• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
OK so look, here is another way to look at it.

The GTX 970 and Maxwell was hailed by many as Nvidia's best generation ever with regards to price per performance. The 970 launched in 2014 for £330.

0xfzNWv.png

The 7700XT costs £429 today, yet still they whine.

how come rest of PC parts not as much effected with increases as GPU's ?

Soldato

Because no one used CPUs to mine with, and there was not a short fall of them. Scarcity = price increases. On everything. C-vid = shortages on everything, shipping prices to soar, inflation and food prices to soar. Have you eaten lately? probably. So I don't need to point out to you that even though inflation is supposedly 11% groceries have gone up by 30-50%.

Tried buying a car lately? and so on. Sure, some things were unaffected by all of this. Namely CPUs and boards. I bought a £650 Z590 board a few months ago for £199. But that is rare. Very rare.

Associate

The GTX 970 and Maxwell was hailed by many as Nvidia's best generation ever with regards to price per performance. The 970 launched in 2014 for £330.

0xfzNWv.png

This! I find the MSRP of both cards fair considering the current state of affairs and massive inflation.

Soldato

Have you bought a motherboard, cooler, case, CPU recently.

Old gen CPU's are cheap as they are still sold. Usually they would have been discontinued.

Only thing getting cheap is DDR5 finally.

Soldato

Old gen CPU's are cheap as they are still sold. Usually they would have been discontinued.

And SSDs, and pretty much all solid state storage.

But they are not made of silicon, in a world where people are crying out for it (cars, etc etc). A whole lot of things use silicon now.

BTW, as for the prices etc not going up? then why were the 7000 AMD prices so terrible after the 3000 series? They are only coming down now because things just are not selling.

Associate
Like I said, they are good not great. Even I concede that. But christ, if you rewind two years ago people were literally crying out for this. They get it? and still complain.

IDK, give me strength.
People just need something to whine about. It's weird. These cards even review well with reviewers who have butchered pretty much all other launches this generation. These two cards (7800XT in particular) are the first of this generation that offer some degree of value on launch day. It's not amazing, but it's good and nothing to moan about. What people don't get is that these are targeted at people who still sit on 10 or 20-series GPUs. It's AMD's fault, though, to not just call the 7800XT the 7800.

Associate
Nearly a decade holding onto this 290. Last time prices were sane. I'm tempted by the 7800XT, which should give a notable performance increase over current card which held its own against the 970. I think i want a pre oc version but need to get past the mental block that says not more than msrp! ;)
R290.png

Soldato

Yeah I did a build recently
I think CPU's are quite well priced , 7800x3d for around £369 ? the MSRP for the 3800x was $399 I paid around £260 for MSI x570 unify years ago, currently MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi is £279 DDR5 PCIe 5.0 , 4x M.2 one being Gen 5 that seems decent to me and seems to be getting better , and DDR5 6000 CL30 I paid more for 32gb ddr3600 , NVME prices are really good right now

Soldato
Nearly a decade holding onto this 290. Last time prices were sane. I'm tempted by the 7800XT, which should give a notable performance increase over current card which held its own against the 970. I think i want a pre oc version but need to get past the mental block that says not more than msrp! ;)
R290.png

It's quite easy really. If you have £600 and can find one? 6950XT. If you can find one for less than £500 and it is new? 6800XT (because I have seen a few 7800XT for £479) and in all other cases? 7800XT or 7700XT.

Unless you don't give a crap about any sort of crumb resembling value for money, then just go Nvidia. And then sit around moaning about GPU prices even though you are the reason :D

Soldato
And SSDs, and pretty much all solid state storage.

But they are not made of silicon, in a world where people are crying out for it (cars, etc etc). A whole lot of things use silicon now.

BTW, as for the prices etc not going up? then why were the 7000 AMD prices so terrible after the 3000 series? They are only coming down now because things just are not selling.

Cars are crazy, comparable replacement for the wife's car is double what I paid new in 2014. My car is now 7 years old and the px value is almost the same as the original balloon payment at 3 years old, though I only took the PCP for the discount and then cleared it.

AMD tried it on with the 7 series CPU, and have had to adjust. They are making bank on motherboards though with extra segmentation.

Memory + SSD chips are commodity and we have a huge glut post the COVID boom so prices falling fast, they will go back up when demand recovers.

7800XT, 7700XT are no surprise, AMD compared them to the Nvidia 2000 series.... Massive red flag. Naming is misleading but value ok. Prices usually drop in time, launch prices are only every going to be at MSRP and up, anything with a better cooler costs more.

I think too many people believed this was the second coming when it's just a company pricing at what it thinks the market will stand.

6 series prices will soften as final inventory clears, then we'll see better prices for Black Friday.

Buy now, get a free game. Wait a while, pay a lower price.

Or buy something used.....

Last edited:
Associate

0xfzNWv.png

Last new GPUs I bought..... x2 in SLI. i've just stripped down the rig, removed all the watercooling and popped the air coolers back on (well one, i've lost the air cooler to the other card ffs). These 970's lasted me until now (kids interupted things and contantly over-doing witcher3/skyrim/fallouts).

Think I'm leaning 6750 and putting the extra £££ into a better monitor and then see where we are in a year or 2 (or 6 knowing me)'s time.

Soldato
Last new GPUs I bought..... x2 in SLI. i've just stripped down the rig, removed all the watercooling and popped the air coolers back on (well one, i've lost the air cooler to the other card ffs). These 970's lasted me until now (kids interupted things and contantly over-doing witcher3/skyrim/fallouts).

Think I'm leaning 6750 and putting the extra £££ into a better monitor and then see where we are in a year or 2 (or 6 knowing me)'s time.

I had a pair of 670 Jetstream. They were superb back then.

I then went Titan Black SLI, then to a single Titan Maxwell. The Maxwell Titan? I got about a week before the 10 series launch for £480. On here IIRC, from the MP.

Shame they killed off SLI. Then again, Nvidia have killed off anything good that can beat their halo series card since they introduced the Titan XP.

Associate

0xfzNWv.png

x70 competitor was 7800xt so it's not close to anything to this price!

7700xt is 4060ti competitor. GTX 960 was £160, let's calculate again.. :cry:

Soldato
we must be watching the wrong review again :cry:
6800xt / 3080 look pretty even Raster performance

lzWu8Pl.png

sHB5WLd.png

ImoCA9D.png
Yeah so much for AMD fine wine, in the original review the 6800XT won out at 1080p and 1440p but lost at 4k now however the 3080 is now winning at all 3.

Soldato
I think drivers will make a difference. As we know with AMD, they almost always do.

Looking at HWUB review today the 6800XT beat the 3080 in pretty much everything. Oddly they left out the 3080 in a few though, and did not include the 6950XT in every bench either. Shame, I guess AMD maybe asked them to do that? or was that the GN review? very hectic day here.

It's because they reuse benchmarks like most outlets and if they dont have a score for a particular GPU + cpu + game combo then it's excluded from the chart that's why you notice a old GPU like the 6950xt only appears on some of HUbs charts, they are too lazy to r benchmark the old GPU so they exclude it, at least they do t just try to guess its performance and put it on every chart with estimated numbers

Soldato

0xfzNWv.png

The GTX970 offered 74% the performance of Nvidia's Titan X, the 7700XT offers just 45% of the performance of a 4090 so a more realistic comparison would be a GTX 960 which had 47% of the titan X performance and cost £160 with inflation now making it about £209

Soldato
x70 competitor was 7800xt so it's not close to anything to this price!

7700xt is 4060ti competitor. GTX 960 was £160, let's calculate again.. :cry:

Another way to look at it:

Gtx970 has 75% of the 980ti's performance
The 7700xt has 53% of the 7900xtx's performance and 42% of the rtx4090's performance.

So with the 970, for $330 the gamer had 75% of the top tier's performance but with $429 7700xt you have just 53%/42% of top tier performance.

So clearly the 970 and 7700xt are not even in the same performance class, which is what you pointed out, the 7700xt is at the gtx960's performance class which was $160

Last edited:
Soldato
Another way to look at it:

Gtx970 has 75% of the 980ti's performance
The 7700xt has 53% of the 7900xtx's performance and 42% of the rtx4090's performance.

So with the 970, for $330 the gamer had 75% of the top tier's performance but with $429 7700xt you have just 53%/42% of top tier performance.

So clearly the 970 and 7700xt are not even in the same performance class, which is what you pointed out, the 7700xt is at the gtx960's performance class which was $160
Can't really argue with any of that, but even on fire sale with RDNA 4 piling up in the warehouse waiting for RDNA 3 stock to disappear I think the chances of the 7700 XT dropping even to an inflation adjust $160 is about zero!

Back
Top Bottom