AOC G2460PF

Soldato
Just had email confirmation that my AOC G2460PF has been shipped!

Way earlier than the 2nd October predicted ETA - nice on OCuK! :D

Oh wow, hadn't placed my order yet as figured stock would be a while. Tempted to order now but could wait and see if you're happy with yours, will you be able to post some initial impressions?

Associate
OP
Hi folks, my AOC G2460PF arrived today and here are my first impressions:

Good bits:

- It's very smooth to game with (zero tearing)
- The input lag appears to be pretty good
- Freesync worked immediately without any fussing other than enabling it in the catalyst control panel when prompted
- No dead / stuck pixels (yay!)
- Hardly any backlight bleed
- For a TN panel, the gamma uniformity isn't bad (there isn't severe differences in contrast and brightness between the top and bottom)
- Viewing angles aren't great but also aren't awful either - it's not bad for a TN panel

Bad bits:

- You can definitely tell it's a TN panel - the panel is overly bright and colours are very washed out. It isn't even as good as the AOC G2460PG I had briefly in this regard. Compared to an IPS panel it is very poor indeed :(
- When 144hz is enabled, the 'overdrive' function in the OSD is greyed out and set to disabled. The pixel response time doesn't seem quite as 'epic' as it did with the AOC G2460PG I had before and I'm worried that overdrive isn't functioning as a result. This isn't a freesync bug as it occurs when freeysnc is disabled as well - it would be good for an AOC rep to comment on this if this is a known bug / fault or whether at 144hz the overdrive is set to a fixed rate that cannot be changed or something similar

In short - early days. I'm on the fence at the moment; it's not bad for the price but it isn't blowing me away either. I guess the good news is that there isn't an absolute show-stopper (like epic backlight bleed and loads of dead pixels etc...).

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope - no strobing mode unfortunately.

That's a shame :(. Seems like the only companies to do their own strobe have been

BenQ
LG ( 24gm77 has it)
Eizo (fg2421)

All the others just seem to rely on g-sync for strobe :( and out of those three, only benq have any strobing freesync :(.

Wish others would get in on it.

Man of Honour
- You can definitely tell it's a TN panel - the panel is overly bright and colours are very washed out. It isn't even as good as the AOC G2460PG I had briefly in this regard. Compared to an IPS panel it is very poor indeed :(

Might need to do like with the ROG Swift (which has horrendously bleached looking colours out the box) and drop the gamma down to 0.86-0.92 via software - not ideal but on the Swift doing that the difference in colour saturation is massive and while it won't fix the view angles at a casual glance brings it passably inline to the IPS I have beside it.

Soldato
I should be receiving this for review today or tomorrow, although won't get to try it out until tomorrow. I can advise on settings, but in the meantime I would recommend trying the different gamma modes as well, if you haven't already. I will also say this. I have noticed from all monitors I've dealt with which use that same AU Optronics M240HW01 panel that there is immense inter-unit variation in the panels themselves. Often these aren't corrected for properly by the manufacturers, leading to differences in gamma behaviour (and of course colour temperature, as expected). So it may even be worth swapping it for another, but I will advise once I get my own. If I'm honest, I wish they'd sort the panel out or in fact use a new one. That panel has been overused to high heaven on 24" 144Hz monitors now. :p All XL24 models, the ASUS VG248QE, AOC G2460PG and others use this same panel and they all show strange inter-unit variation beyond what you'd normally expect. The 27" models show some variation as well (even the ROG SWIFT does), but let's not go there for now.

Regarding the 144Hz behaviour with overdrive, I will inform AOC of this immediately. I noted exactly the same thing on the AOC G2460PQU I reviewed a while ago but that was supposedly rectified in newer revisions. Overdrive will be disabled at 144Hz if the setting is greyed out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the quick feedback Termintor, that's a bit disappointing. Although as somebody who has only ever had TN panels I guess it may not bother me as much as some. I thought it a bit odd as most people seem very happy with the G2460PG, but I guess down to luck based on what PCM2 is saying.

Also the more I look at pictures the more I'm put off by the physical styling, though not a massive issue. Think I'll wait to see what you think of yours PCM2, look forward to it. :)

Shame there is such a lack of 24" Freesync!

Associate
OP
I should be receiving this for review today or tomorrow, although won't get to try it out until tomorrow. I can advise on settings, but in the meantime I would recommend trying the different gamma modes as well, if you haven't already. I will also say this. I have noticed from all monitors I've dealt with which use that same AU Optronics M240HW01 panel that there is immense inter-unit variation in the panels themselves. Often these aren't corrected for properly by the manufacturers, leading to differences in gamma behaviour (and of course colour temperature, as expected). So it may even be worth swapping it for another, but I will advise once I get my own. If I'm honest, I wish they'd sort the panel out or in fact use a new one. That panel has been overused to high heaven on 24" 144Hz monitors now. :p All XL24 models, the ASUS VG248QE, AOC G2460PG and others use this same panel and they all show strange inter-unit variation beyond what you'd normally expect. The 27" models show some variation as well (even the ROG SWIFT does), but let's not go there for now.

Regarding the 144Hz behaviour with overdrive, I will inform AOC of this immediately. I noted exactly the same thing on the AOC G2460PQU I reviewed a while ago but that was supposedly rectified in newer revisions. Overdrive will be disabled at 144Hz if the setting is greyed out.

Thanks PCM - that information is massively appreciated.

It definitely feels that the overdrive is off - the image is very smooth but the response time is not 'tight' for a 1ms gtg screen - it's difficult to describe.

I have had logged a support ticket with AOC to see what they have to say about it as well - unless it is fixed then I don't understand where they would get their 1ms gtg figure from as I'm sure that requires overdrive to meet.

Regarding the colours, I improved these slightly by using the 'gamma 3' setting and dropping the constant to around 30 in the OSD but it's not exactly night and day.

I'm happy to try and correct the gamma in software, however, I'm pretty sure this isn't foolproof as doesn't games often tend to ignore this (or is that ICC profiles?) leaving the windows desktop fine but games still looking 'off'?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick feedback Termintor, that's a bit disappointing. Although as somebody who has only ever had TN panels I guess it may not bother me as much as some. I thought it a bit odd as most people seem very happy with the G2460PG, but I guess down to luck based on what PCM2 is saying.

Also the more I look at pictures the more I'm put off by the physical styling, though not a massive issue. Think I'll wait to see what you think of yours PCM2, look forward to it. :)

Shame there is such a lack of 24" Freesync!

No problem - I think you need to take my view with a pinch of salt - I'm a big fan of IPS screens and this feels like a big dip in image quality for the same of smoothness.

The Freesync operation and smoothness is very impressive though but it's a shame that the overdrive function seems to be disabled.

Soldato
Thanks PCM - that information is massively appreciated.

It definitely feels that the overdrive is off - the image is very smooth but the response time is not 'tight' for a 1ms gtg screen - it's difficult to describe.

I have had logged a support ticket with AOC to see what they have to say about it as well - unless it is fixed then I don't understand where they would get their 1ms gtg figure from as I'm sure that requires overdrive to meet.

Regarding the colours, I improved these slightly by using the 'gamma 3' setting and dropping the constant to around 30 in the OSD but it's not exactly night and day.

I'm happy to try and correct the gamma in software, however, I'm pretty sure this isn't foolproof as doesn't games often tend to ignore this (or is that ICC profiles?) leaving the windows desktop fine but games still looking 'off'?

It's always best to try to improve things with the OSD rather than through the graphics driver, yes. I know a few tricks with AOC models to change their gamma behaviour beyond the 3 settings available, but I'll have to see if it's possible with this one first. I am eager to hear what they have to say about the 144Hz overdrive thing. It seems like they've taken a step backwards in that regard. :(

Associate
OP
It's always best to try to improve things with the OSD rather than through the graphics driver, yes. I know a few tricks with AOC models to change their gamma behaviour beyond the 3 settings available, but I'll have to see if it's possible with this one first. I am eager to hear what they have to say about the 144Hz overdrive thing. It seems like they've taken a step backwards in that regard. :(

I'm very eager to know as well and I'm very appreciative of your help with this as information on this monitor being so new is scarce at the moment.

I'll also post back here if I get a reply from my support request on the subject.

Also very interested to know your 'tricks' if you confirm it is possible with this monitor.

Soldato
I'm very eager to know as well and I'm very appreciative of your help with this as information on this monitor being so new is scarce at the moment.

I'll also post back here if I get a reply from my support request on the subject.

Also very interested to know your 'tricks' if you confirm it is possible with this monitor.

I've got the product manager on the case, so don't worry too much if the support guy doesn't really help you out. :)

Soldato
Was seriously thinking of buying this when I got home from work today but think I will hold fire now.

So with overdrive disabled does in feel like input lag?

I'm going to upgrading from a benq 24" TN panel which I think the specs says 1ms response time.

Associate
OP
Was seriously thinking of buying this when I got home from work today but think I will hold fire now.

So with overdrive disabled does in feel like input lag?

I'm going to upgrading from a benq 24" TN panel which I think the specs says 1ms response time.

No - it doesn't feel like input lag at all (i.e. you mouse movements are light and responsive and don't feel heavy).

The screen is very 'smooth' and shows no tearing - it was a delight to play with Battlefield: Hardline when I tested it.

It feels like you are playing on a 4-5ms response time IPS panel rather than a properly overdriven TN panel; it is smooth with no tearing but is a tiny bit blurry in fast-past games which you would not expect from 1ms gtg TN panel.

It's certainly not 'bad' by any stretch of the imagination (and obviously has the advantage of zero overshoot with overdrive being off) but it feels like it is missing a trick with a true 1ms TN panel response time (which was why I got the monitor in the first place).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom