• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Development costs are spread across all products as they all share the same architecture and this includes the lucrative data centre which just brought in around 10billion in 3 months

Nvidia net margin is currently up at 31%, from 16% at end of 2022.

Take the £1500 4090, knock of £300 for VAT and another £100 for distribution costs / retail margin.

31% of £1100 is £341 or 23% of the total selling price. That a big assumption on flat profit, when likely they make more % profit in AI and commercial and less in retail so likely less than 20% profit per card.

Using gross profit is ok and an indication of an items commercial viability but unless you add all the other cost for a business, it's meaningless.

They still have to pay to clean the floors, update drivers, AI time for DLSS for the next 10 years......

Yes GPU's could be less expensive, but not as much as people think.

Soldato
At this point I would go with the 6950XT. It is much faster than the 6800XT, and IMO will last a lot longer.

I hold a little hope for the actual review benchmarks, but even if it is what I am seeing then it will be a case of waiting for the 6000 series to sell out, and then the price drops will happen (which was sort of confirmed in an interview. Scott said that basically once the 6000 was gone (sorta kinda, in a round about way) that the AIBs would have freedom to basically price the 7700XT as they wanted). And I expect the 7800XT will follow, but not until they have sold out of 6800XT and so on.

Remember, AMD's place in the market is tiny. As such they still have a whole F load of the 6000 cards they over produced during the mining and C-vid boom. And they don't sell like Nvidia do, hence why they still have lots and have dragged their heels on these cards. If these were much better than the last gen? no one would buy the last gen unless they were ridiculously cheap. So, kinda like Nvidia they are competing with themselves and their last gen until they are gone. Which means? they are going to be over priced, to make the last gen look better (typical sales technique).

Talking of which. I used to work for a marketing company. We sold some herbal BS. I did some covert work one night and slipped into the owner's office. Actual cost to produce? 60 cents. Sale price? $59.90. As has been said, there is a lot of money in R&D, testing and production. What was left out though? marketing. That costs a fortune as well.
Why not the 7900xt which is faster and the same price on here as the 6950xt. I am assuming you can bag a 6950xt much cheaper else where.

Associate
At this point I would go with the 6950XT. It is much faster than the 6800XT, and IMO will last a lot longer.

I hold a little hope for the actual review benchmarks, but even if it is what I am seeing then it will be a case of waiting for the 6000 series to sell out, and then the price drops will happen (which was sort of confirmed in an interview. Scott said that basically once the 6000 was gone (sorta kinda, in a round about way) that the AIBs would have freedom to basically price the 7700XT as they wanted). And I expect the 7800XT will follow, but not until they have sold out of 6800XT and so on.

Remember, AMD's place in the market is tiny. As such they still have a whole F load of the 6000 cards they over produced during the mining and C-vid boom. And they don't sell like Nvidia do, hence why they still have lots and have dragged their heels on these cards. If these were much better than the last gen? no one would buy the last gen unless they were ridiculously cheap. So, kinda like Nvidia they are competing with themselves and their last gen until they are gone. Which means? they are going to be over priced, to make the last gen look better (typical sales technique).

Talking of which. I used to work for a marketing company. We sold some herbal BS. I did some covert work one night and slipped into the owner's office. Actual cost to produce? 60 cents. Sale price? $59.90. As has been said, there is a lot of money in R&D, testing and production. What was left out though? marketing. That costs a fortune as well.

I suspect you're correct its the sensible choice. Although power draw is one of my priorities and it just feels odd buying a last gen card that's already over a year old. But that's probably just my OCD messing my head up over this!

Soldato
Yes GPU's could be less expensive, but not as much as people think.
Depends what people think, I've said it before but personally i think nearly all graphics cards are 20-30% overpriced.

You only have to look at the historic profit trends for both companies to know they're making more profit now than has historically been the case. (IIRC they used to make something like 20-30% profit now it's in the 50-60% range)

Associate
Why not the 7900xt which is faster and the same price on here as the 6950xt. I am assuming you can bag a 6950xt much cheaper else where.

The 7900XT is not off the table either, for me anyway. But the power draw is a concern, I really don't want to replace my power supply until I rebuild my rig on AM5 probably next year. I could power limit it of course. Its also a chunk more than I wanted to pay (<£500), but I wont lie I almost pulled the trigger when the £699 deals were on a few weeks ago.

Soldato
If the 7900XT cost the same as the 6950XT then of course it makes no sense to settle for an RDNA2 card. However, when I bought my 6950XT a few months ago the cheapest 7900XT was several hundred pounds(around 2000DKK or 230-250£ converted as I live in Denmark) more expensive than the 6950XT that was on sale for like half of the price it would cost just a year ago at that difference RDNA3 made no sense. Now though the 6950XT seems to have gone up again around 120£ for the cheapest and the 7900XT has gone down as well.

Soldato
Depends what people think, I've said it before but personally i think nearly all graphics cards are 20-30% overpriced.

You only have to look at the historic profit trends for both companies to know they're making more profit now than has historically been the case. (IIRC they used to make something like 20-30% profit now it's in the 50-60% range)

The 31% was for Q2 2023, can't get much more recent

Associate
Development costs are spread across all products as they all share the same architecture and this includes the lucrative data centre which just brought in around 10billion in 3 months
I 100% agree with this. They will develop IP libraries that are shared across their architecture.

The costs of the physical layout & masks for a 4090 sized die are scarily high :(

Soldato
The 7900XT is not off the table either, for me anyway. But the power draw is a concern, I really don't want to replace my power supply until I rebuild my rig on AM5 probably next year. I could power limit it of course. Its also a chunk more than I wanted to pay (<£500), but I wont lie I almost pulled the trigger when the £699 deals were on a few weeks ago.
Downclock it slightly and you will see the powerdraw tank. You don't even have to be aggressive about it to get some impressive reductions in power draw. AMD has always, for as long as I can remember, been pushing their GPUs way past their efficiency curve sweet spot. You might loose 2-5% raw performance but you save anywhere from 30 to a 80 watts depending on the GPU and how low you downclock. I've done it to my 6950XT and my 6700XT before that. I reduced the 6700XT to a 150 watt load during peak load and only lost 2-3% and my current 6950XT I've dropped a bit further and lost around 8-10% performance but that now draws 210 watts maximum down from 330+.

Associate
Downclock it slightly and you will see the powerdraw tank. You don't even have to be aggressive about it to get some impressive reductions in power draw. AMD has always, for as long as I can remember, been pushing their GPUs way past their efficiency curve sweet spot. You might loose 2-5% raw performance but you save anywhere from 30 to a 80 watts depending on the GPU and how low you downclock. I've done it to my 6950XT and my 6700XT before that. I reduced the 6700XT to a 150 watt load during peak load and only lost 2-3% and my current 6950XT I've dropped a bit further and lost around 8-10% performance but that now draws 210 watts maximum down from 330+.

Really interesting to see those numbers thanks. Its defo on the list as an option.

Soldato

I am sharing net profit, how much they actually make after they load all of the business expenses onto each unit sold.

Gross is pure manufacturing, no overheads, no r+d, no legal, no catering, no HR etc. Net profit is what is left when you run a business.

If you read the report you linked you'll see they have costs that need to be covered as they are reported.

The net profit is then used to pay shareholders who are currently getting a divi of 1% (wow) and can then be invested, retained.

Soldato

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom