• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Likely quite a few people are not taking electricity usage into account, some probably not even paying for it. I could mine in two different places without paying electricity if I kept it relatively discrete (8 card setup for instance).

I have left my uni machine on (TR 3970x, Titan RTX) - you know, for remote desktop to run stats and simulations and stuff ;)

Soldato
I’m just happy I can delete these discord’s email updates etc relax knowing the search is finally over and for myself the gpu I wanted today thanks to OCUK worth the slight premium on top

Soldato
I'd be surprised if mining is causing much of the shortage. Even during the last proper mining boom in 2017 when it was actually possible to make decent money, I could still buy plenty of 1070s for £230-240 (XX70 card for £230 eh, those were the days)

There's no way a UK hobby miner is paying £700-1000 for a card that will need at least a years worth of mining to even stand a chance of paying itself off.

You might be surprised, is a lot of mining talk on the ctrlalt discord, I also have a friend who is thinking of nothing of buying a 3080 for mining, without realising its a slow stream of money that takes several months to pay off the card, and thats assuming the currency doesnt crash or hash difficulty not going up too much.

If I remember right the 1070s didnt hold their low price.

Soldato
You might be surprised, is a lot of mining talk on the ctrlalt discord, I also have a friend who is thinking of nothing of buying a 3080 for mining, without realising its a slow stream of money that takes several months to pay off the card, and thats assuming the currency doesnt crash or hash difficulty not going up too much.

If I remember right the 1070s didnt hold their low price.

Who else would be buying a 5700 XT for £500-£600?

Idiots, obviously. Just wanting to jump on the bandwagon without realising they'll not earn any money.

Those 1070s were bought at the beginning and bang in the middle of the last mining rush all for the same price, I think they briefly went up to £300 for top AIB cards but cheap Zotacs were still around £230-240.

Soldato
You might be surprised, is a lot of mining talk on the ctrlalt discord.

You not reading posts then lmao. There was a few people on about it the other day I saw, who were curious and trying to mine on their own 30xx GPU which they game on when not gaming/working... Not seen anyone wasting more money on multiple GPUs or mining rigs for a £3 a day... :D

Honestly people today going nuts on OcUK over the Ctrl Alt discord is hilarious. It's heavily genuine gamers/enthusiasts... The actual communities people are mad over are bots/scripts, they are the non-public facing ones that you don't see for obvious reasons who keep a low profile. :rolleyes:

Associate
They're making the gpu's yeah, but their actual reference boards at MSRP are scarce to say the least. The only reason ocuk had any at all today was they had stockpiled them from late last year, and even then they were only the 6800 variant (non xt) and overpriced vs what amd sell them for.

Does anyone know how buying the 6800 series direct from AMD works. Can the reference box and card only be bought from the USA and so would you have to pay international shipping and add VAT?

Soldato
You not reading posts then lmao. There was a few people on about it the other day I saw, who were curious and trying to mine on their own 30xx GPU which they game on when not gaming/working... Not seen anyone wasting more money on multiple GPUs or mining rigs for a £3 a day... :D

Honestly people today going nuts on OcUK over the Ctrl Alt discord is hilarious. It's heavily genuine gamers/enthusiasts... The actual communities people are mad over are bots/scripts, they are the non-public facing ones that you don't see for obvious reasons who keep a low profile. :rolleyes:

Yeah it isnt 24/7, just I noticed some :) is good been in there to see all the pc chat.

Caporegime
Does anyone know how buying the 6800 series direct from AMD works. Can the reference box and card only be bought from the USA and so would you have to pay international shipping and add VAT?

Amd uk site has a store with the reference card and box, though out of stock still.

Associate
I've had money in the bank waiting till september to buy a 3080 at launch. Getting to that point now even considered a 3090 at close to mrrp and sell on my 1080 in my machine.

The amount of games I play that push my 1080 on my 1440 ultrawide I have had my doubts that it would be worthwhile. Did consider buying VR and then I think I would need to anyway.

Soldato
I might be an idiot also, pulled the trigger on one of the 3070s yesterday, but I guess I am the position to get one now and no idea what will happen in the future... So could look silly in a few month or might be the same or might be worse I guess.

I know for sure the 3070 will be more than enough for me.

Associate
I might be an idiot also, pulled the trigger on one of the 3070s yesterday, but I guess I am the position to get one now and no idea what will happen in the future... So could look silly in a few month or might be the same or might be worse I guess.

I know for sure the 3070 will be more than enough for me.

Bottom line is I’m happy to pay more now than I would be in six months. It means I have what I want and can move on and spend the time I’ve wasted looking for a GPU on something more fun. That has value to me.

Associate
I'm 50/50. I use to buy new gpu pretty much every year but been stuck now with 980ti for about 4 years. I bought it just as gtx1080 came out. Comparing the two I could buy the 980ti new at much better price and didn't think gtx1080 was worth the extra.

The gtx1080ti came out and despite been great I thought I'd wait for the rtx2080/ti. Obviously lt that was disaster as rtx2080 was no faster and I refused the ti price.

Finally rtx3070 & rtx3080 land and feel can justify buying....but you can't.

I really want a new rig as gpu 4 years old and main rig about 10? (Sandy 2500k). I believe when you buy a system the gpu has to be sold a bit more like the rrp , which does seem to have some element of truth cause sites don't seem to suddenly have increased those (system) prices by hundreds. I'm also thinking if I buy a system because of the cost it may mean jumping queue, I'm not sure.

Deep down I guess I don't need it, my gtx980ti still doing a grand job, but i miss playing with new stuff. I'll prob get bored looking, by the time these are ever available and at closer to normal price the next cards will be out.But concern is you won't be able to buy them either

Associate
sympathetic to this, got bored before and over Xmas waiting so decided to leave it six months. Situation is not acceptable and will not forget the escapees on many sides with this launch.

Soldato
I've just sold my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 8gb for £330 on Ebay.

Stuck the old 290 in the machine and gonna be patient and wait to put that £330 towards a 6800 whenever they become available.

Back
Top Bottom