AOC G2460PF

Associate
have you guys tried disabling freesync and testing for flicker?

you could be forgiven for missing it in all my blather, but I did comment that when I had my 270 in, and a 144 hz refresh rate set (obviously not 'freesync' as the 270 doesn't support it *) the flicker was absent.

I will test with my 290 again today at some point.

Associate
My guess is it's a combination of problems on AMD side with the new crimson driver combined with a rushed release of the monitor on AOC side.
The long announced driver by AOC will hopefully resolve the issue. And if not: the monitor is advertised as 'flicker-free'. As soon as another 1080p 144Hz Freesync monitor is available, AOC can get their monitor back next year.

Associate
120 Hz + Freesync = still flickering.
48 - 144 Hz Freesync range = still flickering.
Freesync off = no flickering.

Would rather not return the monitor because I had to sell my old monitor to buy this one.

Associate
Just listing my games that I play and do know where and when flicker sets in. Perhaps someone likes to share experience.
Fallout 4, Elite Dangerous, Arma 3 and Warthunder.
I'm fairly sure this monitor will go back unless a driver comes out by the end of next week that resolves this issue.

Associate
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...on-Improves-FreeSync-and-Frame-Pacing-Support

That's great news! But there were a couple of oddities I need to report. At one point, with both a Radeon R9 295X2 and the R9 380X, the ASUS MG279Q exhibited some extreme flickering when in the variable refresh rate range and below. This kind of flicker reminded me of the type we saw on older G-Sync monitors when hitting an instantaneous 0 FPS frame rate - the frame rate doubling was influencing the brightness of the screen to a degree that we could pick it up just looking at it. I am not sure if this flickering we saw is an issue with the driver or with the monitor but I only saw it 2-3 times in my various reboots, monitor swaps and GPU changes.

This is the issue we have... Except, I have it also on previous drivers so it's not something introduced with Crimson.

I think I'll have to pass on this monitor, I have a little less than two weeks to return it. I will try the new cable, and if the driver comes around within that time I will also try that. But this monitor will be returned if nothing is fixed within this period or else I'm stuck with this thing never knowing if there will be a fix, ever.

I'm having trouble with various games:
Just Cause 3 - flicker in the intro movie, in the menu's and random during gameplay.

Counter-Strike: GO - completely crashes the monitor on startup (screen slowly becoming white or a lot of artifacts, need to reboot the monitor. This is however a Crimson issue, because it works fine with Catalyst. Very little flickering while gaming.

Train Simulator - flickering a lot during gameplay. Same start up issue as CS:GO when using Catalyst, not while using Crimson. Desktop also flickering when alt-tabbing to Windows.

My guess? This panel can't handle Freesync with this range. The new iiyama 24" 1080p Freesync monitor is 58-144 Hz, at least they are honest in saying it will flicker at lower frequencies after I asked them why the Freesync floor is that high. I will try to make a driver forcing a 58-144 Hz range, just to see if the flickering is solved then. If so, I would say return while you can. If not, there is still hope. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
it will more than likely be resolved in an amd driver update and is not a monitor issue. freesync is a brand new tech that is still being ironed out.

Sure but I have to do too much compromises with this monitor. Freesync is the killer application that sells this montor for me. Leave freesync out and there are dozens of better monitors you can get.
And you just can't advertise it as flícker-free on the website when there is an issues with flickering.

Associate
Ok guys, I've rigged up a driver which sets the Freesync range to 58-144 Hz. And guess what? So far no flickering at all when Freesync is enabled... Just to compare, 48-144 Hz (the default when using it without driver) also causes visible flicker.

I'd really like it if you could test with this driver to see if it solves the flickering in your games.

But it kinda confirmes what I thought, I think this monitor can't handle such a wide Freesync range without flickering. There is still a chance not all G2460PF's have this issue though, could be some bad scalers that are in some in them.

Driver:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29639/AOC-G2460PF-FREESYNC-58-146.zip

Last edited:
Associate
Ok guys, I've rigged up a driver which sets the Freesync range to 58-144 Hz. And guess what? So far no flickering at all when Freesync is enabled... Just to compare, 48-144 Hz (the default when using it without driver) also causes visible flicker.

I'd really like it if you could test with this driver to see if it solves the flickering in your games.

But it kinda confirmes what I thought, I think this monitor can't handle such a wide Freesync range without flickering. There is still a chance not all G2460PF's have this issue though, could be some bad scalers that are in some in them.

Driver:

hmmm, well - hello again from my parallel universe .... :rolleyes:

turning off freesync (with crimson driver) using a 290 has confirmed that, as with my 270, flicker is then absent, but....

also as with my 270 (which doesn't actually support gaming freesync anyway) I'm b**gered if I can tell a definite difference in game (only tested with morrowind and ESO online) between freesync being on or off.

I appreciate that the windmill demo clearly shows a difference between engaging freesync and otherwise (the cynic in me does quietly wonder if it might be 'rigged' in some way..., given what I'm seeing in-game). But it really is not so obvious in real world use.

In both these games I get no 'below the threshold' v-sync stutter - even going down in to the 20s of fps, let alone higher.
I think it might be a little less smooth than when I have freesync enabled, but, honestly, it's close enough that I really can't be absolutely sure at this point.

Be interested to hear anyone else's experience in trying the same.

Last edited:
Associate

Driver:

I made a clean driver install with your version and I get flicker in games and windmill demo.
The only driver (of the four that are circulating now) that eliminated flicker in windmill demo at 144Hz for me was the beta version provided by PCM2.

Edit: One important thing is to always check the OSD of the monitor if it shows freesync enabled because sometimes it just deactivates itself.

Last edited:
Associate
Weird, the results are so different. Makes it really hard to diagnose the cause.

Just checked if Freesync was still enabled in the OSD with my modded driver: it is not, which is very strange because it looked like it was working in the games I played.

I have another strange issue with this monitor. When I start using it after being off for a while, it's VERY washed out. It will become like it was after a few minutes.

This monitor has too much weird stuff going on. I don't think I will put in any time anymore, I will be returning it. This is not worth my time to be honest. Back to an old 19" LCD it is for the time being. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Weird, the results are so different. Makes it really hard to diagnose the cause.

Just checked if Freesync was still enabled in the OSD with my modded driver: it is not, which is very strange because it looked like it was working in the games I played.

see my post above.

I've just been spending too long this evening flicking between freesync 'on' and 'off' in games - it's really hard to clearly see a difference.
The freesync effect seems mainly down to the monitor and its driver - not sure what the AMD part is supposed to do, but it's very subtle, in-game at least.

Associate
see my post above.

I've just been spending too long this evening flicking between freesync 'on' and 'off' in games - it's really hard to clearly see a difference.
The freesync effect seems mainly down to the monitor and its driver - not sure what the AMD part is supposed to do, but it's very subtle, in-game at least.

It really depends on the game and viewer experience.
Some game engines are worse than others when it comes to tearing. And on the other hand if you just went from 60Hz 4ms to 144Hz 1ms you could be so overwhelmed that you maybe don't even notice the tearing anymore at first.
Ever since I got this monitor I check the OSD when I notice tearing to check if freesync is off again.
Maybe there are so few people complaining about flickering because they think freesync just works even when the monitor turned it off.

Last edited:
Associate
It really depends on the game and viewer experience.
Some game engines are worse than others when it comes to tearing. And on the other hand if you just went from 60Hz 4ms to 144Hz 1ms you could be so overwhelmed that you maybe don't even notice the tearing anymore at first.
Ever since I got this monitor I check the OSD when I notice tearing to check if freesync is off again.
Maybe there are so few people complaining about flickering because they think freesync just works even when the monitor turned it off.

OK, this is puzzling:

where in the monitor's OSD (which I assume you're referring to) is the 'enable freesync' option?
I've never seen it - and it's not shown in the manual where it takes you through the settings / options (although it's not a very good manual, for sure).

the only place I'm aware of where you can formally turn freesync 'on' or 'off' is in the AMD driver.

I'd be grateful if you could clarify this, please, Humbug?

* also, your mentioning 'tearing' means, I think, that people aren't understanding the ramifications of what I've been trying to get across: when I've been turning 'freesync' 'on' and 'off' in the AMD driver, V-sync is still 'on' in the games I've been testing.
So, there's no tearing - but neither is there any of the 'stutter', or 'jerkiness', (or at least, it's not pronounced) that you'd expect when going below the v-sync hz rate etc.

As mentioned, using the Windmill demo, of course one can clearly see the difference when turning freesync 'off' or 'on' (but leaving v-sync 'on') using the button within the demo interface itself - particularly with the red bar 'test' - but I'm not seeing this obvious difference in-game - it's pretty subtle if there at all. Could just be the two games I've been able to test with, as you suggest.

But higher up in the thread, I also mentioned the same situation using a 270 with the Witcher 3 ... and nominally the 270 doesn't support freesync at all!

Last edited:
Associate
Just one thing I think I better try and express more clearly:

when I say that I can't see much of, if any, difference between freesync being turned off or on in the AMD driver, I mean this in the positive sense that the benefits (as I expect to see them) of freesync seem to be still present regardless.

Last edited:
Associate
OK, this is puzzling:

where in the monitor's OSD (which I assume you're referring to) is the 'enable freesync' option?

Sorry for not expressing this clearly enough. What i mean is in the Extras tab where you can see your resolution and your frequencies. Behind your vfrequency it shows in brackets (freesync) if its on.
In the two weeks I own this screen it's become a steady habit to check the OSD as soon as I perceive tearing.
By the way, I never touched the crimson software again after toggling Freesync on.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry for not expressing this clearly enough. What i mean is in the Extras tab where you can see your resolution and your frequencies. Behind your vfrequency it shows in brackets (freesync) if its on.
In the two weeks I own this screen it's become a steady habit to check the OSD as soon as I perceive tearing.
By the way, I never touched the crimson software again after toggling Freesync on.

hmmm, no, I see nothing about freesync whatsover - I have 9 'entries' under 'extras', the last of which is 'v-frequency' - there's no 'freesync' in brackets there.
How do you enable it in the OSD?
What option do you have?

this is getting more and more weird.

The AMD driver clearly thinks the monitor is 'freesync' enabled, and the windmill demo works and shows the same...

is everyone else seeing this option in the OSD?
Henson? PCM2?

Associate
I've seen the (FreeSync) text in the OSD after one of the frequencies. It's a real thing, but it's very strange it's disabling on its own.

Back
Top Bottom