AOC G2460PF

Associate
Meh... The store made a mistake and sent me a new G2460PF instead of refunding me. So I took the opportunity to test again, but this time with the certificed Accell DP 1.2 cable (which is exactly the same cable as the supplied BizLink cable, so do not bother buying certified cables). Still flickering...

So no, I can't recommend this monitor. It has issues, even though not all users seem to experience it but there are enough reports to make me concerned.

Last edited:
Associate
Meh... The store made a mistake and sent me a new G2460PF instead of refunding me. So I took the opportunity to test again, but this time with the certificed Accell DP 1.2 cable (which is exactly the same cable as the supplied BizLink cable, so do not bother buying certified cables). Still flickering...

So no, I can't recommend this monitor. It has issues, even though not all users seem to experience it but there are enough reports to make me concerned.

'hmmm, interesting...' as the bald bloke in the customs house at the beginning of morrowind says ... ;)

so not so peculiar to my config then ... I wonder what the common thing is between our set-ups given that some aren't seeing it ...

thanks for updating re: use of the 'certified' cable.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

ok so it's time to come out from behind the sofa! Sorry for the lack of communication this past week, we have been doing our best to resolve this issue and can now tell you...

1. Overdrive issue. It’s officially fixed now with a new firmware. Today we have started the rework of our G2460PF stock and it will be delivered to all retailers in Europe within the next two weeks. Of course, our warranty will cover the replacement for end users who bought a G2460PF from the first batch.

2. FreeSync range. The G2460PF does support 35-144Hz when using FreeSync. This week we are releasing an official driver that will improve the current FreeSync range to 35-144Hz. If you just Plug & Play the monitor, without installing any drivers, Windows will set it up at 50-144Hz. The driver will be uploaded on aoc-europe.com before the end of the week.

I hope this helps

Hi,
not to be rude.. but I want other consumers who are using this site and other resources on the internet to know the truth. As I took your comments for valid info because frankly there is barely anything online discussing this besides a few threads, this being one of them.

(as I started to write this I got a call back from AOC USA Engineer that kind of throws me for a loop, ill explain)

Basically here is my story:

I bought a G2460PF from a very large online retailer, at the very end of november, it arrived on dec 2.

Now before I ordered this I did a lot of research and its posts from AOC UK rep that led me to believe that theres no way the stock of (newegg) could possibly still be bad if a real recall was initiated way back in sept/october.

well long story short my monitor did have the overdrive bug, as it was disabled as soon as I set the monitor to 144hz.

So I also believed it when he said in another post on this site that the G2770PF model wasn't affected as they were able to stop the shipments of the bad units.. so seeing how its now december and newegg is showing stock, then these must be the good units.

my g2770pf monitor also disabled overdrive immediately after setting it to 144 hz mode.

I also think its pretty sad we are half way through december almost and the driver that was suppose to be released "this week (way back in sept/october)" still isn't even listed on their website.

anyhow this is where it gets wierd, I stopped writing after the first paragraph to answer my phone and it was an engineer from AOC USA, he says that the overdrive function is automatically disabled in anything over 85hz by the graphics card? and that the overdrive function not working in 144hz mode is intended.

I am confused.

anyhow I would love to get some solid answers about this monitor but its hard to believe anything at this point, thank you for listening to my complaining.

Soldato
Drahken, AOC America is completely separate to AOC Europe and the AOC rep over here can only speak for what the latter is doing. As can I. The European model has been 'fixed' but the North American model may not have.

And if the retailer you mentioned stocks a monitor that its main competitor doesn't, alarm bells should be ringing as to why.

Associate
that's really bad luck, Drahken. I hope you can get it sorted one way or the other to your satisfaction.

Hard to work out what AOC, overall, are doing here... They've made a real pigs-ear of the promotion and support of this monitor thus far.
Certainly here in the UK (and europe) without PCM2's support and provision of the (actually working) beta driver in this thread and on his website, the situation would be a complete mess.

Associate
Don't ask me why or how, but the flickering is gone on my machine...

I've decided to downgrade to Catalyst 15.7.1 once more after reading this and somehow it doesn't flicker anymore. After this, I've installed the beta driver from AOC and checked if Freesync was enabled in the OSD (it was) but it still doesn't flicker at 30-144 Hz Freesync.

Looks like it's a software issue after all. I'll have to test more games tomorrow, but so far so good.

This is with the Accell cable btw, I'm not sure what happens with the included BizLink cable (which again, should be the same cable just with another name).

Associate
Don't ask me why or how, but the flickering is gone on my machine...

I've decided to downgrade to Catalyst 15.7.1 once more after reading this and somehow it doesn't flicker anymore. After this, I've installed the beta driver from AOC and checked if Freesync was enabled in the OSD (it was) but it still doesn't flicker at 30-144 Hz Freesync.

Looks like it's a software issue after all. I'll have to test more games tomorrow, but so far so good.

This is with the Accell cable btw, I'm not sure what happens with the included BizLink cable (which again, should be the same cable just with another name).

now that's interesting and might explain things ... but frustrating too, as I'm not going to lose the 'low framerate' enhancement thingy that Crimson's brought to the table - it's working too well.

having said that, what drivers are others on, whom aren't experiencing 'flicker' issues, I wonder?

Associate
I'm on the latest Crimson driver. What are some games that exhibit obvious flickering?
Cause either I haven't played those yet or I'm blind to the effect :)

Associate
i am on the 15.11.1 crimson if it helps.

thought that might be the case ... maybe it was a (DDU?) re-install that did it for you, GForce?

mind you, I've done a number of driver installs now, over the time I've had the (2) monitor(s), including DDU ... the flicker's remained persistent.

re: it being game dependent - I don't remember noticing it with the Witcher 3 (now uninstalled) - but then neither did I 'test' for it as such.

Associate
On the previous downgrades to Catalyst, I also used DDU. So I'm still not sure what solved the issue.

The game where it happens the most for me is Just Cause 3, but that game has a note stating flicker may occur while using Crimson. Other games are Train Simulator, which flickered badly during the entire gameplay and Counter-Strike GO, which had minor flicker.

I've only tried Just Cause 3 so far, will try the other games later today.

Associate
285 here, which is the same Tonga chip as GForce's 380. Barnacles is a 290. Funny thing is i just sent mine back because of the lack of the official WHQL driver.

edit: reply to the post above

Last edited:
Associate
Hi again everyone,

I ended up sending back the monitor tonight, on top of the overdrive and driver issue it started not detecting a signal via displayport..

I ended up ordering a nixeus vue24A which has identical specs hopefully without any of the problems.

it was hard to find the nixeus in stock anywhere, but I got it for 232 shipped and if anyone is interested in trying it I can tell you the website and coupon combo to get it at that price.

Associate
not yet, however i will try it when i get home from work and report back.

well, I wouldn't get too excited... it appears to be two drivers: the 'official' one for which no details are given ... and .... the 'beta' one (presumably the same one PCM2 supplied) which promises '30-146hz freesync if digital signing is disabled'.

bit puzzling on the face of it.

Associate
well, I wouldn't get too excited... it appears to be two drivers: the 'official' one for which no details are given ... and .... the 'beta' one (presumably the same one PCM2 supplied) which promises '30-146hz freesync if digital signing is disabled'.

bit puzzling on the face of it.

i have checked/opened the driver/ini file in notepad and all seems to be correct and should work without issue(they are installing a service with this driver - maybe as a way to better control how the driver overrides the monitor, unfortunately i cannot test this at the moment). should and actually working are completely different however. but along as AOC have certified the beta version that pcm provided, then everything will be ok.

Last edited:
Associate
i have checked/opened the driver/ini file in notepad and all seems to be correct and should work without issue(they are installing a service with this driver - maybe as a way to better control how the driver overrides the monitor, unfortunately i cannot test this at the moment). should and actually working are completely different however. but along as AOC have certified the beta version that pcm provided, then everything will be ok.

oh, well that's encouraging then.
Seems a bit odd to include the beta if the Official one works correctly.
Do post your results if you get the time.

Back
Top Bottom