Assassin’s Creed Origins

I still can't believe how much nice details and beautiful places/interiors there are in Alexandria alone. You can literally just walk around the place and sightsee. It's almost big enough to be a setting for a full game and there's so much more. I'm 17 hours in and maybe scratched around 1/4 of the map (and I mean scratched). Barely progressed the main story (met Aya in the hideout) because of all the side content and beautiful places.

I can't remember the last time I've seen such an impressive and immersive game world. The gameplay loop is also quite addictive with all the upgrades, legendary weapons etc. It's still AC with all it's niggles but really fun to play and upgraded where it most counts.

Just thought I’d say, this game is available free alongside certain Samsung SSD’s from qualifying retailers. (Not looked at who they are myself although I know a couple).

Check out HUKD if you were perhaps needing an SSD and wanted this game too :p

Just thought I’d say, this game is available free alongside certain Samsung SSD’s from qualifying retailers. (Not looked at who they are myself although I know a couple).

Check out HUKD if you were perhaps needing an SSD and wanted this game too :p

Bought a SSHD drive and received this game for free, but have to wait 2 weeks to get code. So next Friday is the my 2 week wait. It’s so hard waiting. Want to play this so bad :(

I still can't believe how much nice details and beautiful places/interiors there are in Alexandria alone. You can literally just walk around the place and sightsee. It's almost big enough to be a setting for a full game and there's so much more. I'm 17 hours in and maybe scratched around 1/4 of the map (and I mean scratched). Barely progressed the main story (met Aya in the hideout) because of all the side content and beautiful places.

I can't remember the last time I've seen such an impressive and immersive game world. The gameplay loop is also quite addictive with all the upgrades, legendary weapons etc. It's still AC with all it's niggles but really fun to play and upgraded where it most counts.
I agree with you, I'm 40 hours in and maybe even done a bit less then you. Although I been hunting for material quiet a bit so not really explored as much per see. If you see several animals you hunting with red skulls you sort of tend to turn the other way. :p

If anyone interested I got a full map made, with assistant of @touch since my photo shop skill is severely lacking. Screen shooted it early in game though, now I epxlored several more areas then showing on the full map.

DhYekaN.jpg

I must admit I very rarely go by "commercial" reviews these days, I prefer players opinions (although I ignore every single player who marks the game down for either loot boxes or Ubisoft or DRM). It didnt do too bad really with various professional reviews though to be fair, IGN gave it a 9/10 , 84% from PC Gamer, 5/5 from GamesRadar and it was nominated for Best of Show at this years E3.

Quite a lot of games that received glowing reviews weren't really all that when I played them and conversely.

This game is very good and the reviews are mostly very positive. What's more, it was reviewed unpatched. I haven't encountered any significant bugs in my 18 hours of playtime, nor did the game crash even once.

It deserves to be played for the world alone, it's just something else. I always play these games mainly for the setting and this time they've outdone themselves.

The only bothersome thing is the fact that performance takes a dip in Alexandria regardless of shadow quality settings etc. which results in some stuttering. GPU sits at only 50-60% usage and the CPU gets hammered. Might be down to DRM and might be just a problem with the engine. There were some horror stories involving DRM which turned out to be completely false after said protection was patched out.

Quite a lot of games that received glowing reviews weren't really all that when I played them and conversely.

This game is very good and the reviews are mostly very positive. What's more, it was reviewed unpatched. I haven't encountered any significant bugs in my 18 hours of playtime, nor did the game crash even once.

It deserves to be played for the world alone, it's just something else. I always play these games mainly for the setting and this time they've outdone themselves.

The only bothersome thing is the fact that performance takes a dip in Alexandria regardless of shadow quality settings etc. which results in some stuttering. GPU sits at only 50-60% usage and the CPU gets hammered. Might be down to DRM and might be just a problem with the engine. There were some horror stories involving DRM which turned out to be completely false after said protection was patched out.

If it only occurs in Alexandria then surely it is a game engine problem rather than DRM? If it was DRM you'd expect high CPU usage randomly wouldn't you and not in specific locations?

Yup Alexandria hits my PC hard. Simply down to the amount of people, buildings etc being rendered and game engine not being all the spectacular. Aside from the is smooth everywhere else for most the part so not DRM Imo.

If it only occurs in Alexandria then surely it is a game engine problem rather than DRM? If it was DRM you'd expect high CPU usage randomly wouldn't you and not in specific locations?

CPU usage is high in other places as well but I didn't check thoroughly last time, I'll try later in the evening.

Probably because there is so much going on in the world. Ubisoft say it isn't drm related and unsurprisingly it was the pirates who said it was. Just wish more was pushed to the GPU.

Haven't even made it to Alexandria yet - too busy exploring everywhere else!

Last edited:
Frankly, I'm very sceptical about this being DRM-related at all. It's a huge world with incredibly detailed locations and lots of NPCs performing daily tasks, travelling, setting up camps in the desert at night etc. I don't think Ubisoft would be stupid enough to intentionally cripple the game with excess DRM.

There might simply be something wrong with the engine that overloads the CPU and prevents the GPU from being fully utilised. Or the game is just that CPU-heavy.

Something's definitely off in Alexandria as I get pretty similar performance with shadows on ultra high as on high, same with environment detail.

tempted by this, the whole DRM thing, is it and the game prone to loading up certain cores to do people with higher core counts suffer less issues?

currently running a 1600x and 390 if there are known AMD issues.

I don't think Ubisoft would be stupid enough to intentionally cripple the game with excess DRM

I think you underestimate the lengths publishers will go to to ensure as many people part with their money as possible, regardless of the quality of the product, especially if they buy through a non refundable platform (uPlay)

tempted by this, the whole DRM thing, is it and the game prone to loading up certain cores to do people with higher core counts suffer less issues?

I have a 1600 clocked at 3.7Ghz and a RX 470 4GB. Working fine for me at around 40fps on medium settings. No issues with DRM or it freezing.

I think you underestimate the lengths publishers will go to to ensure as many people part with their money as possible, regardless of the quality of the product, especially if they buy through a non refundable platform (uPlay)

I'm going off the fact that there's already been a similar story (not one, I think) where pirates were claiming Denuvo kills performance and it was patched out later with absolutely no difference. I know publishers are greedy but such actions create so much bad PR that it's not worth it in the end, especially given Ubisoft's less than stellar track record.

If you're on AMD I'd hold off for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom