AOC G2460PF

Associate
PCM2 mentioned it in this thread and in his video.
Check post #343 on page 12.

oh, I'm a dimwith (or dimwit even...) - I didn't realise you meant while actually playing a game...

and I've just deleted the driver, thinking I needed to reinstall! what a pain...

Last edited:
Associate
ok, now I've got that sorted.

Humbug - when you see that freesync appears to have been disabled in the OSD - you say you enable it (but also that you don't do anything in the AMD driver) - how do you do this?

you're having to reinstall the driver every time ... or ?

Associate
I restart the PC. God bless my SSD.

ha, indeed.

but all that cleared up - you might want to try turning off freesync in the crimson driver, and playing a game or two with 144hz set as your global refresh rate - (v-sync on ... I think - try it both ways).

as I keep on saying - I find it pretty hard to see the difference and it gets rid of the flicker.

Associate
just a note on the (freesync) being mentioned in the osd.. sometimes you have to check the osd, close the osd and check again. as if you check to early it causes an osd delay, if that makes sense.. i have noticed checking twice is the best way.

edit: if you see freesync disabled in the osd, try the above and checking the game is true full screen(the below)

another note for anyone who hasn't yet realized, freesync only works in true fullscreen and not border less full screen. clicking left 'ctrl' and 'enter' swaps the mode - along with checking the osd. that is all down to the game and not the monitor though.. oh and if AMD can get freesync working no mater the screen mode.

edit2: i have noticed no in game tearing/flicker whilst freesync is enabled. i only see colour flicker when shades of grey and black are present in loading screens/menus. this is down to the refresh rate as it doesn't occur at 60hz.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had this monitor for a couple days now. I've only seen some flickering when tabbing out of a game so far. Running at 120Hz.
Freesync itself seems to be working fine. Never had it turn off by itself afaik. Though I've noticed that the (freesync) in the OSD doesn't always show up right away.

Will try more games to check for flickering.

Associate
I've had this monitor for a couple days now. I've only seen some flickering when tabbing out of a game so far. Running at 120Hz.
Freesync itself seems to be working fine. Never had it turn off by itself afaik. Though I've noticed that the (freesync) in the OSD doesn't always show up right away.

Will try more games to check for flickering.

could be game dependent, hence contradictory anecdotal reports, however I think PCM2 mentioned ESO as one of his test games - I play that too, and have clear flicker* during the loading screens (which can last a long time with ESO :mad:).
He didn't mention it, afaik, so maybe there's some other hardware variable as well (i.e. specific card being used etc ...)

* if setting 144hz as global refresh rate, with freesync enabled in the AMD driver.
although I've only had one brief session of testing, I think the flicker remains with 120hz and 100hz on my system - only disappearing finally if I choose 60hz.

Associate
To sum it all up... Do you guys recommend this monitor?

From my own experience, and what's been reported here: only if you don't need top-flight colour and contrast etc control for graphics work, and if your main interest is the freesync performance below 60 hz (which, with the beta driver available in this thread, is good).

If the Hz range above 60 and up to 144 is important to you, then probably not, given the question mark concerning flickering (although this latter issue could be more to do with the 'syncing' tech in general, and variables connected with, than this specific monitor).

This being said, AOC have a model on the market that offers just this performance with a 60hz cap, and which is significantly less expensive (sorry - dont' have details to hand). I might as well have bought that one.

Associate
The AOC G2460VQ6 (it has a 75Hz cap).

doesn't seem to be in stock much, if anywhere, and also, of course, there might be a question mark over its driver too.
Presumably your beta wouldn't work with it at all.

All in all, I've got what I wanted from the monitor (thanks to your beta driver), but a lot has been left to be desired during the general carry-on.
I get the feeling its spec has proved to be 'too good to be true' for the price, and at this point in the technology's development... ?

Last edited:
Soldato
doesn't seem to be in stock much, if anywhere, and also, of course, there might be a question mark over its driver too.
Presumably your beta wouldn't work with it at all.

All in all, I've got what I wanted from the monitor (thanks to your beta driver), but a lot has been left to be desired during the general carry-on.
I get the feeling its spec has proved to be 'too good to be true' for the price, and at this point in the technology's development... ?

Separate drivers have been provided as per my Tweet. I agree about the availability of the AOC G2460VQ6. And besides, it's an untested model with a completely different panel so you/other users won't know what they're getting themselves in for with that one either.

Associate
From my own experience, and what's been reported here: only if you don't need top-flight colour and contrast etc control for graphics work, and if your main interest is the freesync performance below 60 hz (which, with the beta driver available in this thread, is good).

If the Hz range above 60 and up to 144 is important to you, then probably not, given the question mark concerning flickering (although this latter issue could be more to do with the 'syncing' tech in general, and variables connected with, than this specific monitor).

heh, I feel the opposite way :)
IMO the smoothness and the "connected" feel you get when gaming at 100+ fps with freesync is incredible. It's the #1 reason to get this monitor imo.
For me the biggest downside to this monitor comes with the picture quality, especially in dark areas. It's like the different shades don't blend properly. That's the one thing that has me still doubting to send it back.

I do agree that freesync still needs some work. I still haven't observed any flickering while in a game, but it's annoying while alt-tabbing all the same.
Same with the display corruption you can get sometimes.

Last edited:
Associate
im with showb1z, don't buy a freesync monitor for performance below 60, buy a new gpu instead. gaming is better whatever the tech above 60fps. this monitor is smooth whilst gaming at 60fps+ and for this price your expecting miracles if you think you are going to get a better freesync range, even some of the 500quid jobs still have a low freesync range - 50-75 for example;
this is all down to the panels and not freesync. give it a year or so and you might see ranges as low as 9hz(goodluck gaming at that frequency though
:D).
i would recommend this monitor if you want a good gaming monitor, as long as you can ignore the minor issues(which i can).

Last edited:
Associate
im with showb1z, don't buy a freesync monitor for performance below 60, buy a new gpu instead. gaming is better whatever the tech above 60fps. this monitor is smooth whilst gaming at 60fps+ and for this price your expecting miracles if you think you are going to get a better freesync range, even some of the 500quid jobs still have a low freesync range - 50-75 for example;
this is all down to the panels and not freesync. give it a year or so and you might see ranges as low as 9fps.
i would recommend this monitor if you want a good gaming monitor, as long as you can ignore the minor issues(which i can).

I'm sure you right, from the 'normal' user's point of view, Henson.
my interest, however, has been getting smooth(er) gameplay with games which no GPU (or cpu) known to man will help with in this regard.

A heavily modded Morrowind (or Oblivion), for example, will frequently take pretty much any rig around down into the 30's of fps and lower.
This sort of thing is a minority interest, obviously, but it's still nice to finally have an answer (of sorts) to this abiding issue.

Also, I think the flickering 'issue' is not to be dismissed too lightly - I'm not the only person to have mentioned it - and it's been present in two monitors for me (although of course, that begs the question as the [relative] constant has been the rest of my system and the games I play).

Anyway, given your own comments concerning freesync peformance and prices, perhaps you can see that having a freesync monitor that actually works from 30hz upwards, at the price of this one, is indeed a desirable object - and why I cautiously recommend it from this point of view.

Last edited:
Associate
i understand the need to have freesync work from 30hz(the lower the better), my point is it would be more beneficial to upgrade your hardware to smooth things out than rely on a monitor that has no control of your frames. maybe even wait for 2016 as we should see broader freesync ranges. gaming at 30fps is not ideal in any scenario, a freesync monitor will help, but not fix the issues and that is all.

in regards to morrowind, what are your system specs?, i know when i ran morrowind overhaul 2 or so?, on a 7970 with an i5 [email protected] i was netting around 45-50fps, but this was a long time ago.

the flickering i am 100% convinced is caused by freesync; where i commented earlier regarding a frame limiter for 144hz, i went on to disable freesync and the issues vanished. (if you can video the flicker perhaps, can it be described as the screen appearing to be bouncing up and down very fast, slightly off screen - half a mm or so? this is very noticeable for me in the newish metal gear solid with freesync enabled.

edit: i see AOC still have not managed to get the official driver out.

Last edited:
Associate
i understand the need to have freesync work from 30hz(the lower the better), my point is it would be more beneficial to upgrade your hardware to smooth things out than rely on a monitor that has no control of your frames. gaming at 30fps is not ideal in any scenario, a freesync monitor will help, but not fix the issues and that is all.

in regards to morrowind, what are your system specs?, i know when i ran morrowind overhaul 2 or so?, on a 7970 with an i5 [email protected] i was netting around 45-50fps, but this was a long time ago.

the flickering i am 100% convinced is caused by freesync; where i commented earlier regarding a frame limiter for 144hz, i went on to disable freesync and the issues vanished. (if you can video the flicker perhaps, can it be described as the screen appearing to be bouncing up and down very fast, slightly off screen - half a mm or so? this is very noticeable for me in the newish metal gear solid with freesync enabled.

probably going a bit off-topic here (;)) but my current morrowind has MSGO 3.0, Morrowind rebirth, Morrowind Comes Alive and 2 significant other npc mods, as well as others ...
I have a decent system based around an i7 4790k which my asus m/board does a seemingly good job of dynamically o/clocking to 4.6 ghz, with a r9 290. 16gb of ram, SSDs etc, etc. (I've even mucked around with ram disks - installing gothic 3 in its entirety on one!!)
The game's fine in the wilderness etc, but go to a city / town and ... well, you know.
Oblivion's the same if you do all the LOD stuff, together with the 'unique landscapes' and 'better cities' suites of mods.
All daft stuff to obsess over, of course - but I have ... and I'm not alone, believe me.

anyways ...

more on-topic - I did post about the flicker and that turning freesync off 'cured' it. So in that sense I agree freesync causes it - but I guess I'm wondering if it's more a case of the combination of freesync with certain h/ware (and s/ware) configs.
As mentioned, the fact that PCM2 played ESO (I hope I'm right in saying PCM2) with the monitor, but didn't see the flicker I do speaks for itself, on the face of it.
I wouldn't describe it visually as you do, but these things are so subjective.
I've never really got into videoing stuff like this - although I should I admit.
If I can get 'round to it, I'll post here accordingly.

Associate
sorry for the OT - yea the problem is most definitely the engine, that 4790k of yours isn't being utilized at all in morrowind, the engine being from around 2000, back before multicores where mainstream. not sure if you have tried https://openmw.org/en/ or https://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq if you can wait :)

back OT - no flicker for me in ESO either, with or without freesync enabled.

yes that's true. a video camera or phone would probably do it, at least then we can see what you are experiencing and potentially tell you if anybody else has the same issue.

Last edited:
Associate
sorry for the OT - yea the problem is most definitely the engine, that 4790k of yours isn't being utilized at all in morrowind, the engine being from around 2000, back before multicores where mainstream. not sure if you have tried https://openmw.org/en/ or https://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq if you can wait :)

back OT - no flicker for me in ESO either, with or without freesync enabled.

yes that's true. a video camera or phone would probably do it, at least then we can see what you are experiencing and potentially tell you if anybody else has the same issue.

ok, well that's kind of good to know - the flicker i'm seeing must be peculiar to my h/ware - s/ware config, then.
I should add though, that the flicker's only really obvious on the loading screens.

(*I am aware of the other MW ports - don't know if I like the 'look' of openMW, compared to MSGO MW - which is just an amazing achievement.
Skywind [or is it morroblivion - there are two things on the boil I think?] looks fantastic - and the professionalism with which it's being done is, again, hard to believe, but when will it be finished, as you say?
Also, I've tried every permutation with my cpu - 4 cores / 8 'cores' / assign one core only etc, etc.
Makes no odds, although against received wisdom I find going with H/threading as good as any config, and better than assigning a single core.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom