1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPad Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Spit, Sep 9, 2015.

?

Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

1. Yes

96 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. No

249 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. Whoop

Wise Guy

The wife has kindly offered to buy me a new iPad for Christmas as I've had my iPad Air five years now and it's limiting my sofa gaming selection :p

I was all set to just get the 9.7" (2018) and then I saw the new 11" Pro but I really can't decide if it's worth double the price.

As mentioned already, the Pro doesn't have the greatest support and reviews suggest black borders on a lot of current software due to the new aspect ratio of the screen so will I find it annoying...

Does anyone have any thoughts on buying the 128Gb 9.7" now and just buying another one in three years (thus equaling the mad price of the pro pretty much).

I do fancy a Pro and a larger screen but I'm balking at the price. :o

2. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

Most apps just need to be recompiled for a newer version of XCode, shouldn’t take that long for apps to adapt.

3. EVH

Don

Depends if you need that size? Only you can answer that.

9.7" would be fine for most things, but some people prefer a larger screen as they'll use it as a TV replacement. Likewise, a smaller one might be easier to take on holiday vs the larger 11". On the flip size, the larger one could be beneficial when multitasking (side by side apps) so there's an argument to be had there.

If money is an issue I'd get the smaller one and upgrade sooner or the larger one and keep it until it dies :p

4. JunglistE

Mobster

If the USB-C would've allowed it to read external storage devices I would've traded my 10.5" in a heartbeat. The fact it doesn't do that put me off right away and honestly I doubt Apple would ever let that happen as it would stop people buying the massive ones. I literally only use my Pro for media consumption. I would've been fine with a regular iPad but I wanted the 120Hz screen and superior audio. Upgrading again would be silly - though I really like the look of it. Maybe next year.

I don't know what your mobile phone situation is but why not just tether? I'm sure you could hustle a decent deal. I pay £20 a month for unlimited data and unlimited tethering (only 200 minutes though - which is fine for me as I hate phone calls)

5. Vargas

Mobster

Absolutely.

6. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

I have to say in my line of work I find the iPad Pro indispensable, I’m not saying that a laptop wouldn’t do it too but no issues from me.

There’s almost full versions of everything heavy duty I use, Photo editing, graphic design, Office apps.

7. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Yeah I’d like full mouse support, I currently use a Citrix Mouse for logging in remotely, virtual desktop is a nightmare without it!

8. mulpsmebeauty

Mobster

The 120hz screen is a massive difference over the 60hz on the iPad 2018 in my opinion. Get into a shop and see if you agree.

9. Rooky007

Mobster

Which photo editing?

10. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

Guessing Affinity Pro, at least until Photoshop comes out.

Btw got the new 12.9" today, haven't had a chance to play with it unfortunately but it's almost rude how much smaller it feels compared to the previous gen, despite the screen being the same size.

11. Raumarik

Capodecina

I have the older gen 10.5" iPad pro. Not interested in the new one but the screen frequency is enormously important if you use the pencil or even finger tip to do graphics work. People don't realise the improvement until they try it though.

12. stuman

Wise Guy

Pencil?

13. dink

Gangster

I don’t know what is going on with apple QC this year, 3 iPhones before I got one without fault, and now my new iPad Pro 12.9 makes a creaking / popping sound when you press the lower part of the screen, as if there’s no adhesive in that area, unbelievable.

14. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

I have to admit that while on the face of it the new Pro seems a nice upgrade from the “Gen 2” there are a few things bothering me, the battery life doesn’t seem to be a patch on my old 512GB/LTE model which seems a bit strange - might be the first week that its restoring a lot of stuff, etc in the background but battery life doesn’t seem anywhere near as good.

Also seem to be struggling with much slower WiFi download speeds which is puzzling me a bit, on the same WiFi router as before but almost half the speed and a lot of slowness in Safari.

Seems to power through most things but I have to admit that I’m half wondering if I should get it swapped and see if the battery is better on another one.

15. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Affinity Photo does almost anything Photoshop will (albeit it takes a bit of learning) I’ve done very little editing on anything but iPad this year and that’s using huge RAW files (42/45mp) from the Sony A7r3 and Nikon D850... almost bought a Surface Pro 6 as I’m doing more website work and SharePoint type Development but I’ve always found the Surface Pro line to be decent portable laptops but rubbish tablets... I suppose I could swap my MBP for a Windows based machine and keep the iPad as my mobile machine though.

16. HACO

Hitman

‌Battery is the reason I'm sticking to my 10.5 even though this new one seems so much fancier. Most reviews say it's average so I doubt something is wrong with yours.

17. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Hmm most folk (users rather than reviewers) seemed to be getting “like for like”, if it really is this bad it might be going back.....

18. Rilot

Don

Well, after seeing one I caved and ordered an 11" iPad Pro.
    Should be quite an upgrade from my Air 2.

19. waspy88

Wise Guy

The 11" is so nice. I tried the 12.9 in the shops, the bezels look nicer as it is a bigger screen but woah its huge!! I cant hold it comfortably with my hand.

20. haszek

Wise Guy

When you connect new ipad to power bank, is it gonna be charged from power bank or is it gonna start charging power bank?