• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I think PC gaming is doomed and my plan is to probably not buy an even more inflated card in 4-5 years time and instead keep the PC as a workstation and use a PS6/Xbox Series Y for gaming.
Why don't you just fix the price you're willing to pay (say £400), and just wait until the performance increase at that price range is enough.

Soldato
Even at +40% the 7900XT still offers less value than a 4090 in terms of performance gains than a 4090 does over a 3080

I'm genuinely perplexed by your reasoning here, can you elaborate? Even if we go by the prices right now the 4090 is not a better price/perf than the 7900 XT.
  1. 4090 at 4K it is ~80% faster than a 3080 and is a substantially higher price (£640 vs £1500). Or 130% more cost for 80% more performance.
  2. 7900 XT at 4K is ~40% faster than a 3080 and is currently 15.4% more expensive (£650 vs £750). When I got my 7900 XT for an effective £635 I was getting ~40% better price performance for the same sort of money over my old 3080 10GB. So techncically as it sits right now, the 7900 XT has a better price/perf ratio than the 3080 you keep tellng us was great value (I agree as I had one).
  3. The 4090 is ~45% average faster than a 7900 XT but 100% more expensive (£750 vs £1500). Even if we look at RT it is 80% faster than a 7900 XT for 100% more cost. So at no level is the 4090 better price/perf than a 4090.
Like me you got lucky with a 3080 10GB at £650 MSRP. You don't need to be a math wizard to see that the price/perf ratio is a lot worse on the 4090. At least the price paid per perf is actually improved over the 3080 if you buy a 7900 XT at current prices. Regardless of your poor math, at some point you need to look at a price cap, not just price per pound/dollar. It is why no matter how you look at it £1500 for a 4090 is a bitter pill to swallow and should never be remotely used as a price/perf yardstick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally i don't think it can ever be done to death, at least not until both companies make amens or explain themselves (small possibility of the latter and near zero of the latter). For people not to be suckered in with a confidence trick they need to be called out and explained at every opportunity, it maybe flogging a dead horse but I've been known to do that. :)

I CBA to go back and look if you were calling out faux outrage, it's just not worth the effort and you're probably right that i jumped in so i apologise if that's the case, jumping in is also something I've been known to do. :)

e: I just want to say that IMO both companies would've probably taken less flak if they just increased prices, yes everyone would've complained about the price increases but at least they wouldn't be seen as being dishonest.

Yea the renaming thing is underhanded and is what tarnishes this release.

Associate
Sales seem to be better for the 7800XT than other releases.

Seems a lot of people who had held out, during covid and Crypto, then the previous, less than stellar, RTX 4000 and RX 7000 releases, are buying now, as it appears the 7800XT hits the right balance of price to performance for many.

OCUK today, on there auto notifier, shows 20 7800XT's sold so far today.

The 7700XT though has a lot of views but not many sales, appears AMD's Marketing strategy is working, to get those upsells.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sales seem to be better for the 7800XT than other releases.

Seems a lot of people who had held out, during covid and Crypto, then the previous, less than stellar, RTX 4000 and RX 7000 releases, are buying now, as it appears the 7800XT hits the right balance of price to performance for many.

OCUK today, on there auto notifier, shows 20 7800XT's sold so far today.

The 7700XT though has a lot of views but not many sales, appears AMD's Marketing strategy is working, to get those upsells.

Is 20 GPU sales in one day a lot for oc uk? It sure doesn't sound a lot

Soldato
AMD had always planned low stock initially with more stock supplied to the regions sales were better. They are playing the waiting game to see what stock levels to supply to each region based on deman. No point sending massive stock to sit in a warehouse somewhere, like they did with 6x00 stock.

Well at least that is what AMD said, let's see how that plays out.

Soldato
Although I’m not in the market for one of these, I am amazed and really impressed at how quiet some of these cards are. The Sapphire RX 7800 XT Nitro+ measures 23dba in the quiet bios which is very impressive - you could essentially build an absolutely silent machine around one of these and something like a 7600x which doesn’t require much cooling.

Soldato
I'm genuinely perplexed by your reasoning here, can you elaborate? Even if we go by the prices right now the 4090 is not a better price/perf than the 7900 XT.
  1. 4090 at 4K it is ~80% faster than a 3080 and is twice the price (£640 vs £1500). Or 100% more cost for 80% more performance.
  2. 7900 XT at 4K is ~40% faster than a 3080 and is currently 15.4% more expensive (£650 vs £750). When I got my 7900 XT for an effective £635 I was getting ~40% better price performance for the same sort of money over my old 3080 10GB.
  3. The 4090 is ~45% average faster than a 7900 XT but 100% more expensive (£750 vs £1500). Even if we look at RT it is 80% faster than a 7900 XT for 100% more cost. So at no level is the 4090 better price/perf than a 4090.
Like me you got lucky with a 3080 10GB at £650 MSRP. You don't need to be a math wizard to see that the price/perf ratio is a lot worse on the 4090. At least the price paid per perf is actually improved over the 3080 if you buy a 7900 XT at current prices. Regardless of your poor math, at some point you need to look at a price cap, not just price per pound/dollar. It is why no matter how you look at it £1500 for a 4090 is a bitter pill to swallow and should never be remotely used as a price/perf yardstick.

Definitely some janky man maths in this thread. Buying a top end card that is likely to be underutilized is not a better deal, it's the old future benefit, future proofing fallacy. That worked out great for 3090 buyers.

If you have a 3080 then it has a value so cost to change on a 7900XT around £400 or £1 per % gain , cost to change to 4090 is £1200 or £1.50 per % gain.

Assuming the 7900XT is worth £350 in 2 years, you can add this to the £800 saved and have £1150 to spend on your next GPU which is likely to exceed 4090 performance and have new features.

Buy what you need for today is usually better than overbuying for the future.

Associate
I'd argue that Wii, Wii u aren't really worthy consoles in the hardware department, but they do have offer a different set of games which provide a fresh experience from the repetition from Ps/xbox/Pc.

Don't forget there were two mining booms which made pc hardware unobtainable and expensive, the later one was the kick in the nuts, because it also was elongated by the effects of covid and silicon shortages.
At the launch of Xbox series X, they were hard to get hold of and game tech wasn't using the potential of the hardware. But still An Xbox series was far more cost effective when the nv3000 series was launched. Xbox with a blu ray drive and it's hardware spec literally cannot be beaten when you consider you get a whole console for the same price as a new crap graphics card. With Game pass then I can also use it for my old pc.

VR I've only tried with Elite and a few car games Flight sim and I agree it can absolutely transform the experience, however I was borrowing a friend's set and at the time the resolution wasn't perfect and I do suffer from fake motion.
Maybe VR has improved now, how much does it cost for a decent one?

Until Microsoft join the 21st Century and release a VR headset for their console, any Xbox console is completely irrelevant to me these days.

And thankfully those mining shortages are a thing of the past, I'm still currently using the PC in my sig, which is great for VR.

Driving, flight and space sims are only part of the equation, although these days they're also compatible with motion simulators, too, which adds even MORE to the experience (I should be getting one next year with a bit of luck!).

There's so much more to VR, the numerous Mods that I've already mentioned, the AAA quality games that Meta have released in the past, the likes of Half Life Alyx from Valve, and best of all a whole host of VR horror games.

As for the cost of headsets, the Quest 2 can be bought for £300/$300 which is more than reasonable, and gives you the option of a standalone experience, without the need of buying an expensive PC, AND wireless PC VR play.

Honestly, it's worth buying a VR headset for Skyrim VR alone, even if you've played the flat game to death, it's a completely different experience in VR. Especially now that you can get a Quest 2 headset for £300/$300.

That's impulse buy territory for a good few people, even these days.

Soldato
Although I’m not in the market for one of these, I am amazed and really impressed at how quiet some of these cards are. The Sapphire RX 7800 XT Nitro+ measures 23dba in the quiet bios which is very impressive - you could essentially build an absolutely silent machine around one of these and something like a 7600x which doesn’t require much cooling.

Coil Whine could ruin that :cry:

Soldato
Definitely some janky man maths in this thread. Buying a top end card that is likely to be underutilized is not a better deal, it's the old future benefit, future proofing fallacy. That worked out great for 3090 buyers.

If you have a 3080 then it has a value so cost to change on a 7900XT around £400 or £1 per % gain , cost to change to 4090 is £1200 or £1.50 per % gain.

Assuming the 7900XT is worth £350 in 2 years, you can add this to the £800 saved and have £1150 to spend on your next GPU which is likely to exceed 4090 performance and have new features.

Buy what you need for today is usually better than overbuying for the future.

So true, it's all about balance when we look at future proofing. So if you are buying a GPU for 5 years then a low VRAM 4070 or 4070Ti and arguably even the 4080 can be problematic. How many use "future proofing" excuse to justify a 4090 but will sell it in two years when the £2000 5090 RTX is released (and then moan aboat the price)?

These are the same people who justified a 3090 or 3090 Ti for "future proofing" and still bought a 4090.

Last edited:
Soldato
So true, it's all about balance when we look at future proofing. So if you are buying a GPU for 5 years then a low VRAM 4070 or 4070Ti and arguably even the 4080 can be problematic. How many use "future proofing" excuse to justify a 4090 but will sell it in two years when the £2000 5090 RTX is released?

These are the same people who justified a 3090 or 3090 Ti for "future proofing" and still bought a 4090.
There are a few strategies for buying that work but I still think the, "buy midrange and upgrade every other generation and sell the old gear", is probably the best for value and consistent experience.

Soldato
There are a few strategies for buying that work but I still think the, "buy midrange and upgrade every other generation and sell the old gear", is probably the best for value and consistent experience.

The advent of VRR monitors has saved me a fortune. As a pure single player only I can tolerate ~40 FPS minimums as my Freesync Premium 4K montor can do LFC. If it wasn't for this I would find even a 4080/7900 XTX unplayable at 4K and a 4090 would be borderline in many games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom