AOC G2460PF

Associate
I was playing BF4 yesterday and there's still something I don't understand about this monitor.

I posted this in one of my reddit posts a few days ago, but I noticed that I get more than 144FPS when vsync is enabled. My understanding is that vsync should cap the frame rate at 144, but it does not - I've seen it above 150. Does anyone know why this happens? I was using Mantle, but I don't think that should cause this issue. However, as a result of using Mantle, I was not able to cap the frame rate to 144 using RivaTuner.

Soldato
Make a text file in the root directory of BF4 (where bf4.exe is) called user.cfg. In the text file have a single line with gametime.maxvariablefps 144

Don't understand why v-sync isn't capping it but at least that will resolve your issue.

Soldato
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/Nixeus-Vue-24-1080P-144Hz-TN-30-144Hz-FreeSync-Monitor-Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rT9KFVAHvc

Nixeus doesn't have the greatest rep, but if such a tiny company can do it, I don't get why any of the major ones can't make this happen.
And the A model is only $280 now.

Not watched the YouTube video but looking at the written review they say it's bottom limit is 30Hz but I can't see where they actually test it and prove it works. Seems like they are just reading off a spec sheet like AOC have.

Same with the overdrive function, they have not made it clear if they have tested with 144hz and freesync on or at 60hz

Associate
I haven't really tested FreeSync enough to confirm exactly what the lower range is. But my initial testing suggested it did go down to 30Hz as AOC confirmed (to me earlier and also here). I haven't actually tested this with VSync disabled yet as I despise tearing. I actually don't have a scientific method to test this either way, it's really just a case of comparing with and without. Framerate limiters are probably a good way, but I tend to find using the 'Resolution Scale' feature and adjusting MSAA on BF4 a good way to test frame rate ranges and fluctuations.

Thanks for this Henson, very useful and quite happy to see that it works on the majority of your titles. Arma3 is one of those ones that should work with the profile in Borderless but not normal Fullscreen. Then of course FreeSync is disabled! Also, did you use the 'DisplayProfile' utility to help easily re-activate the profile if Windows resets on game exit?

after further testing, the colours return to normal in arma after changing aa modes in ccc to multisampling, from adaptive multisampling.

Soldato
All,

I'm pleased to announce a world's first review (I think) of the AOC G2460PF for your viewing enjoyment:

Hope you enjoy it and find it useful!

- TerminatorUK

Really enjoyable watch and full of really useful information on the monitor. I think you summarised it perfectly at the end really. A good entry into the world of FreeSync and you could do a lot worse for the money. But hopefully that overdrive issue can be resolved, as that would certainly make it easier to recommend. :)

Associate
Not watched the YouTube video but looking at the written review they say it's bottom limit is 30Hz but I can't see where they actually test it and prove it works. Seems like they are just reading off a spec sheet like AOC have.

Same with the overdrive function, they have not made it clear if they have tested with 144hz and freesync on or at 60hz

It's in the video. pcper monitor reviews may not be as in depth as PCM's or tftcentral but they're far from amateurs and determining if freesync and overdrive are working isn't exactly rocket science.
Also, Nixeus actually put the freesync range on their spec sheet. The range on the AOC was PR hearsay, it's nowhere on their product page.

Anyway, I just hoped we could've gotten a cheap 1080p 30-144 freesync monitor in Europe, or at the very least 40-144. 10 fps make a big difference on the lower range when you're pushing high settings.

Associate
OP
Really enjoyable watch and full of really useful information on the monitor. I think you summarised it perfectly at the end really. A good entry into the world of FreeSync and you could do a lot worse for the money. But hopefully that overdrive issue can be resolved, as that would certainly make it easier to recommend. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the kind comment - that means a lot coming from you! :)

We unfortunately don't have any high-tech gadgets to produce an in-depth technical review but hopefully it is still a useful resource for everyone to watch purely all-subjective view on the on the look and feel of the monitor.

Associate
i am no reviewer of any kind however i am more than happy with it for the price.
The freesync range is a non issue for me, the only game with lower than 50fps is dcs world and the engine update is coming soon which should resolve lower fps.
the colors are spot on with the settings and profile provided by pcm.

the overdrive being greyed out is a slight issue, however i am hoping it can somehow be resolved. on that note can anybody with the monitor, test the monitor being plugged in via vga with 120 or 144hz selected for me please, is the overdrive function still greyed out? aoc are insisting i test it via vga, however the msi 390 doesn't have vga..

Soldato
i am no reviewer of any kind however i am more than happy with it for the price.
The freesync range is a non issue for me, the only game with lower than 50fps is dcs world and the engine update is coming soon which should resolve lower fps.
the colors are spot on with the settings and profile provided by pcm.

the overdrive being greyed out is a slight issue, however i am hoping it can somehow be resolved. on that note can anybody with the monitor, test the monitor being plugged in via vga with 120 or 144hz selected for me please, is the overdrive function still greyed out? aoc are insisting i test it via vga, however the msi 390 doesn't have vga..

I'm not confident VGA even supports those refresh rates? Anyway, I'm not sure how it is going to play out or the logistics of it, but the issue is going to be addressed. They're sending me an updated model which should give full overdrive control >60Hz. I can't say more about what will happen retrospectively for users that already own the monitor, at this stage.

Associate
OP
I'm not confident VGA even supports those refresh rates? Anyway, I'm not sure how it is going to play out or the logistics of it, but the issue is going to be addressed. They're sending me an updated model which should give full overdrive control >60Hz. I can't say more about what will happen retrospectively for users that already own the monitor, at this stage.

Well I'd like to hope a free RMA service to replace the faulty units would be in order!

Good news though - I hope an AOC will come here to post their plan soon. If nothing concrete manifests itself within the next week, I'm returning mine within the DSR period; I'm not going to run the risk of a 'maybe' fix.

Soldato
Well I'd like to hope a free RMA service to replace the faulty units would be in order!

Good news though - I hope an AOC will come here to post their plan soon. If nothing concrete manifests itself within the next week, I'm returning mine within the DSR period; I'm not going to run the risk of a 'maybe' fix.

Yes that's fair enough. You don't want to risk being stuck with something you don't truly like. :)

Soldato
Ah damn maybe should have read this thread earlier, Just fired off my webnote to get an RMA number. tbh my monitor has been wrapped up and back in its box since Saturday morning.

If they fix the low end range and overdrive I might rebuy, but it seems the gamma issues is a characteristic of the panel

Associate
Can't say I can put my faith in the email process when they want me to test via vga. I said it is rather pointless as vga would never be used. Also overdrive should be useable over display port.. Wish an aoc rep would comment.. If you are getting an updated panel pcm then I reckon we should be sending them back.. Please post your findings.

Back
Top Bottom