Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Soldato
Not sure whether I like this Spartans v Athens thing. At the moment I`m playing on the side of the Spartans and slowly converting all the Athenian strongholds but then if you do this you dont attack the Spartan locations/buildings although you can but it just weakens the Spartan hold on that region but then again if you want to make it all Spartan regions then you miss out on the locations, bit of a catch 22 and not sure what the benefit will be. At the moment I made my way across then down the middle. Like others have said its been another "just one more go" before you know it the time is 1am. At the moment I`m a bit fatigued with it so given it a rest the quests and battles are becoming a bit repetitive. Although I have had the chicken attack I was running along and then this chicken startled me so I did a Spartan Kick on it and it flew over the near barn then 3 villages ran at me and tried to attack me. My bounty rating when up to 1 Mercenary then a nearby Merc attacked me and killed me. Whats annoying in battles is when you hit a key and nothing happens. Amount of time I've hit parry and my guy did nothing and got clobbered.

Soldato
I'm loving it the more I'm playing it. I'm half way through the story according to % completion and it has been strong so far. We'll structured with some Interesting characters and good locations.

I've been thinking and priority for me in the next game, wherever it is set, is to reintroduce Assassin's Creed gameplay to the series. By that I mean the following-

Blending in with crowds
Benches
Pickpocketing
Hiding spots
Eavesdropping
Different merchants

A bit deeper stealth and it would reach.new heights.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think I’d sell my left kidney to fund a futuristic/cyberpunk version of this game.

So just as you have abilities, you could have cyberware. You could have laser guns instead of bows. You could have spaceships and planets instead of boats and islands.

Man of Honour
I'm loving it the more I'm playing it. I'm half way through the story according to % completion and it has been strong so far. We'll structured with some Interesting characters and good locations.

I've been thinking and priority for me in the next game, wherever it is set, is to reintroduce Assassin's Creed gameplay to the series. By that I mean the following-

Blending in with crowds
Benches
Pickpocketing
Hiding spots
Different merchants

A bit deeper stealth and it would reach.new heights.

As long as they dont bring back the ultra tedious and annoying , follow missions.

Soldato
As long as they dont bring back the ultra tedious and annoying , follow missions.
Oh god no!

Or the chase sequences. They were the worst. As with all of the worst things in the series, the pinnacle was Black Flag...You have to chase a 60 year old guy around a town. You can't catch him, he runs at the same pace as you and stops at a predetermined point. If you drop behind a little bit it's game over. Urgh!

Soldato
Gave it a good hammering yesterday. It dips from 60fps now and again but never that low and no stutters. Are you running from SSD or HDD?

running it from my SSD.

It'll be running no issues everything set to the highest preset and it'll chug along happily at ~60fps during fights/city but every now and then it almost freezes to about 1/2fps then shoots back up after a second. It's really weird and never had with another game before.

Soldato
What setup are you using from HW and interface perspective?

HW: ultra preset, clouds medium, shadows high, 1080p = 60fps with ocassional dip to 50s in cities (that is on 16 thread ryzen 2700X and 1070, this game is embarassingly unoptimized).

Interface - XP, alerts and messages, enemy warnings, mercenary meter, controls - disabled, rest enabled.

I wish I could disable the icons of those horrible randomly generated quests..

Soldato
The only hud elements I have on are loot and ability widgets. I don't miss any of the others!

The only one I do sometimes have to put on is enemy health and level , as I don't really know how much damage I'm doing to enemies, but that also makes enemies appear through walls etc so I prefer it off.
I did start the game with the compass on, but it's much better without.

HUD options are improved since Origins. I found that Origins didn't quite have enough options. There were options, but not individual options, so you either had no HUD, which wasn't enough, or their minimal option, which still showed too much for me.

Soldato
I think I’d sell my left kidney to fund a futuristic/cyberpunk version of this game.

So just as you have abilities, you could have cyberware. You could have laser guns instead of bows. You could have spaceships and planets instead of boats and islands.

Umm cyberpunk 2077 ?

Odyssey feels quite similar to Witcher 3 if it had a baby with Black Flag, I'm enjoying it and glad I skipped over Origins to get this + the season pass on the sale and looking forward to AC3 remastered for free (it's what swung me to buy gold edition of Odyssey)

Soldato
What setup are you using from HW and interface perspective?

HW: ultra preset, clouds medium, shadows high, 1080p = 60fps with ocassional dip to 50s in cities (that is on 16 thread ryzen 2700X and 1070, this game is embarassingly unoptimized).

Interface - XP, alerts and messages, enemy warnings, mercenary meter, controls - disabled, rest enabled.

I wish I could disable the icons of those horrible randomly generated quests..

i7 9700K and a RTX 2080 playing at 1440p. Everything set to the highest available apart from AA which was one down.

It doesn't happen often enough to really annoy me but it's frequent. Maybe once every 45 minutes or so

Soldato
I'm starting to wonder if they have tested all of these abilities. I've got a cool legendary spear that I really like and the overpower ability in it is potentially good. You do like a 7hit combo that hits people in front of you.... Only the 2nd or third hits almost always stagger the enemy and knocks them out of reach for the remaining hits. Really annoying!

Associate
Just started playing this with the game set to Exploration mode, quite enjoying it as a free roam game so far.
Level 17 at the moment and have just completed the quest where you meet the Wolf of Sparta, so very early... I over levelled a bit before that quest because I got distracted by raiding random camps and stealth killing everyone.

Had one major bug where I jumped off a ledge to assassinate someone and ended up stuck inside the rocks unable to use fast travel to get out, luckily it wasn't too far after a save point so I didn't have to repeat much.

Soldato
The whole storyline on Mykonos is excellent. Best part of the game so far for me. It is pretty much a self contained arc that is pretty big, is set in one the best locations and features good gameplay, characters and meaningful choices. Top class!

They really should have taken time to refine the mechanics though instead of just thrkeing everything in. Enemy AI is awful. I just had two mercenaries teleport next to and start attacking me whilst I was in the camp of an ally. My allies just continued walking around, then when I accidentally hit on fo them the whole camp of my allies joined them in attacking me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom