enough upgrade to make a difference. I guess I'll sort the GPU first and see if it struggles.

Associate
Foolishly checked out the Starfield thread, and there I was convincing myself I might wait a bit to play it! Hah!

Regardless of this GPU upgrade I desperately require, I'm now also concerned with my CPU. Not sure how well the 3600X is going to cut it. Thinking of a sneaky upgrade to a 5700x/5800x, although I'm not sure if that's a big enough upgrade to make a difference. I guess I'll sort the GPU first and see if it struggles.
I was looking at the increase in performance modern CPUs have over my i9 9900 the other day and it was pretty eye opening. I'm sticking with it for now and maybe getting a 7800XT if the prices are reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom