• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Foolishly checked out the Starfield thread, and there I was convincing myself I might wait a bit to play it! Hah!

Regardless of this GPU upgrade I desperately require, I'm now also concerned with my CPU. Not sure how well the 3600X is going to cut it. Thinking of a sneaky upgrade to a 5700x/5800x, although I'm not sure if that's a big enough upgrade to make a difference. I guess I'll sort the GPU first and see if it struggles.
Can you use a 5800X3D?

Soldato
Foolishly checked out the Starfield thread, and there I was convincing myself I might wait a bit to play it! Hah!

Regardless of this GPU upgrade I desperately require, I'm now also concerned with my CPU. Not sure how well the 3600X is going to cut it. Thinking of a sneaky upgrade to a 5700x/5800x, although I'm not sure if that's a big enough upgrade to make a difference. I guess I'll sort the GPU first and see if it struggles.

5800x is enough to make a difference but unfortunately all Ryzen Cpu's bar the 7 series do pretty poorly in Starfield. Even the old Intel 8700k beats out the 5800x which it shouldn't. Must be something to do with the games engine. 5800x3d is the best you will get for AM4 as it gets a decent boost over the 5800x.

Last edited:
Associate

XFX Speedster MERC319 Radeon Gaming Graphics Card RX 7800 XT​

Spotted on rainforest for £534. From US though but says import fees deposit included in price?

Last edited:
Associate
5800X3D is fine for editing, i even stream on Twitch with mine using Medium x264 preset @8000kbps

That's interesting. I'm sure there's performance hit on quite a few productivity type apps due to the lower clock speeds (and possibly other design points I don't understand). As I understand it this drawback has been mitigated quite a bit on the new 7800X3D which sounds like a belting chip.

Of course a lot comes down to which apps you use, milage may very etc.

Associate
It seems you misinterpreted what i said, i did not say operating expenses are not included in the product consumers buy, i said "You can't, or at least shouldn't, include R&D in a products cost". As in what it costs to produce said product.

Operating expenses are paid for out of your overall revenue, they come from adding X% to what it cost you to make the product.

It's not my view, it's the generally accepted view of accountants. The only thing that dictates the price is the cost in making the product, operating expenses are added onto that cost after you factor in what it cost you to make said product.

If it costs you £100 to make something you don't say it's cost you £150 because operating expenses, you say it cost you £100 to make something and you need to sell that to customers for £100 + X% to cover operating expenses.

Came here to chat about 7700/80s but a I've worked in tech finance for over 2 decades (CFO for the last one) i'll have a dibble here :D .

Most companies will generally do both (and more). A company of nvidia's stature, resources and being listed will measure the bejayzuz out of everything. traditional P&L format and reporting will of course not feature R&D (it will be capitalised - although that is changing) and the production/delivery of the product will drive some margin reporting.

Separately in different aspects of mgmnt reporting R&D will be measured and will go into a calculation along with production costs and other to give a "project" P&L of a product line inclusive of R&D, same for a board line, a chip line and so on. Various ROI, time to positivity, component metrics and many other finance and other kpis we cannot imagine will be produced and some absolutely will have some input into pricing and margin reporting.

It generally will be a bloody nightmare for the finance or BI folk trying to report this this as already someone already stated - carving out the 7700/7780/previous chipset R&D will be terrible and some poor soul's responsibility and feature in a small box on a 1/3 of a ppt page in a 100 page pack for Lisa

Anyway...

I was semi keen on picking up one of the new gpus today, replacing an old 970 sli build that has finally run out of legs. I a reading here that general opinion is that these new cards haven't improved enough over the 2yr old 6XXX series. I am really going to get better value and same longetivity out of a 6700/6750 for 1440p?

the strangest thing I did notice finally reading about the leaked data on these cards is the small price gap between the 7700 and the 7800. the 80 seems a lot more card for "just" £50 more.

Associate
Came here to chat about 7700/80s but a I've worked in tech finance for over 2 decades (CFO for the last one) i'll have a dibble here :D .

Most companies will generally do both (and more). A company of nvidia's stature, resources and being listed will measure the bejayzuz out of everything. traditional P&L format and reporting will of course not feature R&D (it will be capitalised - although that is changing) and the production/delivery of the product will drive some margin reporting.

Separately in different aspects of mgmnt reporting R&D will be measured and will go into a calculation along with production costs and other to give a "project" P&L of a product line inclusive of R&D, same for a board line, a chip line and so on. Various ROI, time to positivity, component metrics and many other finance and other kpis we cannot imagine will be produced and some absolutely will have some input into pricing and margin reporting.

It generally will be a bloody nightmare for the finance or BI folk trying to report this this as already someone already stated - carving out the 7700/7780/previous chipset R&D will be terrible and some poor soul's responsibility and feature in a small box on a 1/3 of a ppt page in a 100 page pack for Lisa

Anyway...

I was semi keen on picking up one of the new gpus today, replacing an old 970 sli build that has finally run out of legs. I a reading here that general opinion is that these new cards haven't improved enough over the 2yr old 6XXX series. I am really going to get better value and same longetivity out of a 6700/6750 for 1440p?

the strangest thing I did notice finally reading about the leaked data on these cards is the small price gap between the 7700 and the 7800. the 80 seems a lot more card for "just" £50 more.
I'm in a similar boat looking for a creaking 1070 replacement for (soon to be) 1440p. I think if you can pick up a deal on an older 6800XT/6950XT then that's definitely a good option. I fancied the newer 7800XT personally as it seems the best of the current gen options, price dependant of course (Needs to be no more than £500ish).

Soldato
It's already for sale in USA (can't link here against forum rules), 7800xt starts at $540 and 7700xt starts at $460

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in a similar boat looking for a creaking 1070 replacement for (soon to be) 1440p. I think if you can pick up a deal on an older 6800XT/6950XT then that's definitely a good option. I fancied the newer 7800XT personally as it seems the best of the current gen options, price dependant of course (Needs to be no more than £500ish).

At this point I would go with the 6950XT. It is much faster than the 6800XT, and IMO will last a lot longer.

I hold a little hope for the actual review benchmarks, but even if it is what I am seeing then it will be a case of waiting for the 6000 series to sell out, and then the price drops will happen (which was sort of confirmed in an interview. Scott said that basically once the 6000 was gone (sorta kinda, in a round about way) that the AIBs would have freedom to basically price the 7700XT as they wanted). And I expect the 7800XT will follow, but not until they have sold out of 6800XT and so on.

Remember, AMD's place in the market is tiny. As such they still have a whole F load of the 6000 cards they over produced during the mining and C-vid boom. And they don't sell like Nvidia do, hence why they still have lots and have dragged their heels on these cards. If these were much better than the last gen? no one would buy the last gen unless they were ridiculously cheap. So, kinda like Nvidia they are competing with themselves and their last gen until they are gone. Which means? they are going to be over priced, to make the last gen look better (typical sales technique).

Talking of which. I used to work for a marketing company. We sold some herbal BS. I did some covert work one night and slipped into the owner's office. Actual cost to produce? 60 cents. Sale price? $59.90. As has been said, there is a lot of money in R&D, testing and production. What was left out though? marketing. That costs a fortune as well.

Associate
Even if it only costs Nvidia £350 to make?
I'd be surprised if it costs less than £350 to make. And even if it did cost £350, £1500 in the hands of a user is reasonable.

You have a yield for assembled PCB's, which will not be 0.
You then have NRE (dev costs), warranty & shipping.
You also have a bunch of costs to support drivers and such throughout the lifespan of the product (which is longer than we all think).
Finally you have your risk budget. What if a bug is found and you need to recall? What if, what if, what if?
EDIT: Add 20% VAT, yay!

Let me be absolutely clear though, the rest of the stack from 4080 downwards is a joke. The 4070 & 4070ti are cheaper to make than the 3060 & 3060ti, yet come at greatly increased MSRP. The 4060ti is gutless and wildly overpriced and the 16GB version seems to be an afterthought.

Anyway, feel free to disagree (our subjective view of value is always going to be different). We'll never get the actual figures, nor have I carefully tallied the BoM. This comes from my personal experience of designing big boards with BIG silicon (reticle limit sized) for automotive.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found a gigabyte 7700xt for sale on a Polish retailer website. Converted to US dollar they want $580. Sounds like scalping price

Last edited:
Soldato
<snip>
Thanks for going into more detail, most of it way beyond my layman's understanding (i don't even know what half the things you mentioned mean :))

Essentially what you seem to be saying is it's more complex, like most things, than my overly simplistic explanation.

Back
Top Bottom