• I've had medical problems through drinking and don't care

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don't drink / drink rarely.

Votes: 235 61.7%

• Total voters

One

One

Soldato
It doesn't matter how much you drink as long as you function in your day to day life. No matter how little you drink, if it affects your day to day life then you're drinking too much.

Sometimes I drink too much, such as the odd weekend the carries on to the Sunday making my Monday morning a bit off key. Mostly though I'm fine. You?

Soldato
Im a binge drinker myself. I tend to go mad at the weekends. Doesn't affect my job but I often think the job affects my alcohol intake :D

Associate
OP
My problem is I enjoy a drink, ie a bottle of wine a night is not a lot.
It does not effect my work as I am at home, but I am aware that it needs to stop.

It doesn't matter how much you drink as long as you function in your day to day life. No matter how little you drink, if it affects your day to day life then you're drinking too much.

Sometimes I drink too much, such as the odd weekend the carries on to the Sunday making my Monday morning a bit off key. Mostly though I'm fine. You?

I don't agree with that, you can't gauge alcohol dependency solely on how much it interferes with your day to day life, there are plenty of "functioning alcoholics" in society, regardless of whether or not it's impinging on your life if you are dependent on it then needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
I can actually pinpoint the very day I became depended on alcohol due to a thread I made on here many years ago,

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17637307

It's interesting having it logged, you can see how it all began, the simple act of being stressed in work leading to just 1 tin of beer a night, sounds perfectly innocent, but when I look back at that thread I think even then I must have known I was going down a bad path, the thread was just blatantly asking for peoples permission to drink so I could excuse myself.

My advice is if you feel your becoming depended on alcohol no matter how little you drink then listen to yourself, you are having those feelings for a reason, don't ignore them.

Man of Honour
No.

I can count on one hand the number of time I've been drunk in the past year. In that same time I've probably had one or maybe two on roughly 10 occasions.

/high horse.

Soldato
I don't agree with that, you can't gauge alcohol dependency solely on how much it interferes with your day to day life, there are plenty of "functioning alcoholics" in society, regardless of whether or not it's impinging on your life if you are dependent on it then needs to be addressed.

Indeed, you could function quite normally but still be killing yourself at an alarming rate.

Associate
i used to ,im only 28 and already got a bit of liver damage,nothing major(didnt turn yellow lol) but it was detectable even when i hadnt drank for a couple of weeks wich proved my liver wasnt functioning right and i started feeling really ill when drinking even small amounts and not really recovered 100% and i've not drank in over a year and 4 months.once you feel your insides rotting and pain you kinda take a hint and stop drinking unless your like my gran who drank herself to death despite the agony.(dont understand how people could take it that far tbh they must be mental)

i used to drink up to 5 bottle of buckfast a day give or take and id use cidre like water.

Last edited:
Soldato
drinking too much and being dependent is very different. Some people can drink a lot daily and function and work, others may not. One problem is withdrawing off alcohol.

Some people aint but when they drink it's a battlefield and they binge and put themselve in a bad poss.

Eitherway, it can and will bite you - if you're drinking too much, be sat here tomorrow maybe, maybe a few years maybe not. You say that and people shrug it off.

Alcohol is very accepted in society I find, too much.

Caporegime
I drink frequently but not heavily. will have 1 bottle beer 3-4 times a week for example, if not a beer a glass of wine with dinner, a nice dram of whiskey, or a occasionally a cocktail.

The thing is I like the taste of the drinks. I love a good Belgium beer, glass of red wine or nice spirit. It old drink them without the alcohol, the alcohol is merely consequential. You just don't find drinks with the same taste without being fermented. I have had a few drinkable alcohol free beers, but only in Germany. Cannot buy that stuff anywhere else.
I also find th effects of 1 or 2 small bottles of beer to be pleasurable so don't complain at the alcohol.

Wise Guy
Soldato
I drink fairly often in the summer just because beer is the most refreshing drink. Don't usually have more than 2 though. Quite like getting a little buzzed occasionally but I don't like being drunk.

This is what drinking is about to me, sitting back and relaxing after some hard work with a tasty brew and maybe some tasty food, and reflect on the world for a moment:

fs7O2.jpg

not my pic but that's a slice of heaven. bratwurst and chips and a hofbrau after a bit of hiking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom