Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Soldato
It was established many pages ago that the modem chipset inside the Asus caused issues with certain lines..

I don't know why you keep quoting, I've ditched my Asus long time ago, so really not an issue for me now since my TP Link VR900 is rock stable.

Meditek chipset is what Asus uses, Mediatek purchased Ralink btw as well.

Done with this thread for the record.

Last edited:
Associate
having skim read this thread would it be more recommended to get the WAN router rather than the one with the ADSL/VDSL modem on it? Lots of people seem to be having issues with the VDSL modem side?

Currently on Infinity 2 (76/20?) but only sync at 45/5. My Dlink 615 is on the way out so i need to upgrade.

If you look way back, you have to make a judgement or take a chance
For some works fine, for others there is issue
You can always use it as only router but that will leave you with a Lan less due to the conversion one of the 4 lan ports into incoming wan to be as router only
And for router only can not load on the dsl modems third part firmware such merlin, openwrt, dd wrt etc

Last edited:
Soldato
having skim read this thread would it be more recommended to get the WAN router rather than the one with the ADSL/VDSL modem on it? Lots of people seem to be having issues with the VDSL modem side?

Currently on Infinity 2 (76/20?) but only sync at 45/5. My Dlink 615 is on the way out so i need to upgrade.

As said it appears to work better for people on good lines. Longer distance lines usually seem more stable with a broadcom chipset device.

Is there word on an Asus device with a broadcom chip babis? If so any idea when?

Soldato
If you look way back, you have to make a judgement or take a chance
For some works fine, for others there is issue
You can always use it as only router but that will leave you with a Lan less due to the conversion one of the 4 lan ports into incoming wan to be as router only
And for router only can not load on the dsl modems third part firmware such merlin, openwrt, dd wrt etc

its looking like the router only might be the best choice then. I guess that allows me to use it with Virgin Media if i do swap from BT at a later date as well.

What wireless adaptors have people been using with it? Im thinking of splashing out on the PCE-AC68 as well.

And finally does it work ok as a cloud/simple NAS share?

Thanks guys.

Associate
its looking like the router only might be the best choice then. I guess that allows me to use it with Virgin Media if i do swap from BT at a later date as well.

What wireless adaptors have people been using with it? Im thinking of splashing out on the PCE-AC68 as well.

And finally does it work ok as a cloud/simple NAS share?

Thanks guys.

as said by other user, seems is not ok for far lines especially in UK where there is DLM ...
but in your case you have not vdsl yet, it looks like is a risk, so a just router may be the case & will do better either with cable or vdsl
Any router only (in most cases) will allow you to have 3rd part firmware where has more features or in some cases less bugs than the manufactures

Associate
As said it appears to work better for people on good lines. Longer distance lines usually seem more stable with a broadcom chipset device.

Is there word on an Asus device with a broadcom chip babis? If so any idea when?

they just told me that a broadcom coming & seems to be high end one (maybe 4 antennas) less or more around summer (delays may happens as with the billion 8900 was expected by end of last year and was delayed few months later)
They are not giving more info on this ... but yes they have plans for broadcom based

Soldato
eu11e1.png

Is this the correct dsl modulation for Sky adsl?

I originally had the modulation type set as G,998.4(G.INP) however changed the setting to "auto" and now it's done an adsl2+ and G.INP split... presumably for upload/download?

Also, how comes download is interleaved but upload is fastpath?

The connection seems to be dropping sporadically, unsure what I need to change to resolve that at the moment. Previously I ended up using the orginal sky modem as as well, however would like to avoid that now.

Associate
Unless the modem not report correct, from the stats up the line has g.inp at upstream & downstream
You can try telnet command
cat /tmp/adsl/info_adsl.txt
but possibly wont make any difference to the informations

I have seen some lines that is possible to have fast at upload & inteleave at download, perhaps your area got updated (not sure of course)

Last edited:
Associate
again i fell for new fimware fixes router bs , im 100m from my cabinet and after 4 hrs i got disconnected 2 times stating MY internet was unstable.... not one disconnect in many months on the eci modem. if asus made a router that made pure gold out of toilet paper id give it a miss !

Soldato
again i fell for new fimware fixes router bs , im 100m from my cabinet and after 4 hrs i got disconnected 2 times stating MY internet was unstable.... not one disconnect in many months on the eci modem. if asus made a router that made pure gold out of toilet paper id give it a miss !

I know how you feel.

I really liked my Asus DSL-AC68U when I had first purchased it before Christmas, but it kept disconnecting every few days and in gaming that can be fatal, the TP Link VR900 I purchased as the Asus replacement is still running great and not let me down since I brought it back in January.

I really can't understand why Asus can't get it stable, especially when it has had so many firmware updates and been out for a few years.

I wonder if they will ever fixed it or just give up and let it RIP.

:)

Associate
New firmware available ...

Version 3.0.0.4.380_3034
Description ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3034 specifically for restoration tool.
File Size 37.74 MBytesupdate 2016/05/09 Download from Global

Version 3.0.0.4.380_3034
Description ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3034 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
Security improvement:
- Modified the access rights of account mode and share mode to asusware.platform path when lighttpd server is enabled. (Très Acton at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence))
- Modified the access rights to specific port of UPnP server. (Thanks to Acton)
- Restriced access from wan method to enhance security. (Thanks for David)
- Changed SSH and Telnet default access interface.
- Upgrade Dropbear to v2016.73.

DSL:
- DSL driver updated - v5.5.2.3.
- DSL firmware updated: v1.0.3.5.
- Fixed IOT issues with specific version of ECI DSLAM.
- Fixed VDSL2 upstream speed limited issue with certain DSLAM.
- Add 'ESNP for ADSL' option in DSL Setting page.
- Display current downstream SNR Margin in DSL Setting page.
- Fixed auto detection error in ADSL Annex B mode.
- ADSL WAN (ATM) QIS manual setting list updated.
Add Spain ISP, Jazztel (PPPoE, VLAN ID 1074).

www:
- Modify QIS Manual PPP setting for specific Germany ISP.
- Fixed WAN selection issue and apply issue in DualWAN page.
- Fine tune Client list feature.

Others:
- Supported more ASUS Router App new features.
- Fixed 5G LED be turned on again after turn all led off.
- Fixed no data in traffic monitor in Ethernet WAN mode.
- Fixed some issues when disable 802.1Q in Ethernet WAN mode.
- Fixed possible firmware upgrade issue.
- Fixed UPnP related issues.
- Fixed the sleep devices be waked up every hour issue.
- Modified the reserved vlan id 100~107 to 3880~3887 in Ethernet WAN mode.
- Supported Huawei K5160 USB Modem.

Soldato
Does anyone know why i cant connect to wireless anymore on my dsl_ac68u

im on the latest firmware, and i cant remember the last firmware i was on that was working with wifi, cause i think wifi is broken with the latest firmwares........

when i try to connect even when setting the wireless to open with no password it keeps timing out when i try to connect to it from my set top box........

it use to work wtf is going on :/

Associate
New Beta firmware DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_380_3281-g54348d0_DSL_1.0.3.6.zip
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/80245E5E426844979792A33FC7702F0FY

change-log

Security improvement:

- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2110. (Man in the middle attacks possible with NTLMSSP)

- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2111. (NETLOGON Spoofing Vulnerability)

- ASUS firmware did not enable Samba LDAP, and not affected by CVE-2016-2112. (LDAP client and server don't enforce integrity) issue.

- The Samba version in ASUS firmware not affected by CVE-2016-2118. (SAMR and LSA man in the middle attacks possible)

- The Samba version in ASUS firmware not affected by CVE-2015-5370. (Multiple errors in DCE-RPC code)

- Fixed vulnerability of XSS.

New feature:

- URL Filter now supports HTTPS sites blocking.

DSL:

- DSL firmware updated: v1.0.3.6.

- Fine tune QIS setup.

- Fine tune for multicast packets delay issue.

- ADSL WAN (ATM) QIS manual setting list updated.

Modify Turkey ISP TTNET to Turk Telekom.

Add United Kingdom ISP, Kcom.

Add New Zealand ISP, TrustPower.

Add South Africa ISP, Crystal Web.

Add Italy ISP, TIM.

Add Iran ISP, Tcmnet.

Add Poland ISP, Orange.

Add Algeria ISP, Jawab.

Add Faroe Islands ISP, Foroya Tele.

Add Uganda ISP, PoolDeep.

- VDSL WAN (PTM) QIS manual setting list updated.

Add New Zealand ISP, 2 Degrees Broadband.

Add Poland ISP, Orange (VLAN ID 35).

Add Faroe Islands ISP, Foroya Tele.

Bug fixes and Enhancements:

- Fixed Media Server related issues.

- Update the path of Download Master FAQ link & Tool.

- Modified the name string "WCDMA (UMTS)" to "WCDMA (UMTS) / LTE".

- Add 'Cancel' link for certain notification cases.

- Add IPv6 support of radius server IP address.

- Fixed the compatibility issue with EDGE browser in Internet Connection page.

- SSH: support ECDSA key.

- Fixed NTP related issue.

- minidlna: all full realvideo support.

- Enhance IPv6 UDP throughput.

- Fixed Fail-back issue with PPP.

- Fixed no error page in PPP authentication failed case.

Back
Top Bottom