• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Last time I looked at gfx cards was the 6xxx launch event and I thought a 6800 would do nicely. I've had my head in the sand a bit since then, so new year, new PC and I'm depressed at the pricing of gfx cards when I'm starting to plan out my build.

I'm currently rocking dual R290's from 2011 in X-fire, on a Sandybridge E rig so I need to upgrade this year, and Zen 4 was my plan. I'm looking at 3K for a build now if I assume Zen 4 will come in at a little bit more than high end Zen 3, they are pricing the build your own people out the market now, especially those who want a decent card

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Last time I looked at gfx cards was the 6xxx launch event and I thought a 6800 would do nicely. I've had my head in the sand a bit since then, so new year, new PC and I'm depressed at the pricing of gfx cards when I'm starting to plan out my build.

I'm currently rocking dual R290's from 2011 in X-fire, on a Sandybridge E rig so I need to upgrade this year, and Zen 4 was my plan. I'm looking at 3K for a build now if I assume Zen 4 will come in at a little bit more than high end Zen 3, they are pricing the build your own people out the market now, especially those who want a decent card

best bang for buck would be a pre built, doing you're own self build now is fine right up until you look at gpu's.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Probably, I'm struggling with that as in 25yrs, I have never owned a pre built system, always built my own, it is a habit I'm loathe to give up on

last prebuilt i had was a pentium 2 450mhz, and even then i picked up a pair of voodoo 2's to sli in it the same day. so thats about 24 years ago.

Caporegime

Zen4 is def the smart choice for you if you can hold on :)

Soldato
Must be my age. But I'm annoyed at how gambling ads seem to be entering my living room.

I'm not against the industry in any major way. But it needs to sod right off being broadcast to the world.

It annoys the hell out of me too, they should be illegal and in day time on youtube they are never ending and at times kids see them. I don't understand how these have not been banned yet. They are none stop one after the other too. It is shocking how bad it is.

Associate
Ticking along here with an old ivybridge 3570k and RX580, showing it's age quite heavily now. I don't play as much now as I've developed other hobbies, but I'm playing through Final Fantasy 15 and it's struggling, lots of stutter

I'd like to upgrade but I can't justify the current pricing, I can afford it but it's more the principle than anything- what a joke

Happy with how long I've got out of my current build, but think I'll stick to other hobbies and playing the occasional old game in my backlog

Soldato
OP
Ticking along here with an old ivybridge 3570k and RX580, showing it's age quite heavily now. I don't play as much now as I've developed other hobbies, but I'm playing through Final Fantasy 15 and it's struggling, lots of stutter

I'd like to upgrade but I can't justify the current pricing, I can afford it but it's more the principle than anything- what a joke

Happy with how long I've got out of my current build, but think I'll stick to other hobbies and playing the occasional old game in my backlog

I've about 50+ games I've got in my steam and Epic library, have played about 10 of them. I'm going to hang fire on a GPU and go back through them all and try them. I don't really game muchc these days anyway so it'll take me a long time to get through them

Soldato
I mostly stopped gaming a good many years ago. Only when kids started to want something for Minecraft did I get some old Xeon Workstations and stick a couple of 1050ti's in them. Cards were around £70ea.
With no cheap cards around, last year, I upgraded to two Gaming laptops, one with a 2060 the other with a 3060. Other than Word Of Tanks, I still haven't got back to gaming. Bought a few games on Steam, but have barely opened them.
if I could get a better low end card for reasonable money, I'd consider building something with a 3050/3060. Not sure if I'll bother until prices come down though.

Associate
While CB might have given up doing price trend news stories, 3D Center are still at it:
https://www.3dcenter.org/news/news-des-2223-januar-2022
HriBI0y.png
Not sure if averages of all cards is such a useful metric, but that's what they are doing.
They also have a % for each card:
B8aJQJK.png
-15% improvement for the 3060 since the 2nd of January. Still 188% of the MSRP though.
Lowest Mehrpreis (literary more+price) percentage are the pre-scalped cards: 6500XT (pre-scalped and got very poor reviews although AFAIK still none in German as AMD didn't sample a single German review site), and the 3080Ti. As for not being ripped of, then the 6900 XT is only 143% of it's MRSP. But then it was released at $1000.

What the chart fails to show is that at release the 6600XT was actually available for £329 at least for a few hours. That price seemed pretty poor at the time for such a small 128-bit card. However, with hindsight...

Soldato
People still buying 3080 FEs at £1400 with a current ROI of over 3 years before you take into account all the other detrimental factors. Absolutely mental!

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to upgrade my vega 56 but honestly I’m not a mug.
So I won’t.

I’ll spend my money on better things and if prices come down to something reasonable then maybe I’ll come back to gaming but I suspect there are millions of people who have pretty much thrown the towel in because they don’t want to get ripped off anymore.

Back
Top Bottom