Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Soldato
how do you actually use this modem as a router only and connect a modem only to your line then run the lan cable from the modem to the router
is there a setting in the router to disable modem......

and if you have them both connected how do you connect to both the router and the modems 192.168.1.1 pages ? at the same time lol

Associate
I'm currently on a plusnet fibre connection.

I would love an all in one solution but going by this thread, seems like there are issues.

If I wanted to replace the original router and go with this is that a good solution?

Or are there cheaper options that will get me the same, if not better results?

Soldato
Well i just purchased this : BT Openreach Huawei Echolife HG612 FTTC VDSL fiber fibre NTE, BT, SKY, TALK TALK *latest 3B revision*

dam expensive for a modem only, £30 dam..... i couldnt find it anywhere cheaper.

----

im going to put the Asus 68u into router mode only and use this modem directly at the master socket and run a cat 6 grade cable twisted pair to the router in my room from the modem...

im hoping for very even better results.

i just hope the lan ports on the modem side are gigaports....

Associate
Well i just purchased this : BT Openreach Huawei Echolife HG612 FTTC VDSL fiber fibre NTE, BT, SKY, TALK TALK *latest 3B revision*

dam expensive for a modem only, £30 dam..... i couldnt find it anywhere cheaper.

----

im going to put the Asus 68u into router mode only and use this modem directly at the master socket and run a cat 6 grade cable twisted pair to the router in my room from the modem...

im hoping for very even better results.

i just hope the lan ports on the modem side are gigaports....

No they are 100MBit, but BT only goes up to 80MBit so it is fine.

Associate
how do you actually use this modem as a router only and connect a modem only to your line then run the lan cable from the modem to the router
is there a setting in the router to disable modem......

and if you have them both connected how do you connect to both the router and the modems 192.168.1.1 pages ? at the same time lol

On this same subject, can someone recommend a modem to use with this (I'm sick of daily disconnects but want to keep its router functions).

I'm on Sky unlimited ADSL2 I think (migrated when they took over O2).

I tried re-configuring the O2 Wireless Box II to run in 'modem only' mode but failed miserably :(

Last edited:
Associate
On this same subject, can someone recommend a modem to use with this (I'm sick of daily disconnects but want to keep its router functions).

I'm on Sky unlimited ADSL2 I think (migrated when they took over O2).

I tried re-configuring the O2 Wireless Box II to run in 'modem only' mode but failed miserably :(

I have just got one of these

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D9.html

Got one due to the chipset in it as its good for long lines as I'm on ADSL2+ the first one I had packed in working on wireless after 6 hours, so I returned it, got another one now and it seems good I have to say it is very stable on my line 3.5 meg was easy to set up and port forward ect I was using a N55U which was unstable on my long line.

The wireless on the TP-Link is the same as the N55U I live in a three tier house and get full wireless signal on the top floor.

Hope that helps if you have any questions send me a message.

Craig

Associate
I have just got one of these

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D9.html

Got one due to the chipset in it as its good for long lines as I'm on ADSL2+ the first one I had packed in working on wireless after 6 hours, so I returned it, got another one now and it seems good I have to say it is very stable on my line 3.5 meg was easy to set up and port forward ect I was using a N55U which was unstable on my long line.

The wireless on the TP-Link is the same as the N55U I live in a three tier house and get full wireless signal on the top floor.

Hope that helps if you have any questions send me a message.

Craig

Cheers, might try and sell the ASUS and try this

Soldato
I just got a Ecolife BT open reach modem to use with this router, finally got it setup
and its awesome......

also hacked the router so that i get constant statistics from it though took me loads of tries and cause of that DLM destroyed my line so now im waiting on DLM fixing its self again lol

--------------

kYdcbjl.png

as you can see i get full stats from my connection :)
FEC errors are normal with interleaving :( gotta wait for DLM to retune my line for speed profile, currently its on standard profile due to about 20+ reconnects fixing stuff lol

AXEL did you get my email
or anyone if they know how to change speed profile with this modem let me know
i got the settings once from someone i think it was axel but i cant be sure though i have lost the commands to do it, if anyone knows let me know cheers.

Soldato
@ ViRuS2k,

What guide did you follow, will be doing the same when my HG612 arrives :eek:

Its actually quite easy.
i have set it up so that my asus router is on 192.168.1.2
i have set up my BT modem hg612 is on 192.168.1.1

----------------------------

so i can access both modem and router at the same time ;)

Method i used was plug the modem in and connect it to your pc on lan port 2 of the modem
then flash the p80 firmware it is the latest version that is reference unlocked with G.IMP fully working as well as GUI and telnet access.

Make sure you flash the unlocked p08 GUI version
then to unlock the router follow these steps....

1: change your pc lan port to 192.168.1.100
then change subnet @ 255.255.255.0
then change Gateway @ 192.168.1.1

then hold down the reset button on the BT modem with it connected to your pc and lan port 2 on the BT modem power the BT modem holding down the reset button then let go of the reset button after 10 seconds you will see the power light on the router flickering

once done and the BT modem is fully powered back up gain access to the firmware flashing page of the router with 192.168.1.1
then browse to the firmware and press ok, then wait about 3 minutes to make sure the BT modem fully flashed and upgraded.
do not try to flash any firmwares in the future from within the GUI of the modem as the firmware will not fully flash

ok then your done.

now to set up, plug your asus router into your pc and then plug the other end into the routers lan port 2
then plug the modems cable coming out of lan port 1 into lan port 1 on the router.
then connect the adsl cable to the BT modem

Then power up the asus router and go into the LAN settings / Dual WAN and set Primary wan @Ethernet wan / Lan port 1 *as this will be the port your plugging your BT modem into.

----
after that go to LAN settings on the asus router : Ip address set as : 192.168.1.2
with subnet @ 255.255.255.0

then apply and wait, then once back in the router from accessing it @ 192.168.1.2
go into Lan Settings again DHCP server tab, then make sure your settings look like this :

Ip pool starting address : 192.168.1.3
Ip pool ending address : 192.168.1.254
Default gateway : 192.168.1.2 (if you leave this default as in black you will not be able to access the modems gui @ 192.168.1.1
so change it to 192.168.1.2 then click apply

ok thats the router settings done.

now power off the router and then power on the BT modem give it 1 minute then power on the router,, then you should get a internet connection and be done you should see the light on the routers Internet light go on :D

if the internet light does not go on, you might need to go into the modems gui and configure it to access internet mine worked without even messing with settings lol

to get access to statistics from other programs ect ect like the picture i posted above, you will need to use the modems lan 2 port and plug that directly into a spare port on the router that will also let you access the modems gui @ 192.168.1.1 without that cable plugged in you will not get GUI or TELNET or STATS access from the modem.

once you plug that in the asus router should give you access @192.168.1.1 from the get go as we set the router up to use 192.168.1.2 as the modems default is 192.168.1.1

hope this helps if you get stuck just let me know im sure i can fix it for ya :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I've got them, from Kitz/Howling Wolf, used the Mega app to access and download to my android phone :)

Thats the ones ;) just make sure like i said,

there are 3 versions:

Original 08
hacked 08 with telnet access and no gui access
and 3rd 08 with telnet + gui

you need the 3rd also anything under 08 will not let you get G.IMP compatibility.

Associate
Sorry in advance, dumb, dumb questions coming up , I dont have a clue ! Any help would be very much appreciated !!

I purchased one of these - D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - to use as a modem to work with my ASUS (in router mode only).

No luck working so far tho :(

* New modem is working fine - in normal mode I can access internet connecting to my PC

* Now I assume I need to set it to 'bridge mode', which I have done

* I then set ASUS to Ethernet WAN (on port)

* I then connect Ethernet from D-link to port 2 on ASUS (phone line connected to D-link)

* No dice , no internet access

*On the WAN settings on the ASUS - Im at at loss as to what to change settings to - IP address / subnet / default gateway

* Both D-link and Asus have IPs of 192.168.1.1 - do I need to change these ? (What to and which one)

This is doing my head in - thought it would be plug and play :(

If anyone can offer any advice I would be very grateful

(Is there any info I can add to help ?)

:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry in advance, dumb, dumb questions coming up , I dont have a clue ! Any help would be very much appreciated !!

I purchased one of these - D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - to use as a modem to work with my ASUS (in router mode only).

No luck working so far tho :(

* New modem is working fine - in normal mode I can access internet connecting to my PC

* Now I assume I need to set it to 'bridge mode', which I have done

* I then set ASUS to Ethernet WAN (on port)

* I then connect Ethernet from D-link to port 2 on ASUS (phone line connected to D-link)

* No dice , no internet access

*On the WAN settings on the ASUS - Im at at loss as to what to change settings to - IP address / subnet / default gateway

* Both D-link and Asus have IPs of 192.168.1.1 - do I need to change these ? (What to and which one)

This is doing my head in - thought it would be plug and play :(

If anyone can offer any advice I would be very grateful

(Is there any info I can add to help ?)

:(

Ok i see what you have done, no thats not correct you cant have both the router and modem on the same IP adddress.
leave the modems address on 192.168.1.1 and change the Wan setting of the router to use port 192.168.1.2 then go into LAN and change DHCP settings to use ip pool 192.168.1.3 then change subnet to 255.255.255.0 same as the modems subnet then change default gateway @192.168.1.2 then change DSN 1st and 2nd @192.168.1.1
then save settings and power down both modem and router.

then power up modem only. wait until its full up dsl light on then power on the router and wait ;)
dont forget to disable on the modem NAT and Firewall as you will assuringly be using NAT and Firewall on router instead, you dont want to go DOUBLE NAT and you dont want to be going double DHCP so make sure thats disabled on the modem also and configure via router instead to use AUTO ;)
should work.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok i see what you have done, no thats not correct you cant have both the router and modem on the same IP adddress.
leave the modems address on 192.168.1.1 and change the Wan setting of the router to use port 192.168.1.2 then go into LAN and change DHCP settings to use ip pool 192.168.1.3 then change subnet to 255.255.255.0 same as the modems subnet then change default gateway @192.168.1.2 then change DSN 1st and 2nd @192.168.1.1
then save settings and power down both modem and router.

then power up modem only. wait until its full up dsl light on then power on the router and wait ;)
dont forget to disable on the modem NAT and Firewall as you will assuringly be using NAT and Firewall on router instead, you dont want to go DOUBLE NAT and you dont want to be going double DHCP so make sure thats disabled on the modem also and configure via router instead to use AUTO ;)
should work.

Many thanks for advice - I will try this and report back.

Tomorrow - as Ive spent all night fannying about with these things trying every different setting under the sun to no avail.

I will use your suggestions as a starting point and see how I get on.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply :):)

Back
Top Bottom