• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
So...based on all the above, would I be right in thinking that the ETA for an MSI Trio placed around 21:40 could be politely summed up as "Yikes!"?

Also, if I could make a suggestion - given that the Trio still said ETA 18th Sept when I placed that order, wouldn't it be an idea to tie the preorder count for an item to the number expected on the ETA so that when the ordering system has X preorders stacked up for X items, it goes to the generic "Preorder" status with no ETA? That way you don't have customers going for items that they think are going to imminently come into stock when in fact that stock is already spoken for and said customers end up just a touch annoyed.

Associate
Fair point. Guess it also depends on supply. If that site only has a queue of 1000 because it generally doesn’t do as many sales, maybe they get fewer units of stock sent to them too, so queue goes down slower

I ordered 14:09 so hoping I’m somewhere near the front, but still sounds a way off
I have a feeling I am at the back of the queue, if u think about it, placed order at 216 but confirmation comes around 8pm, the money was taken at 216, but I think the queue could be based on when they actually confirmed your order which means those that paid by card might be at the back and those that paid with PayPal could be magically at the front...

Soldato
@Gibbo Please explain why the order numbers in the "OUT OF STOCK" email are completely different to the order number that's on the orders section of your website. According to your broken system my order number has gone up by 1800000+

Read your original order confirmation email, there are 2 unique reference numbers for your order.

The original confirmation mail says "Order Number: <one on the out of stock email> (Internet Reference: OC<number you're used to looking at>)

Now stop being a moron and learn to read. You haven't been moved anywhere in the queue.

Associate
Read your original order confirmation email, there are 2 unique reference numbers for your order.

The original confirmation mail says "Order Number: <one on the out of stock email> (Internet Reference: OC<number you're used to looking at>)

Now stop being a moron and learn to read. You haven't been moved anywhere in the queue.
A lot of people including me never received an order confirmation email, so I only have 2 numbers to go by, the one on my account, and the one on the no stock email.

Associate

No need to be rude, some people haven't received a confirmation email but have received the out of stock email so in our eyes there are 2 different order numbers

Soldato
Yeah... It pretty much is that easy nowadays. All the major cloud providers offer automated scaling of infrastructure in response to demand for exactly this kind of situation and they have done for years.
Right so how would you start moving all the infrastructure over, ensuring databases align and work correctly in the new environment, making sure nothing is lost and anything not supported can be backed up with code changes as required? can you be confident that your cloud provider has correct security inline with any EU considerations (because a lot do not). Who are you going to get into do all that work and how much will it cost, what is the risk of doing all of this? Is it significant of an investment to make or is their little gain? Is there enough budget set aside to complete the work in the first place and what other project would it impact if there wasn't?

You could be looking at 6-12 months of work to prepare and then test. OCUK isnt some mom and pop store, its one element of a larger company.

Its cool that you got all your info from a bit of fancy marketing though! unfortunately the real world works a bit differently

Associate
Given that the RTX3090 release is next Thursday I expect many people will be very cautious ordering when the thing costs so much money, and given the chaos, but then there's the massively more popular RTX3070 release in October at a time when the RTX3080 aren't even looking to be anywhere near fulfilled, it could cause complete chaos for retaillers, and massive frustration for buyers.

I wonder if nVidia have deliberately not given a release date for the 3070 because they were waiting to see how great the demand was and how fast the backlog was being sorted first.

Soldato
A lot of people including me never received an order confirmation email, so I only have 2 numbers to go by, the one on my account, and the one on the no stock email.
No need to be rude, some people haven't received a confirmation email but have received the out of stock email so in our eyes there are 2 different order numbers

Sorry gents, not meaning to be insulting - just a bit tired of reading the same or similar daft questions being asked constantly...

I should probably bow out of this thread now anyway, will stick to Gibbo's new sticky thread for updates :o

Associate
Everyone just needs to calm down, relax and wait for their card to come - otherwise ask for a refund with the link they have provided.

That's an oversimplification of the matter. Enthusiasts have been waiting for this release for many many months. Say they order a card from OC at 14:15 that says it'll be in stock tomorrow and pay for expedited delivery, they're completely forgiven for thinking that they'll get their card within the next 48 hours.. so they put their feet up and go about their business.. when what they should have been doing is ordering from a different site that did have stock.

Associate
I have a feeling I am at the back of the queue, if u think about it, placed order at 216 but confirmation comes around 8pm, the money was taken at 216, but I think the queue could be based on when they actually confirmed your order which means those that paid by card might be at the back and those that paid with PayPal could be magically at the front...

I’d expect they use the “Date ordered” date/time in the order confirmation email and later stock email. It’s data they’ve clearly got available to them. I think the emails were just delayed because their systems were dead! Could be wrong though

Associate
Yeah... It pretty much is that easy nowadays. All the major cloud providers offer automated scaling of infrastructure in response to demand for exactly this kind of situation and they have done for years.
Only for the webserver scaling though. They had a cap of 480 connections to the database at a time so unless they are sharding or clustering which I doubt, that would be their bottleneck. Even with scaling it just can’t be done quickly enough to handle thousands in a shot, it’ll just fall over continuously as we saw.

Associate
I'm happy to wait but saying october, november, december doesn't really give anyone a rough estimation. Customers deserve atleast that much. How hard is it to communicate regarding stock? Also if stock is expected to be late why the hell are the orders still open for pre-order without anyone warning that you might not get it till December? Communication is key here.

Yeah I agree - £700 odd quid with nothing to show for it for nearly 3 months is irritating, to say the least.

This is definitely the worst I've seen from Nvidia - massive failure to communicate or to even try to manage expectations. If ocuk knew the stock situation in advance, it really was shoddy.

Soldato
@Gibbo My order went in for a Ventus at 14:38 for the original MSRP and the freebies... 2 questions: Will you be shipping orders out based on first-come-first served or will I keep getting pushed back because Larry or whoever paid the new price £70 higher so he gets fulfilled earlier? And any idea what's going on with the freebies or is that gonna be a waiting game with nVidia?

And we appreciate you keeping us in the loop as much as you can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom